Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #7,891 of 14,748
"Doesnt sound closed in" is that a negative? I like very much that response I think that XC is some real deal and is closed so I can listen to it somehow outdoors even.

The pros and cons I listed were in comparison to the opposing headphone, which in this case is the HEK. I said doesn't sound closed in unless you are A/B testing with headphones that have a very spacious soundstage. I meant despite the fact they are a closed pair of headphones, they do pretty well with soundstage.
Both headphones are excellent in terms of sound quality, and if not doing an A/B comparison, the only thing I'd be unhappy about regarding the XC is the discomfort.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #7,892 of 14,748
Do the XCs heat up the ears too much, for example AKG k545 did it toooo much hell hot and sweaty after only 20mins, the m50x are excellent even then listening in the hot summer outdoors, do the XCs hurt your neck as weight or its survivable discomfort?

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #7,893 of 14,748
Do the XCs heat up the ears too much, for example AKG k545 did it toooo much hell hot and sweaty after only 20mins, the m50x are excellent even then listening in the hot summer outdoors, do the XCs hurt your neck as weight or its survivable discomfort?

I've never tried the XC, but I owned and sold the LCD-3, which is similar in terms of fit.  I'm not certain, but I think the XC is heavier than the LCD-3. 

If possible, you should really try the XC before buying to decide if the discomfort is survivable for you.  I felt like I was wearing a heavy clamp on my head.  There were definitely times when I cut short my listening sessions because my head was throbbing from the clamping pressure.

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #7,894 of 14,748

Have you worn a pair of Audeze LCD series headphones with the leather pads for an extended period of time before?  I ask this only because personally I haven't had an issue with abnormal amounts of heat or sweaty pads, but some do have the issue.  I think it varies by person based on the chemistry of how much moisture your body produces.  Either way, the fit of the LCD-XC was similar to that of the LCD-2, LCD-3, and LCD-X.  I haven't experienced neck pains due to headphones in general, but I do have neck pain from improper posture or poor ergonomics at my workplace.  I could imagine compounding this with a pair of heavy headphones to make matters worse.

My issue with ALL Audeze headphones not including the SINE or the LCD-4 (as I haven't tried these yet), is the clamping force on my cheeks.  The longest I've been able to withstand wearing a pair of LCDs is 2 hours, and I had extreme head compression as well as terrible headphone hair afterwards 
angry_face.gif

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #7,895 of 14,748
Ooo yess Im familiar with the headphone hair! Hahaha , soon Ill be in Vienna, there are retailers of Audeze but unfortunately none such of HifiMan, if someone knows just let me know. And then Ill try that Force, clamping :wink:) a guy here made some mod, his own headband and he told it much better now, if somebody has information for comnercial headbands..

Jul 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #7,896 of 14,748
Yeah Audezes suck for clamping pressure. Max for me is about 1 to 2 hours. HE1000 are comfortable all night long. So are my Ether Cs and TH-900. Audezes sound best with rock music though so they still deserve a spot.

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #7,897 of 14,748
  I second the DNA Stratus recommendation. It drives the HE1K with aplomb. Contrary to some of the sentiments on here, the Yggy does the HE1K justice. I've heard the Chord Dave, and would take the Yggy over the Cord Dave any day in this system, but I would consider a Lampi B7/TotoalDAC Dual over the Yggy. It's all about taste, and yes, I do feel the HE1K will scale based on an improvement in the DAC that feeds it.

Interesting, did you drive HEK direct from the Chord Dave? 

Can you maybe describe the sonic difference a bit? 

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #7,898 of 14,748

Interesting, did you drive HEK direct from the Chord Dave? 

Can you maybe describe the sonic difference a bit? 

I've heard the Dave on 3 different occasions, and it may be technically superior to the Yggy in most aspects. However, it didn't strike me as being as having the ability to be simultaneously as resolving, and at the same time, as soulful as the Yggy. "In my system," it wouldn't have done the HE1K justice. Horses for courses....

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #7,899 of 14,748
InnerFidelity.com posted charts on the $4,000 Focal Utopia.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopia.pdf

and this is the HE1000

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE1000.pdf

The FR and distortion seem very close between the two.  No sure what the HE1000 flat impedence has versus the Utopia in terms of sound, but it sure is noticeable.
Hope to see a full report from Tyll soon.

