HiFiMAN RE-00 Earphone Review by mark2410
Dec 3, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #152 of 181
Anyone tried these earphones with Audioquest Black or Red on an iPhone? Feedback?  Are these DACs able to extract full potential out of these earphones without an amp?  I like to listen my music on the road so portability is very important.  

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #154 of 181
So I listened to them again today on my questyle and decided to see what EQ would do to my modded pair. I mentioned on the mod that I hear a very slight upper bass lower mid push and that perhaps a little more open than just one vent would be best. Well I like all the cursers flat except the one 125hz. Knocked that one down 1 click and everything sounds right all the way down to the 32hz cursor which is also best flat. 64hz also best at neutral. Played with every cursor above 125hz and it only got worse if changed one up or down. These are really flat through the mids and top. I'm not an EQ guy but if you are, one vent closed and tick down at 125hz is about as flat as things get from 30 to as high as I can hear. If I get around to it, I may play with opening the second vent a nay hair to see if it help.

When something is underdamped as I feel these are stock your curve looks like the top. The middle is typical overdamping and the bottom is what I hear from these with 1 vent closed. Doesn't look like much but with the very small bump being where it is on such an otherwise very linear device. It's audible on my daps but I'm kinda anal. It would be less so if it were broader or part of a rising bass curve. Just some info for those that like to play.

Thanks to James reminding me, my terminology is incorrect here. But the small volume rear vs large volume loading profile is correct. Sorry for any confusion. Used to be 2nd nature for me but oops.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #155 of 181
  Anyone tried these earphones with Audioquest Black or Red on an iPhone? Feedback?  Are these DACs able to extract full potential out of these earphones without an amp?  I like to listen my music on the road so portability is very important.  

love mine with the DragonFly Red.  iPhone 6S+ -> CCK -> jitterbug -> Dragonfly Red is my go to "walk the dog" setup, which means I use it for about an hour a day at least.  Also used this combo exclusively during a 14 day european vacation, and never felt like I was lacking.

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #156 of 181
When something is underdamped as I feel these are stock your curve looks like the top. The middle is typical overdamping and the bottom is what I hear from these with 1 vent closed. Doesn't look like much but with the very small bump being where it is on such an otherwise very linear device. It's audible on my daps but I'm kinda anal. It would be less so if it were broader or part of a rising bass curve. Just some info for those that like to play.  

Are you sure you didn't confuse underdamped with overdamped?

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #157 of 181
Yes i'm sure in this case, overdamped will bump the midbass and then roll to where it has less low bass. Of course it's also dependent on the system and amount of damping but this is closest to infinite baffle where you are changing the back loading only. Here you go. 

http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/SpeakerBasics.html

Their underdamped example is extreme but it makes the point. It would appear that my tweak is a gnat hair to stiff as I suspected when I 1st did it.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #159 of 181
  Yes i'm sure in this case, overdamped will bump the midbass and then roll to where it has less low bass. Of course it's also dependent on the system and amount of damping but this is closest to infinite baffle where you are changing the back loading only. Here you go. 

http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/SpeakerBasics.html

Their underdamped example is extreme but it makes the point. It would appear that my tweak is a gnat hair overdamped as I suspected when I 1st did it.

Err, your source basically states the same as my snippet: lower Q equals higher damping, and vice versa. So the red curve would be overdamped and the blue curve underdamped.

Or am I missing something here?
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #161 of 181

Err, your source basically states the same as my snippet: lower Q equals higher damping, and vice versa. So the red curve would be overdamped and the blue curve underdamped.

Or am I missing something here?
confused.gif

Blue curve is tiny box, red curve is huge box and yes the terminology isn't correct as used but the process I used correct. Apologies. The system is more compliant as is and less so with the tweak. Been a while since I used this and got it twisted. I claim old age. As you can tell, I didn't check and just drew some curves. Should have checked my own link, LOL. Oops. 
redface.gif
 Thanks. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #162 of 181
Yes, I didn't bother with Comply tips as well despite I'm having 2-3 spare pairs lying around. In most cases the Complys change the character of an IEM.
I think that the Spinfits make for an excellent fit with the RE-00. They sit not very deep in the ear with these tips while the sealing and comfort is top notch. I agree that jazz music as well mid-paced melodic fm rock sound amazing through these. Rock fusion bands like Koinonia or Toto shine.

A powerful source is also very important. I'm satisfied with my Dragonfly driving my RE-00 but the combo DX-90-RE-00 takes it to another level!

I'd suggest anyone not particularly impressed with the RE-00 to try a wide range of tips (preferably use the Spinfits) and pair it with a capable source. These iems scale extremely well with power and rated at 64 ohms that's not a surprise. 

Which size Spin Fits fit the RE-00?

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #165 of 181
Thanks for the advice. Haven't used my massdrop account for so long because it's based in the states and the resultant customs charges. But I can see how stupid I've been missing this. I agree 100% with mark2410 on these. I'm reviewing them for earphonia.com. I can't believe how good they sound for the money! Why are we paying £500 more for marginal improvements on iems of this quality? I have been Lent the rhapsodio clipper. If people like bass and can sacrifice some of the upper extension of the re00 , these are a pocket money price too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back