HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 16, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #21,841 of 21,868
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #21,842 of 21,868
Envy, so power is not a problem.
I'll need a bit more time with it, but currently i don't think it does things strictly better than the headphones i have. Not saying it's bad, but the Susvara sounds more refined, and i already have a really great collection of headphones.
Power is one thing, a good match is another :) Just saying.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #21,844 of 21,868
Power is one thing, a good match is another :) Just saying.
Oh, sure, i only have that one TOTL amp, i will test it with the Rebelamp aswell, but i can't do much more than change a few tubes in the Envy.
Maybe a tube amp is not that ideal with it, sure, but currently i just think that i enjoy it for what it is for a few weeks and then move on. I also bought the Envy because i know it's fantastic with the Susvara and the 1266.

I'll leave a more detailed review of my findings in a few days.
And the price of those newer headphones 😄
T R U E !

Honestly, the HE-6 thing is probably mind blowing when you consider its age and original pricepoint. Time has moved on though and a lot of other stuff came out.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #21,845 of 21,868
Oh, sure, i only have that one TOTL amp, i will test it with the Rebelamp aswell, but i can't do much more than change a few tubes in the Envy.
Maybe a tube amp is not that ideal with it, sure, but currently i just think that i enjoy it for what it is for a few weeks and then move on. I also bought the Envy because i know it's fantastic with the Susvara and the 1266.

T R U E !

Honestly, the HE-6 thing is probably mind blowing when you consider its age and original pricepoint. Time has moved on though and a lot of other stuff came out.
Try the he6 with susvara pad or palipad, in my opinion it reaches higher level in those pads and level the FR very close to susvara. Eversince I tried the palipad a year ago I never looked back to any other pads.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #21,846 of 21,868

T R U E !

I still think a well amped HE-6 is among the best headphones ever. It's not that old either, really.

If you have heard what STAX made in the eighties and nineties with a good amp, you realize new definitely isn't better.

Feb 17, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #21,847 of 21,868
Sadly i never heard Stax at home, but everytime i hear them at a show i'm disappointed by the bass and dynamics. I know that's a general weakpoint but i've been told that a really good energizer can change that. If such a good energizer wasn't as expensive, i would probably try a higher end Stax / an Audeze CRBN / Shangri-La Senior etc. Not saying they are bad, but they are not for me on the lower end / normal energizers which i've heard, and i dont want to drop a huge amount of cash for something like a T2 when i know my Susvara (probably?) already is very close anyway.

As for the HE-6: I mostly gathered my thoughts, the TLDR is: it's extremely good in one single aspect even today, and that is dynamics. If you don't need that, there are other options for the same price that beat it. But if you want a planar that has slam like this, options are extremely scarce and i can understand the chase for one of them.
I'll keep it for another week, enjoy it for what it is, and then post a more lengthy review and put them up on the classified again. If someone is interested they can pm me (EU only, ~1700€).

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #21,848 of 21,868
Sadly i never heard Stax at home, but everytime i hear them at a show i'm disappointed by the bass and dynamics. I know that's a general weakpoint but i've been told that a really good energizer can change that. If such a good energizer wasn't as expensive, i would probably try a higher end Stax / an Audeze CRBN / Shangri-La Senior etc. Not saying they are bad, but they are not for me on the lower end / normal energizers which i've heard, and i dont want to drop a huge amount of cash for something like a T2 when i know my Susvara (probably?) already is very close anyway.

As for the HE-6: I mostly gathered my thoughts, the TLDR is: it's extremely good in one single aspect even today, and that is dynamics. If you don't need that, there are other options for the same price that beat it. But if you want a planar that has slam like this, options are extremely scarce and i can understand the chase for one of them.
I'll keep it for another week, enjoy it for what it is, and then post a more lengthy review and put them up on the classified again. If someone is interested they can pm me (EU only, ~1700€).

Estats need power to get the dynamics.

KGSSHV or the KGSSHV Carbon will suffice.

Both the Voce and CRBN are very dynamic and worthy TOTLs by any standard

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #21,849 of 21,868
Starting what will likely be another muggy Sunday near the Equator with the Hifiman HE-6 running off the SAEQ Hyperion Ge with QQMusic streaming off the Shanling ET-3 into the Holo Sprng 3 KTE. Blissful salve for the soul. :)

IMG_3203.jpeg

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #21,850 of 21,868

Actually, one of the normal Stax energizers that have had some modifications done to increase power will serve you well. And as @ardilla pointed out, the KGSSHV or Carbon will suffice. If you wish for more bass, then the 007, CRBN or Voce (with new earpads) will suit you. :)

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #21,851 of 21,868
I am forever grateful to @dill3000 for repairing and modding my HE6 - he has done a superb job and they sound even better

Let's wind the clock black to 2010:

Having been through a few Grado's some new Planar headphones were appearing and after a disastrous "date" with the LCD2 I bought the HE6 for $999

They were great from the start and the Primare amp only made them better

I grew to loathe the connectors and eventually the headband metal snapped - ordered a new "Original" one from Hifiman but the quality was atrocious and a couple of weeks later I got my foot caught in the cable rushing to answer the door and managed to damage the left driver wiring

I initially contacted @dill3000 about the amps he makes - that lead on to the HE6 and we agreed the following:

Repair driver wiring

Cup mod 1. The inner of the cups dampened with Sorbothane so it is no longer hollow

Cup mod 2. Drill out and update your headband screw hole and secure with epoxy.