Paul

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #7,901 of 14,748
Haven't listened to the Focal utopia headphones yet. Anyone get a chance to compare these to the HEK??

I thought my quest was over with the HEKs.

Check out these impressions by @moedawg140  He owns the HEK and has an excellent ear for headphones and IEMs in my opinion.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv/555#post_12664939

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #7,902 of 14,748
Also looking for a storage/travel case for the HEK. Is there any issue with always plugging and unplugging the cable. Seems better not to unplug and store the phones as a unit in a travel bag or foam padded case. The pelican looks good. What size should I get to customize foam to fit it with cables attached??

Jul 24, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #7,903 of 14,748
The Peli Case 1075 mentioned somewhere in this thread is too small for the HEK in my opinion. So I got a Geekria Headphone Case for HD800, which is also large enough for HEK and K812, for example.

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #7,904 of 14,748
Haven't listened to the Focal utopia headphones yet. Anyone get a chance to compare these to the HEK??

I thought my quest was over with the HEKs.

Check out these impressions by @moedawg140
  He owns the HEK and has an excellent ear for headphones and IEMs in my opinion.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv/555#post_12664939

Here is the quote:

Focal Headphone Lineup Impressions

The Utopia's strong points are the clarity, and the speaker-like presentation. The music doesn't sound tall or wholly expansive like the HE1000. The music doesn't sound very wide like the HD 800 or HD 800 S. What the Utopia is able to present is music with an intimate surround sound feel, mimicking 5 channel speakers, not 5.1 as that would mean there is a lot of quantity bass/vehicle subwoofer-esque presentation to the headphone, which in my opinion it doesn't, especially when compared to the HE1000 when I listened back to back.

Doesn't sound like an HEK killer to me.
Does sound like a possible HD800 killer.
Mostly just an alternative choice.

I find the HEK to have the largest and most coherent Soundstage, even if it is labeled a bit laid back in comparison to an HD 800,
which uses treble resonance to its advantage in producing large Soundstage.

With the HD800,
I was able to reduce this resonance thru both popular mods and thru damping.
What I have found with the HD800 is that more pin-point accuracy is attained at the expense of Soundstage.

HD800 (and HE800S) is just a strident piece of schitt to my ears when you compare it with well driven and well sourced HE1000. 

Almost everyone mods their HD800 because of this, and makes them better than a HD800S.
:)

The HE1000 takes times to reveal it's abilities. No 15 min audition is really going to show you what it's capable of no matter what the gear. It's not something as immediately visceral as an Audeze headphone for example. But give it time and it will blow you away.

These HEK Excell at extended listening to a wider range of music genre's.

I auditioned HE1K yesterday, with a WA5-LE, and I wasn't blown away. I listened to solo piano (Emil Gilels playing the finale to the moonlight sonata) as well as several excerpts from Solti's Ring Cycle, and although the sound had a very laid-back feeling to it, vs the dynamism of my HE-6 or airy clarity of HD800...

I agree with your statement that the HEK's soundstage is not as wide as the HD800.  Disagree on the accuracy.  I have both headphones and the HEK has a much better sense of instrumentation in 3D space, to my ears.  The soundstage on the HD800 is a bit soupy for me.  The instruments seem to come from everywhere, which is really cool in certain situations.  I also prefer the bass on the HEK to the HD800 for both quantity and precision..  

I can agree as well.
To me the HE6 impact and the HD800 airy clarity are "one trick ponies"...
They do not offer more rounded package the HEK can give.
The HEK Soundstage is, to me, more precise,
and as for impact, all LCD models I have tried, have exaggerated impact,

$2000ish was my breaking point for a new pair, considering many of the driver issues/failures that have been reported...

What driver failures?  I haven't heard of any.  I read most of the threads on the HE1000.  The only complaint I've heard about -- was the jack on some of the cans was loose and some wood veneer issues.  But I think those were cleared up, or so I've been led to believe.  

I believe there were never any real driver failures.
My experience has lead to the ** socket.
Edit: (redacted)
"TMI" (too much info)
:p

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #7,905 of 14,748
http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings

Has anyone corroborated the synergy and volume capability of the QP1R dap with the HEK as in the excellent review above??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back