HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #766 of 1,195
Really bummed I missed these by a single day....I guess I'll be patient and give it some time till somehow some pop-up in the FS forum or if there's another sale.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #767 of 1,195
1. You have to push it in a little further to make it click. I have to use my nail to make it click.

2. I didn't received a manual either I don't think anyone did but I found navigating around the HM-602 to be pretty straight forward.
    I personal love how simple the navigation on the HM-602.

3. When I first got he HM-602 it got really hot but after I about a week of use it doesn't seem to get a hot as it use to.

4. I am not sure what you are talking about could u please post a picture of the cord?

Quote:
I have 4 concerns.

1.  I cannot make my SD card adopter for a mini SD card piggy-back click in and stay in, it does not click in, it never gets to that point, as it does into my laptop, where it clicks in easily.

2.  I did not receive a manual, for how the buttons work. I experimented some, but I cannot get it to do things in a way that I can predict repeatedly, like:
To stop a song that was playing and to click to get the next song. I tried and tried to shut the song off or to get the next one, no luck.  I had to shut it off and try get another song. After clicking here there and there and there, I got another song but am not sure what made it work.

3.  I pressed the golden High gain and low gain button into high gain, and after 30 minutes the unit got so hot I was afraid to leave it in that position. Switched it to the low gain and it began to cool down. I liked the sound in high gain position and a tad less in the low gain, but raising the volume helped a bit. Anyone else try it in High Gain and see if it gets hot?

4.  I received no USB chord, I did receive, what looks like a charger, to plug into 110 on the wall plug, with a USB input on the other end. The chord does not detach from the side that has the 110 plug on it. as part of it, also received the free earphone, and the 262.

I did enjoy the sound better than with the AMP3 and Zune 120, both of which I have.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #768 of 1,195

Quote:

3. When I first got he HM-602 it got really hot but after I about a week of use it doesn't seem to get a hot as it use to.

So, that's at least  3  4 of us that noticed that.  Anyone have an explanation for this change over time?  Always looking to add to my literal burn-in observations.  Could it be that all the new components are operating less efficiently thus the excess heat generated initially?  Thus resistance drops over time and efficiency increase and less heat is made.  Or perhaps its something to do w/ the battery?  Just asking.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #769 of 1,195
Mine got warm the first day also but has been cool ever since.

It will charge from the DATA EXC very slowly but that's fine for me as i use it at work as a DAC, if it runs out of charge (like today) i throw some albums on the Flash and let it charge while i listen, then it's fine for the bus ride home/bedtime etc. I'd say 9-10hrs per charge so far, which is enough to keep me happy.

I enjoy the sound from the onboard flash most, the bus ride to and from work just don't last long enough now, but i do find the DAC far better then the Ibasso D2 that i had loaned off a friend. The overall value for the sound that just wraps me up in warmth is alone worth it but i love the versatility of this thing as well. replaced dac/amp at work, replace ipod for commute and has given me a good source for a home rig if i ever assemble one. I'd say a great entry into the Head-Fi scene for sure.

Edit: the only thing that bugs me is the power button i never seem to hold it for just the right amount of time to turn it on/off.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #770 of 1,195
It is the mysterious burn-in process. On a serious note is there anyway to charge the hm-602 without it turning on?

Quote:
So, that's at least 3 of us that noticed that.  Anyone have an explanation for this change over time?  Always looking to add to my literal burn-in observations.  Could it be that all the new components are operating less efficiently thus the excess heat generated initially?  Thus resistance drops over time and efficiency increase and less heat is made.  Or perhaps its something to do w/ the battery?  Just asking.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #771 of 1,195

Quote:
It is the mysterious burn-in process. On a serious note is there anyway to charge the hm-602 without it turning on?

I haven't found one.  That is very annoying!  Slows the charge as well.  One of a few major issues to be addressed should a FW update be in the works.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #772 of 1,195

Quote:

1.   I found the USB chord
smily_headphones1.gif

2.   I mentioned the chord on the charger because I assumed it was in place of the chord I now found
smily_headphones1.gif

3.   Pressing deep deep with the nail worked a bit hard to get out but it did the trick
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks a mil.

