HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Review by mark2410
Nov 18, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #136 of 181
  Definitely more extended sounding on top and more bakanced mids than PL-50. The bump that the Pl-50 had around 2.5k was ever present for me even though I liked them a lot. I do think the PL-50 was a hair less hashy but ever so slightly and it may just be poor memory.

I don't feel faults of omission equated to neutral. Uncolored? Open? Clear? Sure but not neutral. Neutral is having the same amount of apparent bass as other frequencies or better stated, all frequencies sound to be at the same amplitude. No one would argue that these have a lean balance so definitely not neutral. No less bass than most of their competition have too much but I don't find them neutral as stock or with even with my tweak which does sound a touch more colored in the mids. I think that either way, they represent great value if the sig appeals but they don't compare to TOTL type products, at least to those that are good. 

This might be controversial, but people who say that these are tinny and have no bass must be sending these things through some crappy source, like a subpar phone or something. I don't get tinny at all.

Not really, quoted user goodvibes who explained it regarding the bass. It's how the iems are tuned, not the source player.  The 00's are good for what they are meant for (treble and mids) but the bass has obviously been reduced a few decibels.
If you were to use beats headphones on your current setup, does it mean your setup excel at pain inducing bass and suck at treble? 

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #137 of 181
I think my jh13s are heavy in the low bass. I like quad electrostatics. I am anything but a bass head. I just know real has more weight than these do stock. My portables are a QP1r and a modded ak120. I've owned things like the LPG and hate EQ. It's not my sources, files or bias and I never called anything tinny. I care about prat and overall balance... mostly in the mids. No one needs to agree with me but I'd prefer if folks weren't arbitrarily disparaged because of it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #138 of 181
  Have had these for a little more than a week- I really like them!! Jazz and acoustic music is excellent with these IEMs. Been tip rolling and I did not care for the Comply T-400 medium tips- they lose their sparkle and bass seemed more flabby. I may need the large tips to get a better seal. At the time I got the Comply tips, I also purchased the Spinfit tips- Ahhhh!! Now you're talking!! Better fit than the original tips (which I liked) with slightly better clarity and comparable bass. 

Noticed the same thing with the Comply tips. Bass is a bit more something, not experienced to say what. Flabby may be the word, but seems a bit harsh, considering I think I like the bass with these tips.  Final verdict not in just yet.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #139 of 181
This might be controversial, but people who say that these are tinny and have no bass must be sending these things through some crappy source, like a subpar phone or something. I don't get tinny at all.

Here's an easy test. Use this free online tone generator and move the slider from the mids slowly towards bass (left side). Check if volume level stays the same as you go below 200Hz. If you don't get a noticeable drop in bass level relative to the mids, then congrats, the stock RE-00 is perfect for you!

Depending on individual ear anatomy and listening volume, results may be significantly different for different people!
smile_phones.gif

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #140 of 181
True but there is more to bass quality than quantity. Damping also plays a roll. for me, it's less about bass quantity than how the mids are a bit less solid than they could be. Take my comments with a grain as I feel these are VG as is. I'm speaking in absolutes and like the device as it comes out the box.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #141 of 181
My early impressions compared to the RE-400 (sorry for the noob sound descriptions):
  1. The RE-00 has more mid-bass and less sub-bass than the RE-400 IMO. This makes them sound "fuller" and slightly closer to the RE-600. The bass however is not as clean as the RE-600. It's not "flabby," but isn't tight by any means -- especially compared to the RE-400, which is lean and clean.
  2. Perhaps because of aforementioned bass difference, the RE-00 is less open/clear sounding than the RE-400. Everything just sounds a bit "crowded." Can't say whether this is just my ears going directly from the RE-400 or if they are worse than average.
  3. Mids/vocals are a bit forward and smooth, like the typical Hifiman IEM style. I like them, though they're not as good as the RE-400.
  4. The highs seem slightly more recessed / less detailed than the RE-400.

