Hifiman Edition X
Oct 29, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,866 of 4,030
1) Realized impact was the wrong word to use; quantity is more appropriate. My impression of the JH16 was also that the bass was very impressive...too impressive. As in, it stood out too much relative to the rest of the frequency. Not to say that it bled into the mids as some headphones can, the bass felt clean and tight-ish from what I remember. But it over-represented the presence of bass guitars and such...to the point that it was the main attraction over lead guitars and vocals at times, which shouldn't happen.

But then again, when I demoed it, I was accustomed to the HD800s still, which is decidedly bass-light in terms of quantity in my opinion. Maybe it was just the contrast between HD800 and JH16 that led me to feel that way. Doesn't help that my preferred genres are jazz and classical.

For reference, the HEX also has very impressive bass. But despite the fact that it's slightly elevated, it feels more integrated into the overall sound signature to my ears.

2) You just made me realize something when you referred to the HD800s as the "king of soundstage". Just like how I thought the JH16 was 'too impressive' in the bass department, lately I've been feeling that the HD800 is "too impressive" in terms of soundstage and imaging. As in, upon putting them on, the first thing you're greeted to is the enormous soundstage and the diffuse nature of the imaging. I end up honing in on that aspect, which in turn makes me feel like I'm listening to the gear and not the music.

I've mentioned this earlier, but the HEX sounded much more coherent and integrated to my ears. No technical aspects (such as imaging or soundstage), nor frequency related aspects (no instruments/vocals sound over or under represented) pop out to me. Just a smooth whole balanced experience, so it makes me feel like I'm listening to the music, not the gear.

3) Worst case scenario, just listen to the headphones off of your phone or dap if you have one. It's crazy how good these sound straight from my phone. Like, best audio experience I've ever had without a proper setup (amp/dac, etc). You can do more research on a better pairing and still enjoy your HEX in the meantime.

Oct 29, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,867 of 4,030
I've owned the K712 and from memory I really liked them but found the bottom end a little too much. I thought the treble was a massive improvement over the K702/1 though. In regards to soundstage - I would describe them as being very different, the AKG's project the image in front of you in widescreen, its large but also not the deepest - quite flat. It also has a closed off feeling (rather than airy like all the top Senn's do well) even though it is large. The HEX by contrast has a large, but intimate soundstage - it is also quite airy for a planar and more so than the AKG's. Instruments are closer and much bigger. To me it is a sensible soundstage - a neutral one (if there is such a thing...); kind of like the HD600, but bigger with more space around the instruments, less air at the top and more bass at the bottom.

The traits you've mentioned above all fit the bill for the HEX imo. Obviously if you can, try before you buy because at this level diminishing returns are well set in. The lowly HE400i is a hell of a lot cheaper and I would personally rate it a little higher than the K712 if you are set on a non-fatiguing versatile planar.

But if you've got the cash - I can't rate the HEX highly enough. Especially if you want a 'one for all' music types :)

Regarding amping, my experience is that they don't sound much different with different amps, at least compared to other headphones. This is as long as you are feeding them sensibly. They're planar, so they enjoy current and they are sensitive, so low gain is needed. Most amps that threaten a 1w of power or over such as the Magni's should still be fine as at low volume you won't be getting anywhere near that. For me these seem about as sensitive as your average Grado... If that helps.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,868 of 4,030
I knew I came to the right place if I wanted to be persuaded not to get the HEX v2.

/sarcasm

I've been reading external reviews and posts in this thread for a few days now. So with your highly positive posts which basically were confirming what I had already assumed, I'll probably be purchasing them soon. I was thinking to hold off to see if Hifiman will have a black friday deal on them...

I'm starting to think that the soundstage that the HD800's have is something that just needs to be heard. And from the best descriptive takes on such a grandiose experience, I probably wouldn't mind (maybe even prefer) a more intimate (more natural?) type of soundstage that the HEX v2's apparently possess.

Here's something that I am honestly still deeply frightened by in regards to my potential purchase of the HEX v2's and that is Hifiman's build quality. It's easy to see that it's no Sennheiser or even Sony type of craftsmanship, especially their $1k+ models, but I TRULY hope it's not as bad as Fang's earlier products and that they will last me a long, long time...bordering on forever with adequate maintenance.

@LugBug1

I'm flabbergasted that you found the K712's to have a low end response that was too much for your liking. Hopefully that's just a preferential take on them because I find them to actually be kind of lacking in that department, especially in regards to overall impact. That being said, at their price point I can't imagine there being a better bang for your buck set of cans. Although... I have still never heard any of the HE400 variants.

I do wonder how the HEX v2's fares against some of the heavyweights in the low end response department at this price point or higher. I remember reading that the LCD-2's have far more impact in their low-end compared to the HEX v2's. Would the same be said about the the non-planar magnetc Sony Z1R's?

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)][/COLOR]

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #2,869 of 4,030
Some criticism that I’ve read to level your expectations:

1) Some people experience fatigue due to the rebound from 6-9k. Also, there are complaints of ‘splashy’ timbre from cymbals due to the spike. I find the latter statement to be true. Didn’t demo the headphones long enough in one session to experience fatigue. But overall I thought the treble was laid back and smooth still.

2) Measurements of these headphones in another place show an uneven jagged response especially in the midrange. Which is odd, because it’s one of the smoothest mid ranges that I’ve heard. But apparently the person who measured the headphones said that it can be heard if you know what to look for???