4.   The overheating was in a pouch with the screen lights on so that two added to the heat but it got quite hot.

I listened more today with the JH13 and the HD 800. My conclusion is that the $1700 Symphony 2 from Meier Audio is much much better with the HD 800 than with the  HiFiMan 602 and the JH13 just shines with the HiFiMan602 far better than it does on the Meier Symphony 2. interesting thing that each when matched right has its place. I love both of them now the portable pair and the home base pair and love them both very deeply what details what open spaces the HiFiMan 602 is awesome how it opens the space to a huge soundstage thet the other players did not, and the HD-800 although can get loud with the HiFiMan 602 Just has too little wattage to excite it properly. So if you get one of the head sets match them by  asking what head amp for the HD- 800 *Symphony 2 shines with the HD 800) and you will forget about the head set and JOY in the music,  if on the other hand you get the HiFiMan 602 and have the money to get the JH13 aw aw aw aw!!! do so.

I think that the complainers either got a isolated bad player or just mismatched the head sets and played low efficiency head set with  too much volume and distorted the headset, which may more wattage power. And the opposit is true of the JH13 too much wattage power just does not do it, for the JH13, it 9 Symphony 2) still has a smaller sound stage than the HiFiMan 602 with the JH 13 with the HiFiMan.

OK engineers explain it why LOL.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #773 of 1,195

Quote:
Why would the cord detach?  Its not detachable.  Every wall plug you have detaches??  The USB chord is hidden under the packaging, lift up to reveal it around the grooves.

My Sony-Ericsson X10 mini pro came with an adaptor that has a detachable micro usb cable that can also be used for syncing data. So its a valid question. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #774 of 1,195

Am very happy, initial impression. In comparison to iPhone 4, with 320k mpegs, much more dynamic range and timbre. Perhaps less analytic but much more engaging. iPhone is accurate but lacking verve, energe and most important speed and range of changes in amplitute.

regarding the  USB cable... it's hidden in the box under one of the removable foam cut-outs...

Has anyone tried the 602 with large closed cans? Any recommendations here? Whats the best choice to maximize SQ without negative impact due to complex loads or power requirments?

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #775 of 1,195

Quote:
Am very happy, initial impression. In comparison to iPhone 4, with 320k mpegs, much more dynamic range and timbre. Perhaps less analytic but much more engaging. iPhone is accurate but lacking verve, energe and most important speed and range of changes in amplitute.

regarding the  USB cable... it's hidden in the box under one of the removable foam cut-outs...

Has anyone tried the 602 with large closed cans? Any recommendations here? Whats the best choice to maximize SQ without negative impact due to complex loads or power requirments?

I've tried with denons LA2000 - not so good, not enough current I guess, they do need alot.
The ALO-780's were very good. Lot's of bass for those bass heads out there maybe a bit dark but lots of fun.

Has anyone tried the 602 with panasonic HJE900?? Mine cuts out almost completely unless I push the plug a little either way or down further into the player. It seems like the pannies plug is just a tiny bit too short?? Really frustrating!
Anyone else???

Otherwise the 602 is burning in nicely and I also noticed the heat issue reduced over time (fist 2 days).

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #776 of 1,195

Quote:
My Sony-Ericsson X10 mini pro came with an adaptor that has a detachable micro usb cable that can also be used for syncing data. So its a valid question. 

Yeah so does my cell phone.  It just seemed like they had never seen one that didn't.  I've never bought an electronic device w/ an expectation as to the design of the power adapter.  Except for my laptops perhaps.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #777 of 1,195

Quote:

The 602 sounded fine w/ the M50, HFi580, D7000.  With the Arrow, that's another level.  

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #778 of 1,195
Wow, I never knew the M50 had this much bass. I tried to tone it down a bit using the mod but without success, and I had to use the dreaded EQ. With the EQ it is much better, but I don't think I'm gonna keep the M50 for a long time. I think I will have a go for the Fischer woodies.

Now I'm starting to think my taste really is quite different from others, seeing the comments above and considering my view on the RE262.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #779 of 1,195

Quote:
Wow, I never knew the M50 had this much bass. I tried to tone it down a bit using the mod but without success, and I had to use the dreaded EQ. With the EQ it is much better, but I don't think I'm gonna keep the M50 for a long time. I think I will have a go for the Fischer woodies.

Now I'm starting to think my taste really is quite different from others, seeing the comments above and considering my view on the RE262.

How long have you had the m50?  How many holes did you plug?

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #780 of 1,195
This is my second time with the M50. I sold the first pair to finance the 602 and I found that the 602 is almost no use only with two IEMs, so I figured I could have a go with it agan. So in total about 4~5 months until two months ago and then today. I covered all holes with some 3M cellophane tape. Maybe what I needed to use was a rather thick material.

btw this is a used pair(7+ months) so I did no burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back