HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #11,356 of 11,913
I have been comparing the stealth to the organic. I have both of them at home right now and will return one of them. I find the stealth very pleasant and inoffensive, and I mean that in a good way. The organic is spectacularly detailed with great imaging and an immense sound stage, which I love, but I am finding it slightly uncomfortably bright and sibilant. I have never tried to EQ a headphone before, but I’m wondering how you would EQ the organic to tame some of that harsh edge. Also, since I am running a DX 320 digital audio player, is there an equalizer program for android that would catch output from streaming service is like Spotify and Tidal?
Thank you!
I don't use EQ but I believe PowerAmp EQ works system wide on Android.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #11,359 of 11,913
Just got the Arya Stealth in today. Just a few hours listening time on them, but my first impressions are that they are a fairly small improvement on the Edition XS. They sound really, really similar to me. Slightly different frequency response, but like 90% the same lol. The Arya just sound a little bit cleaner with a touch more detail.

I think the Ananda SE is more different from the Arya and Edition XS than the Ed XS and Arya are from each other. The Ananda SE presentation felt different, the way it finished sounds was distinct and the soundstage presentation was different. The Ed XS and Arya have similar soundstage presentation and tone to me.

I'm sure this can change with more listening and the Arya loosening up a bit, but that's my initial impression. Will definitely give it more time.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #11,360 of 11,913
I know we all perceive sound differently but I’m quite surprised to hear those impressions after an A/B comparison. There could possibly be some unit variation going on or maybe just differences between our source/signal chains.

I currently own the Arya SE and previously owned the HE1000se for a few years. I didn’t own them both at the same time but there is absolutely a difference between the two in my opinion.

To me, resolution, separation, and positioning are all cranked up to 11 on the HE1000se. Impact is really good as well. The Arya SE sounds like a “baby” HEKse to my ear which might be what HiFiMan was going for. The Arya SE is very detailed in its own right but not nearly as resolving as the HE1000se IMO. This may be preferred by some because the detail retrieval on the HE1000se can actually be too much at times haha.

I’m actually going to upgrade from the Arya SE to the HEKse in the near future. I miss all that detail!
Yeah. Arya Stealth and Hekse wildly different headphones to my ears. It's interesting he doesn't discern any differences. I tested them at home for a week or two. Hekse's detail, separation, staging, imaging whole another level. Arya Stealth more of a fun energetic forward headphone. It sounds crowded and claustrophobic in comparison.
I have 2 closed backs at home. Creative Aurvana Live! and Beyer DT 770 250 ohm. I felt these Hifiman headphones are like high end counterparts of these closed backs in terms of character. Arya Stealth is more like Creative Aurvana Live. Hekse is more like DT 770. One is kinda crowded and fun, the other is spacious and separated. Arya Stealth has very focused and concentrated center image. Hekse has like separate stereo channels.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #11,361 of 11,913
Here are my measurements comparing the Arya Stealth's stock pads to the four Dekoni pads available. Descriptions of the differences, particularly those for the distortion, CSD (cleanness of transients), and impulse and step response (transient sharpness) measurements which I won't be posting here should otherwise be similar to those for the HE1000se in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he1000-se.886228/post-17865003 (post #4,788).

Ignore REW's displayed frequency band terminology; I subscribe to the one below:

1702547207535.png

The magnitude response is the upper trace while the phase response is the lower trace. The measurements were taken without changing the DAC/amp's volume setting, whereby I have within the Room EQ Wizard (REW) application vertically offset the charts to be volume-matched at around 300 Hz; differences were less than 0.5 dB. Unlike with the HE1000se measurements, I am excluding the ultrasonic measurements which I am considering not of interest for this comparison.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth NS L 4M - volume matched.jpg

Figure 1: HiFiMan Arya Stealth fresh stock pads (taken from my HE1000se) frequency response.

In order of decreasing (infrasonic) sub-bass extension, else in order of decreasing seal and hence greater bass around 20 Hz to 150 Hz.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth DES L 4M - volume matched.jpg

Figure 2: HiFiMan Arya Stealth Dekoni Elite Sheepskin frequency response. These pads nigh completely fill the "HiFiMan dip", having more forward of an upper midrange. These pads along with the Hybrid Elite Velour happen to provide the most attenuation of the 4.3 kHz peak, but only slightly. These Elite Sheepskin pads in addition to having the best infrasonic extension provides a marked improvement in the bass distortion performance.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth DEH L 4M - volume matched.jpg

Figure 3: HiFiMan Arya Stealth Dekoni Elite Hybrid frequency response. These pad slightly fill the HiFiMan dip.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth DEV L 4M - volume matched.jpg

Figure 4: HiFiMan Arya Stealth Dekoni Elite Velour frequency response. These pads shift the "HiFiMan dip" a bit to the right.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth DEFS L 4M - volume matched.jpg

Figure 5: HiFiMan Arya Stealth Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin frequency response. These pads fill the HiFiMan dip a bit more than the Elite Hybrid pads, their being an intermediate between those and the Elite Sheepskin pads.

2023-12-14 - HE1000se NS L 4M - volume matched.jpg

Figure 6: HiFiMan HE1000se fresh stock pads frequency response. Note that my Arya Stealth's left driver and stock pad happen to have greater than normal sub-bass and infrasonic extension insofar as I have found much less of a difference for the right channel measurements which I am not showing due to my right in-ear microphone having greater bass and treble roll-off not present in the left in-ear microphone, so this curve should only be used for comparison above 150 Hz.

2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth pads comparison.jpg

Figure 7: Comparison overlay.