Overall I like the RE-00, though probably not as much as the RE-400. I do think that the slightly changed sound sig will appeal to a wider range of listeners -- especially those who haven't become used to the RE-400. Both sets are similar and both sound good, but the extra mid-bass and fuller sound is more what people are used to.

*edit: I should also mention that I'm using the stock bi-flanged tips from the RE-400 with the RE-00. Doing this improved the overall sound compared to what the RE-00 shipped with, as those RE-400 tips are just perfect for my ears.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #142 of 181
On the topic of tips, I switched to small sony ear tips and could finally fully insert the iems deeper into my ears and get a tighter seal. The mids opened up more and are now much clearer now. The signature is still V-shaped but at least the mids are not as garbage when I first heard them. From the stock tips, I just assumed they were the type of iems to not need full insertion, especially since the edges are a little sharp.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #143 of 181
Some have found the construction quality of these earphones questionable.  I've seen the photos of them with the barrels twisted off to show the insides.  I ordered a second pair of these because they are so easy to get into and am going to solder on a balanced cable to them.  One person's QC gripes are another person's DIY opportunity I guess.  Haha.

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #144 of 181
My early impressions compared to the RE-400 (sorry for the noob sound descriptions):
  • The RE-00 has more mid-bass and less sub-bass than the RE-400 IMO. This makes them sound "fuller" and slightly closer to the RE-600. The bass however is not as clean as the RE-600. It's not "flabby," but isn't tight by any means -- especially compared to the RE-400, which is lean and clean.
  • Perhaps because of aforementioned bass difference, the RE-00 is less open/clear sounding than the RE-400. Everything just sounds a bit "crowded." Can't say whether this is just my ears going directly from the RE-400 or if they are worse than average.
  • Mids/vocals are a bit forward and smooth, like the typical Hifiman IEM style. I like them, though they're not as good as the RE-400.
  • The highs seem slightly more recessed / less detailed than the RE-400.

Overall I like the RE-00, though probably not as much as the RE-400. I do think that the slightly changed sound sig will appeal to a wider range of listeners -- especially those who haven't become used to the RE-400. Both sets are similar and both sound good, but the extra mid-bass and fuller sound is more what people are used to.

*edit: I should also mention that I'm using the stock bi-flanged tips from the RE-400 with the RE-00. Doing this improved the overall sound compared to what the RE-00 shipped with, as those RE-400 tips are just perfect for my ears.

My findings are the exact opposite. I hate the RE-400. I found the RE-400 to sound congested and lacked detail and clarity. This is true even after modding my RE-400 by removing the foam that is inside the nozzle. To me they are unlistenable. The RE-00 sounds close to the old RE-Zero, but I still prefer the RE-Zero by just a hair.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #145 of 181
My findings are the exact opposite. I hate the RE-400. I found the RE-400 to sound congested and lacked detail and clarity. This is true even after modding my RE-400 by removing the foam that is inside the nozzle. To me they are unlistenable. The RE-00 sounds close to the old RE-Zero, but I still prefer the RE-Zero by just a hair.

One thing I've found with the 400 and 00 is that tips + fit dramatically affect the sound and anything but the small double flange sounds terrible to me on both sets (and that's with a "proper seal"). To my ears the 400 definitely has good detail and what I would call an "intimate" sound (limited soundstage). Highs aren't incredibly detailed but are very forgiving. I didn't find the 00 strayed from that much -- they definitely shouldnt be drastically different.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #146 of 181
One thing I've found with the 400 and 00 is that tips + fit dramatically affect the sound and anything but the small double flange sounds terrible to me on both sets (and that's with a "proper seal"). To my ears the 400 definitely has good detail and what I would call an "intimate" sound (limited soundstage). Highs aren't incredibly detailed but are very forgiving. I didn't find the 00 strayed from that much -- they definitely shouldnt be drastically different.
Yep, my 00 only sound right to me with triple flange.

Dec 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #148 of 181
Dec 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #150 of 181

I tried the stock ones and the smaller flange barely fits in the outer part of my canals. Even the standard small double flanges are too big for me though. The small triple flange I got from China work great but they itch if I wear them long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back