Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jun 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #3,841 of 4,259
But the Sundara already had the "NEO Supernano" diaphragm. They make it seem like this is a new feature with this supposed 2022 model, but that already existed on earlier models.

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #3,842 of 4,259
But the Sundara already had the "NEO Supernano" diaphragm. They make it seem like this is a new feature with this supposed 2022 model, but that already existed on earlier models.

The other mob in Melbourne are advertising it as a new revision as well - I'm totally confused now!!

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/hifiman-sundara-2022-magnetic-planar-headphones?currency=AUD&variant=39782606897286&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI37HCz6Gv-AIVUSUrCh2MBQbVEAYYAiABEgKKjPD_BwE

Is this just some marketing ploy or is there a new revision??

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3,843 of 4,259
I think its just the regular 2020 revision sundara.
besides the title they do not mention any 2022 version in the description. its the same advertising as the 2020 on hifiman official page.
also, as mentioned by others, they list wrong specs like impedance, sensitivity and frequency range.
you could ask the support on their sites to make sure though.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #3,845 of 4,259
Are these hard to drive? Thanks
No and yes. Their low impedance means that you CAN drive them with a phone. But not well. Sundara, like all planars, is current hungry. Though a phone will drifve them, they wake up with power, and the difference is sublime. I take my Aeon RT closed on flights, and I forgot the Fiio montblanc amp i usually carry on my last trip. With my DAP only, I was at 93% volume, and Aeons sounded pretty thin. whilst not Sundara, they are planars. Power really helps… Schiit Magni/Vali do pretty darn well with Sundara, so you don’t have to break the bank.

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #3,846 of 4,259
I've just grabbed a Sundara 2020 to replace my HD579. My initial impression was that it was quite bright, lacked some bass, and a good soundstage. Surprisingly, after a few days burn-in, that is, burning my own ear, not the sundara, now I'm getting used to it. Feeling less bright, bass has more control, mid is on par with 579, and a much better soundstage.
Waiting for my Zen Air Can to try the power and the XBass function (I'm using USB DAC with built-in AMP, not enough for the Sundara though)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,847 of 4,259
Hey,
It's been some time that i'm trying to find an upgrade to my Sundara (with FAW Noir Hybrid cable).
Those last two months i was able to demo for a few days an Hifiman HE1000se, a Solitaire P-SE, the Meze Empyrean & Elite, a ZMF Atrium and a HEDDphone.
All those headphones are great in their own ways but, as a total packaging (technicality & musicality, FR with the perfect tonality - IMO - and amount of brightness and crispiness but no peaks, price, ...) none of them wow me more than the Sundara.
So i hope that Hifiman will one day come with a Sundara 2.0 with the same FR with better technicality and a price around 1500 USD😀

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #3,849 of 4,259
demoed this yesterday using tunes I'm quite familiar with.

a big turn-off for me (and this applies to the XS, Sundara and RE9 as I demoed all 3) is the build quality. the materials used seems lower quality compared to those used on the Fostex T60RP (which I also demoed). The pads are very stif as well compared to the very supple material used on the Fostex.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #3,850 of 4,259
demoed this yesterday using tunes I'm quite familiar with.

a big turn-off for me (and this applies to the XS, Sundara and RE9 as I demoed all 3) is the build quality. the materials used seems lower quality compared to those used on the Fostex T60RP. The pads are very stif as well compared to the very supple material used on the Fostex.
Build quality but more so QC is not exactly HIFIMAN's strong point, I had to replace the pads quickly on my Sundara since the glue fell apart quickly

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #3,851 of 4,259
I just received a used 2020 model. I have to tilt the headphones forward for them to fit my small head. The headband has to rest further forward as a result and the pads are still touching the tops of my ears.

1. Are there any mods so the Sundara fits a smaller head? Maybe a pad or cushion that can fit around the headband or something above the headband?

2. Also, are there any mods to increase the clamping force a bit?

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,852 of 4,259
(...)
1. Are there any mods so the Sundara fits a smaller head? Maybe a pad or cushion that can fit around the headband or something above the headband?

(...)
I think Dekoni has what they call "nuggets" that might be just what you need.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #3,854 of 4,259
Good times! :beerchug:

Sundara & WA2 (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back