Attachments

• 2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth NS L 4M - volume matched.jpg
    2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth NS L 4M - volume matched.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth pads comparison.jpg
    2023-12-14 - Arya Stealth pads comparison.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #11,362 of 11,913
Can someone link to a carry pouch and/or carry case ? Considering the organics cups are laying flat , I need the slimmest solution possible , thanks !
I'm currently using the Dekoni case. I'm quite happy with it but it doesn't allow you lay the headphones flat. I honestly recommend avoiding storing any of the Arya headphones flat unless you're using a hard case. The issue is the headband becomes the thickest part of the headphones in that orientation. This means any pressure applied to the outside of the case will most likely affect the headband first. This could potentially create permanent creases or other damage to the headband being that it's not the most durable material. My Arya SE headband got some pretty unsightly creases that way but YMMV.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #11,363 of 11,913
I have a question, recently I got another offer for a headphone, this time an Arya V1 in excellent condition at $500, but because there're so many version of this headphone and also QC problems, do you think the V1 is still worth it or should I look more in the other versions like V2, Stealth or Organic? I know the V1 and V2 have more soundstage that is something that I'm looking for in a headphone.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #11,364 of 11,913
I have a question, recently I got another offer for a headphone, this time an Arya V1 in excellent condition at $500, but because there're so many version of this headphone and also QC problems, do you think the V1 is still worth it or should I look more in the other versions like V2, Stealth or Organic? I know the V1 and V2 have more soundstage that is something that I'm looking for in a headphone.

Honestly, you will get a lot of contradictory info. When I got my Arya V2 in 2020 I remember people saying whatever Hifiman did to it "ruined" the sound. I liked my Arya V2 a lot but wondered what I was missing. Now with 4 versions out others say the Arya V2 is the best. Personally, I am enjoying my Arya Organic more then I did my Arya V2, keep in mind I use Equalizer APO on my laptop.

You kinda have to make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #11,365 of 11,913
Honestly, you will get a lot of contradictory info. When I got my Arya V2 in 2020 I remember people saying whatever Hifiman did to it "ruined" the sound. I liked my Arya V2 a lot but wondered what I was missing. Now with 4 versions out others say the Arya V2 is the best. Personally, I am enjoying my Arya Organic more then I did my Arya V2, keep in mind I use Equalizer APO on my laptop.

You kinda have to make up your own mind.
I understand your point, there's always a lot of contradiction in the type of sound a headphone delivered, the best things will be to try all of them and decide which one you like the most but it's pretty difficult.
I mean $500 for an Arya it's pretty good, my only concern is about the QC about this type of headphone (I read about many Arya fail in 1/2 years) and the type of sound of V1 respect the other.
If I can ask, why did you choose the Organic over the V2? Does the sound improve or is just different?

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #11,366 of 11,913
My Stealth's showed up today, and they sound as good as I remember hearing them a year ago, and after tweaking the Oratory PEQ profile for my RME they sound better than I hoped for, the bass is awesome and the sound is large and rich in details.
My collection feels complete now, so now I'm DONE, DONE as well 😄

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #11,367 of 11,913
I understand your point, there's always a lot of contradiction in the type of sound a headphone delivered, the best things will be to try all of them and decide which one you like the most but it's pretty difficult.
I mean $500 for an Arya it's pretty good, my only concern is about the QC about this type of headphone (I read about many Arya fail in 1/2 years) and the type of sound of V1 respect the other.
If I can ask, why did you choose the Organic over the V2? Does the sound improve or is just different?

My Arya V2 driver failed after 3 years, Hifiman offered me a massive discount on the Organic

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #11,368 of 11,913
You can buy bstock straight from hifiman for 750 for the stealth and 700 for the gen before that. And in my country they also have to grant warranty on that, so that might be an option
My Stealth's showed up today, and they sound as good as I remember hearing them a year ago, and after tweaking the Oratory PEQ profile for my RME they sound better than I hoped for, the bass is awesome and the sound is large and rich in details.
My collection feels complete now, so now I'm DONE, DONE as well
😄
It really is an awesome headphone. Just had it next to my buddies he1000v2 and personally i see no need to go higher than the arya. The deminishing returns kick in hard!

As for my collection, i need some nice close backs and some office closed backs to keep my t1 and arya company

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #11,369 of 11,913
My collection feels complete now, so now I'm DONE, DONE as well 😄
Glad you love them! They're really great.

I do not believe in burn-in....except with Hifiman planars. I swear they change even within a few days of taking them out of the box. Feels like the soundstage has already widened a bit and treble has smoothed out. They sound outstanding, very happy right now.

I've accumulated way too many headphones, but I finally do feel like I'm DONE DONE haha. Need to make some decisions early next year on which to keep in my stable, as right now I'm 10 deep.

The HD800s and Arya SE definitely feel like "endgame" headphones. Now to just decide on a few others to keep around as casual/daily headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #11,370 of 11,913
Glad you love them! They're really great.

I do not believe in burn-in....except with Hifiman planars. I swear they change even within a few days of taking them out of the box. Feels like the soundstage has already widened a bit and treble has smoothed out. They sound outstanding, very happy right now.

I've accumulated way too many headphones, but I finally do feel like I'm DONE DONE haha. Need to make some decisions early next year on which to keep in my stable, as right now I'm 10 deep.

The HD800s and Arya SE definitely feel like "endgame" headphones. Now to just decide on a few others to keep around as casual/daily headphones.
If you're looking for "endgame" distortion performance through the entire frequency range, feast your eyes on my EQed Meze Elite measurements in the HE1000se thread. You can EQ to your heart's desire and have a presentation similarly large to HiFiMan eggs and be confident that any distortion will be below your room's noise floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back