Cup mod 3. Remove, drill out the current connector and install and good quality 3.5 connector. Secure with epoxy

Change existing Venus audio cable to suit above

Blu Tack mod

Fit Audeze headband (Handily a 1/2 price Audeze headband had turned up after a months long wait just before sending them off)

I had kept the original box and after a few days received them back

Here are some pics before he sent them back to me
1.jpg

3.JPG

5.JPG

There are a few chips in the paint which I intend to air brush but on examination my cups seem to have a purple hue - has anyone matched the colour ?

Purple hue.jpg

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #21,853 of 21,868
Sorbothane and blu Tack? Where is the blu tack?

Add: I might have this wrong, but I believe there is but one safety bar, and it faces front, so this mod flips it to the back? The bars audible effect is detectable. My workaround is felt on the ear facing side, but that doesn't cut down the turbulence on the inside facing side. But is the output of the front facing side the same as the rear facing side? Anyone ever remove the bar?

One more thing: has anyone flipped the polarity when re-wiring, since its backwards I believe.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #21,854 of 21,868
Whenever I get HE6's in, I always check for the polarity with listening tests. You can't just go by the wiring as there are lots of different versions/iterations. I have fixed quite a few polarities in the past.

This particular HE6 is a really early 4 screw one. The polarity was fine.

The blu tack mod is a small amount applied around drivers and the plastic cup. This helps with staging and bass response, blocking any small gaps in between.

The Sorbothane mod (I created this mod myself) I did lots of Sorbothane trials over the years. This is a little in conjunction with the blu tack mod but even more effective.

It’ll give you greater imaging, tighter faster bass, not as bright sounding and staging. It’ll give you a sense that vocals appear more in front of you as well as everything more focused.

Basically, after the Sorbothane mod applied to the cups if you were to tap it. It won't give off a tinny sound, it'll be dampened greatly. With the headphone fully put back together. The sound and impact coming off the drivers to the cups is greatly improved, so less harshness and sound residences equals to a clearer sound, more focused and natural.

With these early HE6s - they were a bit brighter than later 4 screws and 6 screws. I added sheep's wool felt mod to the inner quarter circle of the drivers, the same place the original felt/foam on HE6s. With the other mods above, no need for a full felt grill fuzzor mod.

PXL_20240228_115349077 (1).jpg

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #21,855 of 21,868
Whenever I get HE6's in, I always check for the polarity with listening tests. You can't just go by the wiring as there are lots of different versions/iterations. I have fixed quite a few polarities in the past.

This particular HE6 is a really early 4 screw one. The polarity was fine.

The blu tack mod is a small amount applied around drivers and the plastic cup. This helps with staging and bass response, blocking any small gaps in between.
Interesting on the polarity - I read it was always backwards on the HE-500 and HE-6 - oops.

I use dynamat instead of blu tack in the same area.
The Sorbothane mod (I created this mod myself) I did lots of Sorbothane trials over the years. This is a little in conjunction with the blu tack mod but even more effective.
Sorbothane is great - it doesn't stick well in my experience however. I used it in washer shapes with high Duro numbes on amp feet and such. Sorbothane is much more effective than blu tack. It's an art to get the right amount of resonance damping. Before about 2016 here and in SBAF more people seemed interested in it. Not sure why its out of favor. Even my HD-600's sound better with it. But tuning to avoid under/over doing it is key.
It’ll give you greater imaging, tighter faster bass, not as bright sounding and staging. It’ll give you a sense that vocals appear more in front of you as well as everything more focused.
Yes agree. Going from SE to XLR on my Rag 1 (focus/detail/low bass impact), The fuzzor mod cuts cancellations/reflections/turbulence./and long lasting reverb that does muddy bass and low mids. The no/minimal back screen paired with my favorite of the 17 pads I've tried (DCA Ether Angled) gives me a very wide stage on the HE-500, 6 screw, and 6 SE, along with cutting reverb of the stock screen which is most audible (to me) on wood blocks and finger snaps.
Basically, after the Sorbothane mod applied to the cups if you were to tap it. It won't give off a tinny sound, it'll be dampened greatly. With the headphone fully put back together. The sound and impact coming off the drivers to the cups is greatly improved, so less harshness and sound residences equals to a clearer sound, more focused and natural.

With these early HE6s - they were a bit brighter than later 4 screws and 6 screws. I added sheep's wool felt mod to the inner quarter circle of the drivers, the same place the original felt/foam on HE6s. With the other mods above, no need for a full felt grill fuzzor mod.
I've played with fabrics. Raw linen is the best material I've tried - its very uniform across frequencies from about 1.5k up to about 12k. I use the fuzzor on the HE-500 since those stators are quite wide. I use it on the HE-6 SE too but those are thinner and it doesn't do much. I've never heard any 4 screw, but I know the 6 screw well, though I don't have one. I've found best results with my mods and a fairly light hand on the PEQ. All of the fabric mods seemed too heavy handed, or ineffective, but I don't have the 4 screw. and your experience is certainly extensive. I must have read some of your posts a few years back since I did crib ideas I freely admit. Any comments/insights on the LFF mods?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back