Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 30, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #1,171 of 2,788
OK, Dad. Thanks.
Dude, what he said is 100% spot on.
Dont take your frustrations of lacking gear (when paired with the XS) out on him, he's just telling the truth.

Hopefully newcomers looking to purchase the XS will take his comments on board and buy correct gear to begin with not your existing setup as it was purchased for a previous purpose/different cans.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #1,172 of 2,788
Dude, what he said is 100% spot on.
Dont take your frustrations of lacking gear (when paired with the XS) out on him, he's just telling the truth.
Hopefully a new XS buyer will take his comments on board and buy correct gear to begin with.
I'm sure more power does deliver more. But the Atom+ stack is delivering plenty for me, as the XS sound better than my 6XX and HE-400se that I own, and other cans that I've owned and sold. Only the Focal Elegia is comparable in my experience and collection.

My point is will something more powerful than an Atom+ stack elicit more dynamics? Yes. But will something like an Atom+ stack "cripple" the XS? Maybe for guys who have a fleet of four-figured price tag amps and cans.

But for someone like me (and the OP, I presume), the XS with an Atom+ stack is a lovely upgrade.

Too often people in this hobby apply their use case and their level of financial and time commitment to EVERYONE else. "You don't own this many headphones and use that source gear with that headphone? You're not using this cable with balanced output? You're not a real audiophile." Yeah, whatever: That's silly. Measurements are objective; our interpretation of them and what sounds right to US is subjective.

Yes, you can spend the dough to get a Jot or something with considerably more power than an Atom+ stack. It will sound better. How much better? Up to the ears of the beholder. Also up to the ears of the beholder to make that price-value judgement.

And if you stick with an Atom+ stack or something comparable for a while, does it make you weak sauce and your choice of the XS stupid? I think not.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,173 of 2,788
I'm sure more power does deliver more. But the Atom+ stack is delivering plenty for me, as the XS sound better than my 6XX and HE-400se that I own, and other cans that I've owned and sold. Only the Focal Elegia is comparable in my experience and collection.

My point is will something more powerful than an Atom+ stack elicit more dynamics? Yes. But will something like an Atom+ stack "cripple" the XS? Maybe for guys who have a fleet of four-figured price tag amps and cans.

But for someone like me (and the OP, I presume), the XS with an Atom+ stack is a lovely upgrade.

Too often people in this hobby apply their use case and their level of financial and time commitment to EVERYONE else. That's silly.

Yes, you can spend the dough to get a Jot or something with considerably more power than an Atom+ stack. It will sound better. How much better? Up to the ears of the beholder. Also up to the ears of the beholder to make that price-value judgement.

And if you stick with an Atom+ stack or something comparable for a while, does it make you weak sauce and your choice of the XS stupid? I think not.
That's awesome, that you're enjoying your setup. If you're getting what you want out of them I'm truly happy for you, honestly.

My comment is more so to newcomers who are trying to figure out what's required to get the best out of these incredible cans.

It just seems like you're trying to justify your setup & it comes off as the atom being suitable to pair with them.
In reality, as stated by so many users, they're better paired with higher powered amps.
Like I said, if I was a newbie coming for advice it'd be difficult to read through all the back & forth to make an informed decision on how to get the best out of these.
$500 is a lot of money and I'd want to make sure I'm getting the most out of them if I was starting from scratch and not buying the wrong gear and inevitably being dissapointed.

To any newcomers I'd suggest try your existing gear if you have it and look to upgrade later if you so wish, otherwise look at some of the amps which have been reccommended and will drive the XS to it's full potential.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #1,174 of 2,788
That's awesome, that you're enjoying your setup. If you're getting what you want out of them I'm truly happy for you, honestly.

My comment is more so to newcomers who are trying to figure out what's required to get the best out of these incredible cans.

It just seems like you're trying to justify your setup & it comes off as the atom being suitable to pair with them.
I'm not justifying anything. I'm saying the XS and Atom+ stack is working very well for me, someone who clearly hasn't reached the Everest of audiophilia but someone who does know how to read graphs, knows some audio characteristics that I like and doesn't think Beats or Sony XM3 or XM4s are audio nirvana.