I read up more from this, and Tyll from Innerfidelity said something along the lines of ‘edition x is an example of why you shouldn’t always trust measurements...sounds great but the graph looks bad.” I’ll try to find the post when I have more time.

EDIT: Found the link: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-november-2016

3) Cable build quality. The outer material is very rubbery and as such, holds its grip well. So, it can often get caught on things, and I’ve seen reports of the cable falling apart eventually.

As for overall build quality, I haven’t read a single complaint yet for the v2s. But then again, it hasn’t been very long since the v2s came out.

4) Potential driver failure? I wouldn’t worry about this. Despite people ragging on Hifimans customer service, I’ve never had any issues with them. They’ll do right by you.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #2,870 of 4,030
I changed the cable by these ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cable-...-350-HE1000-HE1000-V2-headphones/201847284101 They are cheap but it's good quality. Using the same for my Beyers (which cable was worse imo).

I've tried to A/B the soundstage of the K712 and HEX, but I somehow forgot to write it down. I went for it about 2 hours ago. Started with the K712, swapped to the HEX and forgot what I was doing ....
I'll try to do it again tomorrow.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,871 of 4,030
I bring my headphones to work with me each day and was tired of taking the original hifiman box so I ending up getting a pelican 1200 case for it today, fits good in case anyone was looking for a rugged case 20171030_124933.jpg

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2,872 of 4,030
Thanks for the heads up criticism, Hedonism.

I mean, as much as I would like to assume I'll be buying a near perfect set of full-sized cans when dropping $1.3k, I wouldn't be surprised that they'd have some relatively minor imperfect characteristics. I just hope they're not blatant and detract from the overall enjoyment factor. This is why I have a fear of Hifiman's build quality...

As far as the cable goes, isn't supposed to be a big step up from v1's? I could've sworn I read that somewhere. But I can totally see myself getting agitated with the rubbery "lively" nature of the provided cable.

@arielext

That cable looks solid. Are there any sonic differences with this cable compared to the original one?

Also, way to leave me wondering if what you're implying with your A/B session is that the K712 and HEX's soundstage is quite similar or if you just sincerely forgot what you were doing. Looking forward to your follow up!

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2,873 of 4,030
@arielext

That cable looks solid. Are there any sonic differences with this cable compared to the original one?

Also, way to leave me wondering if what you're implying with your A/B session is that the K712 and HEX's soundstage is quite similar or if you just sincerely forgot what you were doing. Looking forward to your follow up!

As far as I can hear: no difference in sound; only in enjoyability. I still use the short original cabel when I plug them into my Darkvoice; but the HEX sound better out of a solidstate imo.
And I sincerly forgot that I was supposed to pay attention to the soundstage instead of just enjoying the music. I'm setting things up again for tonight to do a proper listen test for the soundstage.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,875 of 4,030
So to compare the K712 and HEXv2 for soundstage I used some youtube files (for easy sharing). I'm using binarual clips since they are perfect for soundstage testing IMO.

Both headphones are spot on on where the instruments are in the room. The HEX wins it though, the K712 has a bigger spot of sound for the instrument, while the HEX produces exactly what I'd expect from a violin or a chello. K712 has a tiny bit of ringing (soundstage wise).

Same on this clip, width is neutral on both but the HEX win it in accuracy. K712 sounds a bit artificial; overly wide.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #2,876 of 4,030
Thanks for doing this comparison, arielext.

Interesting that you're saying the K712's soundstage is "a bit artificial" and "overly wide" because there are similar impressions/reviews regarding the almighty HD800/HD800S's. Kind of like what Hedonism was referring to it as "too impressive".

I never tried out full-sized headphones at either the HD800/HD800S or the HEX v2 level.

My best reference for an incredible soundstage is the K712's.

My best reference for an incredible low end response is the JH16's.

So it really boils down to the fact that I don't know what I'm missing.

Really hoping that Hifiman has a black Friday sale sooner than the actual date, if at all. Otherwise the wait is killing me.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #2,878 of 4,030
Thanks for doing this comparison, arielext.

Interesting that you're saying the K712's soundstage is "a bit artificial" and "overly wide" because there are similar impressions/reviews regarding the almighty HD800/HD800S's. Kind of like what Hedonism was referring to it as "too impressive".

Funny thing is, both have about the same width, the HEX just isn't forcing it (could well be due to the angled pads, I know I have a pair of K501s somewhere with the K702 pads (those are angled) and from memory I was very impressed with the imaging and soundstage of the K501 'modded').

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #2,879 of 4,030
Or you could get a great deal on a used pair of v1 for just over 600 or v2 between 800-900. Just keep checking the for sale forum.

I'm more interested in the v2's. And I'm sure I can get a bargain deal on them in the for sale section, but rather just get them new. That way, if there are any issues I can deal with hifiman in a more straight forward way.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #2,880 of 4,030
Funny thing is, both have about the same width, the HEX just isn't forcing it (could well be due to the angled pads, I know I have a pair of K501s somewhere with the K702 pads (those are angled) and from memory I was very impressed with the imaging and soundstage of the K501 'modded').

That's quite some width if you ask me. I don't need more than that (I think).

Just to set my expectations, in terms of overall sound quality and immersiveness is going from K712 to HEX v2 like going from standard large movie theatre screen to 3D IMAX or not as drastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back