HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #21,829 of 21,868
First Watt Style amp tweaked to be a perfect match for the HE6 and the Susvara - Fully Dual Mono Separate PSU

DSCF7699.jpeg
DSCF7698.jpeg

Aural Caelo - My own creation - drives dynamics like the HD800 brilliantly, also drives the HE6 and Susvara

pic4.jpg

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #21,832 of 21,868
First Watt Style amp tweaked to be a perfect match for the HE6 and the Susvara - Fully Dual Mono Separate PSU

DSCF7699.jpegDSCF7698.jpeg

Aural Caelo - My own creation - drives dynamics like the HD800 brilliantly, also drives the HE6 and Susvara

pic4.jpg

Those are some seriously good looking amps. 👍👍

First Watt amps with the HE-6 have always intrigued me.

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #21,833 of 21,868
Bought an HE-6, it arrived today.
Initial impressions are very positive. The comfort suprised me, it's fantastic too.
Tomorrow i will compare it with my Susvara (and 1266 and LCD-4).
I use fenestrated sheepskin Susvara pads from Dekoni with it, they are very close to the normal Susvara pads in their sound signature

Question: Is it worth removing the very thinn cloth on the outer side, where the grill is? I already have a modded, thinner grid grill instead of the standard one. I don't want to risk damaging the driver by getting a hair or so stuck in there (on the other hand, never had that problem with my Sus). I have no other cloth in there besides the one that is attached to the pads (i took some more cloth out which i thought was harmful to the dynamics).

PXL_20240216_142144649.jpg

Edit:
Hmmm, female vocals and pianos sometimes sound harsh and aggressive...
(Electric) Guitars are fine. Male vocals too.
Initially i think that i miss the sweetness and lushness that the Sus is providing, the HE-6 seems to be more on the analytical colder side. Maybe that's a good thing and i'll keep it as a contrast, on the other hand, i have the 1266. Well, we'll see...
Dynamics are fantastic (still not 1266 huehue), but i know that its whole thing.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #21,834 of 21,868
Initial impressions are very positive. The comfort suprised me, it's fantastic too.
I use fenestrated sheepskin Susvara pads from Dekoni with it, they are very close to the normal Susvara pads in their sound signature

Question: Is it worth removing the very thinn cloth on the outer side, where the grill is? I already have a modded, thinner grid grill instead of the standard one. I don't want to risk damaging the driver by getting a hair or so stuck in there (on the other hand, never had that problem with my Sus). I have no other cloth in there besides the one that is attached to the pads (i took some more cloth out which i thought was harmful to the dynamics).

Edit:
Initially i think that i miss the sweetness and lushness that the Sus is providing, the HE-6 seems to be more on the analytical colder side. Maybe that's a good thing and i'll keep it as a contrast, on the other hand, i have the 1266. Well, we'll see...
Dynamics are fantastic (still not 1266 huehue), but i know that its whole thing.
I don't know if your picture is before or after you modded it, but that's not the original grill.

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #21,835 of 21,868
After, as i wrote, that's the other, much more open grill. It came with that grill preinstalled.
I have the original one here too, but i'll probably not gonna use it.

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #21,836 of 21,868

Edit:
Congratulations :)

What amp are you using?

Feb 16, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #21,837 of 21,868

Edit:
HE6 is more cold than Susvara yes.

HE6 is definitely more dynamic than 1266 TC, but might take more juice to get there (need big transfo power and headroom). It's not as bouncy in the midbass weight as 1266 TC if that's what you mean by dynamic.

Enjoy these special headphones, they can be fussy and grainy up top, but paired with the right amp, they can become smooth as butter with a lot of chestiness and power. Don't want to beat a dead horse on the topic, but this is generally achieved plugging it right onto speaker taps.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 16, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #21,838 of 21,868
I personnally totally removed the foam and the grid, thus exposing the drivers to elements... it's been more than a year and no issue so far. I know of another guy who did it and was fine with it for years.

My unit also has the quarter mod, so I can't speak for stock sound, and I am inclined to like agressive headphones, but I love them as they are (I do massively listen to extreme metal). The grill removal gets a subtle sub/bass bump, hardly noticeable and possibly due to my own mind, but I wouldn't get them back. All of this powered from... portable amps (yes) such as Alo rx mk3b+/RSA SR71b in the past, and now Cayin C9/Aroma A100TB + PS100.

I also had the opportunity to listen to them out of an Enleum Amp 23RM (the portable one) and it is my best experience (the monster subs :heart_eyes: and the clarity ) but... well the price, and also it is extremely focused on planars (and I do have a ZMF Vérité Closed to take care of too) and the battery life is close to abysmal (3-4h I would say) unfortunately.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #21,839 of 21,868
What amp are you using?
Envy, so power is not a problem.
I'll need a bit more time with it, but currently i don't think it does things strictly better than the headphones i have. Not saying it's bad, but the Susvara sounds more refined, and i already have a really great collection of headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back