I'm sure there are other rigs in which the XS will work even better. But my point is that if the Atom+ stack is "crippling" the XS, then it must be one effing amazing can when it's liberated.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,175 of 2,788
I'm not justifying anything. I'm saying the XS and Atom+ stack is working very well for me. I'm sure there are other rigs in which the XS will work even better.

But my point is that if the Atom+ stack is "crippling" the XS, then it must be one effing amazing can when it's liberated.
Guys, this will never get resolved in the current state of things. My side of the debate says 'the math doesn't justify the expense', the other side says 'you haven't tried it'.

If you're enjoying the headphones, what's the problem? No one can try every combination of gear, and even fewer have done very rigorous side by side comparisons. Maybe some day I'll do a more rigorous side by side, level matched test setup (with photos and all). Until then, this is just a shouting match.

I know I'm getting my money's worth out of this purchase... with the JDS Atom stack - yep.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #1,176 of 2,788
You seem pretty upset man. If you enjoy your set up that's fine, you enjoy

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,177 of 2,788
I agree that planars have better bass performance - lower distortion and better extension. But you aren't understanding me. The stock FR can't do bass boost / shelving with open back, which does in fact increase punch and slam (also depends on the driver obviously). Stop snorting and start getting educated... lol
Let's see planars are better yet they are at mercy of shelved open back dynamics.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #1,178 of 2,788
Guys, this will never get resolved in the current state of things. My side of the debate says 'the math doesn't justify the expense', the other side says 'you haven't tried it'.

If you're enjoying the headphones, what's the problem? No one can try every combination of gear, and even fewer have done very rigorous side by side comparisons. Maybe some day I'll do a more rigorous side by side, level matched test setup (with photos and all). Until then, this is just a shouting match.

I know I'm getting my money's worth out of this purchase... with the JDS Atom stack - yep.
Now that is good logic. OK folks lets move on.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,180 of 2,788
Any Psy Trance lovers?
XS + Psy = 🤯
Not a lover but I do partake occasionally. Let me give it a shot 😁

Edit: Holy christ yes why haven't I tried this yet

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,181 of 2,788
In reality, as stated by so many users, they're better paired with higher powered amps.
Ummm....no...that is not necessarily reality.

There are factors for which a more powerful amp might be necessary. But seems like all the people saying "yes they need a more powerful amp" are not considering when that would be.

Heck, one of them saying the Atom is not powerful enough didn't even know how much power the Atom puts out.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,182 of 2,788
Not a lover but I do partake occasionally. Let me give it a shot 😁

Edit: Holy christ yes why haven't I tried this yet
Right!

Probably many better examples but try this:
Seven Monkey's - Unnatural Part 2

I just sit there bopping with a big smile upon my face whilst I work from home, all day.

Need to test out Cycloverid's EQ at some point, looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #1,184 of 2,788
As someone new to this hobby I just have no idea what to think now. I’ve now received both guidance that the Atom stack is just fine and other guidance that using it will gimp the performance of the XS.

If this is true, it sounds like my choice is either to spend more on a much more expensive amp or to return the XS and stick with something easier to drive

I wish I had an easier way to tell what it means that the performance I’m hearing is gimped. If I’m getting 90-95% of the sound quality with the Atom stack I’m probably fine with that sacrifice. But if I’m losing like 30-40% of the quality it makes me think the cost of the XS plus a $400 investment in a better DAC/AMP like the Jot 2 you mentioned is probably more than I’m willing to spend

If the Atom stack means I’m my utilizing the XS properly, I don’t understand why people would say it’s fine
Perhaps it would help to remember we are in an enthusiast forum so small things tend to be amplified

I like to fall back to legal principals in these cases

In legal terms things are measured relative to "the man in the street"

In these terms differences between amps , dacs , cables , power supplies are not noticeable

Even differences between what we would consider a sub standard headphone and a legend are barely noticeable to someone outside the bubble

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,185 of 2,788
Perhaps it would help to remember we are in an enthusiast forum so small things tend to be amplified

I like to fall back to legal principals in these cases

In legal terms things are measured relative to "the man in the street"

In these terms differences between amps , dacs , cables , power supplies are not noticeable

Even differences between what we would consider a sub standard headphone and a legend are barely noticeable to someone outside the bubble
Completely agree with this, except for my double bass shelf on the Edition XS of course :L3000:

Anyone would notice this haha... you guys are just splitting hairs over here.

@millzy 480p...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back