Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 16, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7,831 of 14,707
  The most important thing is to replace the original cable with a better (matching) one. Otherwise you get a wrong impression of the HE1000's capabilities.

But I can still enjoy it through Hugo and Mojo, and it still sounds great to my ears – despite being spoiled by DAVE.

And, BTW: A well equalized HE1000 will sound better through Hugo and Mojo than an unequalized HE1000 through DAVE, although you'll probably miss the latter's penomenal resolution and depth.

JaZZ, This is from a while back but is your suggestion to replace the HEK original SE or balanced cable? 

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #7,832 of 14,707
Hi supabayes

Since I never used the balanced cable (my Chord DACs just have single-ended headphone outputs), I can't speak for it. But it looks like an identical build, hence it will have about the same sonic characteristic as the single-ended cable.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #7,834 of 14,707
Lost me here between balanced and single ended. For example, the much acclaimed MHA 100 only has a single ended cable capability to my understanding. So the lack of a balanced configuration would deter one from getting the MHA 100?

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #7,835 of 14,707
Absolutely not! Everything is in the implementation. Some belive in balanced, some in single ended, some believe in tubes, some in solid state. I have the MicroZOTL2 and the Liquid Carbon, the ZOTL is single ended, the LC has both balanced and single ended (but was designed to be used balanced). The balanced LC is indeed better than the single ended LC output, but the ZOTL is better than them both. I've heard the MHA 100 (with the HEK, in a store), it is a great sounding unit.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #7,836 of 14,707
Within the same amps, the balanced outputs are much better than SE outputs for HE1000. Soundstage, Layering and positioning improve with balance. But unfortunately, many TOTL amps, particularly tube amps, are SE. Many SE TOTL tube amps are great for the HE1000, for example Studio Six, WA5. I'm sure a balanced Studio Six or WA5 will be better, but they don't exist :)

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #7,837 of 14,707
Absolutely not! Everything is in the implementation. Some belive in balanced, some in single ended, some believe in tubes, some in solid state. I have the MicroZOTL2 and the Liquid Carbon, the ZOTL is single ended, the LC has both balanced and single ended (but was designed to be used balanced). The balanced LC is indeed better than the single ended LC output, but the ZOTL is better than them both. I've heard the MHA 100 (with the HEK, in a store), it is a great sounding unit.

What you assert is probably true, but I get much better results when I use my HE1000 in balanced mode (rather than SE mode) with my Vioelectric V281 headphone amplifier.

Jeff.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #7,838 of 14,707
What you assert is probably true, but I get much better results when I use my HE1000 in balanced mode (rather than SE mode) with my Vioelectric V281 headphone amplifier.

Jeff.
Like he said. It's all about implementation. Generally an amp has SE and Balanced, then yes the balanced output will probably sound better because of the way it was designed.

At the same time, I've heard a lot of different amps and to this point the best I've heard (and own) is the Studio Six which is SE only.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #7,839 of 14,707

Jeff.
Like he said. It's all about implementation. Generally an amp has SE and Balanced, then yes the balanced output will probably sound better because of the way it was designed.

At the same time, I've heard a lot of different amps and to this point the best I've heard (and own) is the Studio Six which is SE only.

I agree Studio Six is an awesome amp. One of few amps which can drive the HE1000 very well, and one which you can even play rock with HD800.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #7,840 of 14,707
Within the same amps, the balanced outputs are much better than SE outputs for HE1000. Soundstage, Layering and positioning improve with balance. But unfortunately, many TOTL amps, particularly tube amps, are SE. Many SE TOTL tube amps are great for the HE1000, for example Studio Six, WA5. I'm sure a balanced Studio Six or WA5 will be better, but they don't exist :)

Well, that is an opinion!

Personally, I think balanced, as a rule, sounds inferior to SE.

Balanced, typically has a darker tonality, deeper bass, and a larger sound stage. It may also seem more detailed. SE has more energy in the midrange and midbass, and is more dynamically propulsive and rhythmic. So it really depends on what aspects of the performance is more important to you. I personally rate dynamics and timing above bass and soundstage. Many people hear it the other way.

Here is an interesting article on the subject written 25 years ago by Martin Colloms in Stereophile:

http://www.hificritic.com/uploads/2/8/8/0/28808909/classic-sc6-balanced__benefit_or_bluff.pdf

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #7,841 of 14,707

Well, that is an opinion!

Personally, I think balanced, as a rule, sounds inferior to SE.

Here is an interesting article on the subject written 25 years ago by Martin Colloms in Stereophile:

http://www.hificritic.com/uploads/2/8/8/0/28808909/classic-sc6-balanced__benefit_or_bluff.pdf

There have been many arguments before and after that article was penned that sway between SE and Balanced.  Today's general rule of thumb is:  If you got the common connection throughout the chain (from source to output), use them.

Mixing SE and Balanced in the chain may not give you any benefits due to the differences in voltage levels & impedance, and the need to either split or combine the signal, thereby adding another piece of electronics in the audio chain.  For example, my NAD m-51 and Auditor use balanced, but the amp Headphone output is SE only.  Soon I will replace the amp with Cavalli Liquid Carbon & recable my Beyer T1's to balanced (and very likely get Mr Speakers).   

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #7,842 of 14,707
It’s best to use the DAC and amp as it is designed to be operated. Which means balanced for a balanced designed DAC/amp and SE for an unbalanced. Both designs has its pros and cons.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #7,843 of 14,707
  There have been many arguments before and after that article was penned that sway between SE and Balanced.  Today's general rule of thumb is:  If you got the common connection throughout the chain (from source to output), use them.

Well, let's face it, the argument will never go away, and we all have preferences for what we like. I don't agree that there is one rule of thumb. My "OWN" rule of thumb is avoid balanced gear. I also know that Colloms has not changed his opinion.

I am not trying to convince anyone of the superiority of SE, I just object when people blindly state the balanced is superior. Many well informed people don't agree.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #7,844 of 14,707
  It’s best to use the DAC and amp as it is designed to be operated. Which means balanced for a balanced designed DAC/amp and SE for an unbalanced. Both designs has its pros and cons.

I wonder how many of today's products are true balanced all the way though.

It used to be common for many products with balanced inputs and outputs to actually be single ended with SE to balanced converter chips.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #7,845 of 14,707

Well, let's face it, the argument will never go away, and we all have preferences for what we like. I don't agree that there is one rule of thumb. My "OWN" rule of thumb is avoid balanced gear. I also know that Colloms has not changed his opinion.

I am not trying to convince anyone of the superiority of SE, I just object when people blindly state the balanced is superior. Many well informed people don't agree.

I didn't say or imply that one is better than the other, what I'm saying is that it's best practice to keep it all either one way or the other.  There's a lot of high quality gear out there.  Some are SE, and others are balanced.  If you reread my response, you'll see that I'm not trying to sell anyone into one or the other.

In the late 80's I owned a Yamaha C-80 preamp and m-80 amp, Sony CD player (wired remote was optional), Nakamichi tape deck and Boston Acoustics speakers, and it was all SE connections.  I did not miss a thing, since they were all designed for that type of connection.

Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back