Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 13, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #3,871 of 4,259
according to https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/headphones-headphone-amplifiers/ta-zh1es/specifications
it has 1200mW output power @ 32 ohm impedance at the balanced port, and 300mW at unbalanced.

my smsl sh-6 has 1300mW output power @ 32 ohm and has plenty of headroom driving the sundara.
my fiio btr5 has 220mW output on balanced port, and still has some headroom.

so yes, your 2.000$ amp has enough power on all outputs.

for the ifi thing they have this calculator for their products: https://ifi-audio.com/home/headphone-calculator/
Thank you. Is it possible to use a balanced 4.4mm cable with them?

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3,872 of 4,259
And yes, these really do work with the Sony TA-ZH1ES. This is definitely the different sound signature I've been looking for.

Jul 15, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #3,873 of 4,259
I ordered Sundara 2020, I had a good B-stock opportunity and I want to try them.

I have had Ananda in the past, which I then sold.

They weren't perfect, but they actually did almost everything right and after trying so many other headphones I miss them a little. Maybe they were the best overall I've heard.

I hope Sundara 2020 are worthy. I imagine that compared to the Ananda I will have to give up a bit of soundstage, detail, sub-basses ... but maybe they do something better too.

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #3,874 of 4,259
I ordered Sundara 2020, I had a good B-stock opportunity and I want to try them.

I have had Ananda in the past, which I then sold.

They weren't perfect, but they actually did almost everything right and after trying so many other headphones I miss them a little. Maybe they were the best overall I've heard.

I hope Sundara 2020 are worthy. I imagine that compared to the Ananda I will have to give up a bit of soundstage, detail, sub-basses ... but maybe they do something better too.
Then lower your expectation, since Sundara is a "lite" version of Ananda, not the superior one

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #3,875 of 4,259
Then lower your expectation, since Sundara is a "lite" version of Ananda, not the superior one
Sundara (2020) vs Ananda (non stealth):

Sundara have a more punchy, lively and energetic sound, Ananda definitely more relaxed.

Sundara's treble are a bit harsher, but I can tolerate them. Ananda's treble are smoother and more refined.

One major difference is on soundstage, Sundara are a much more intimate experience, Ananda have a much wider soundstage and bigger sound.

Ananda slightly improve Sundara's technicalities, but very succinctly I think that if you're okay with Sundara's treble and a more intimate soundstage the upgrade - at double the price - isn't worth it.

I also think that even for the same price some might prefer Sundara's more energetic and "fun" presentation.

A short comparison also with the Sennheiser HD 6XX:

With the 6XX I can't concentrate only on the music, I would get bored, while I listen to them I also do other things.

The Sundara draw attention to music, while I listen to them I cannot devote myself to anything else.

The 6XX are the 650, in Europe 650 and Sundara have the same price. I honestly think Sundara could sell for double the price of the 650's. They're superior in every way - maybe the 650's just make the voices slightly better.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #3,876 of 4,259
HE400i 2016 vs Sundara with a broken leather strap for similar price

Hi, I got the option between these two. I compared them yesterday and liked the 400i more but that was a review 400i with hundreds if not thousands of hours vs a Sundara that was just taken out of the box for me specifically, zero burn in.
What concerns me are these things:
• Comfort. Is the 400i headband more comfortable? Can the newer (Sundara) headband have the clamp force reduced by bending it a little? Can the old one?
• QC. I have heard the 400i 2016 has issues with headband plastic breaking and the drivers stop working supposedly in some units. Does Sundara fix that problem mostly? I know its not perfect but is it a noticeable improvement?
• Sound Quality. I only had a fresh Sundara and 400i was a bit better especially on bass (parametric EQ applied on both) but I’m wondering if that’s not just Sundara BEING fresh. Is the Sundara worth it for that 10$ + head strap cost?

I don’t want to go for 400 series 2020 version because of the head strap being garbage IMO.

Especially my question is in regards to the bass, I have noticed 400i review unit to have SIGNIFICANTLY better bass than Sundara - much much more textured and resolving. Is it something anyone else can confirm? Is it just the issue of Sundaras being not burnt in at all since they were straight from the box?

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #3,877 of 4,259
Sundara is cheaper than the Ananda but the Sundara springs from the round cup models of early days. They spring from the 400 line.

Ananda is a thinner Mylar cheaper version of the long cup HEX v2. It's got a much bigger soundstage, goes clean down under 20 Hz, and is much more transparent but it also lacks body and does not represent harmonics at all well. It's also short on bass impact.

The Sundara has more body, more bass impact but doesn't do bass well under 50 Hz. Get a test recording before you snigger.

They actually make a good combo to cover all musics. But if you have an amp that does 4 WPC, the HE-6SE (either version) smokes both overall, and plays everything.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,878 of 4,259
A short comparison also with the Sennheiser HD 6XX:

With the 6XX I can't concentrate only on the music, I would get bored, while I listen to them I also do other things.

The Sundara draw attention to music, while I listen to them I cannot devote myself to anything else.
This is exactly how I feel about them in a 3 line comparison.

The Sundara feels much more lively and energetic than 6XX. I get bored with the 6XX pretty quickly as well, but this is indeed an advantage when doing other stuff like cleaning up.. they don’t distract you as much. After a certain time of use the clamp also decreases and the headphone adjusts to your head, so they become very comfortable.

With the Sundara I can’t do other things because they are heavier with inferior weight distribution on the head. And secondly when I put the Sundaras on and move around I have to stop every few minutes to realize how great the music is and how brilliant some instruments sound. I always end up sitting down somewhere forgetting about what I actually wanted to do :D

My newest addition is the AT R70x, which is even more comfortable than 6XX for me and has about similar sound quality as the Sundara. Have you heard or considered auditioning them? Would highly recommend you to test them as well.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #3,879 of 4,259
This is exactly how I feel about them in a 3 line comparison.

The Sundara feels much more lively and energetic than 6XX. I get bored with the 6XX pretty quickly as well, but this is indeed an advantage when doing other stuff like cleaning up.. they don’t distract you as much. After a certain time of use the clamp also decreases and the headphone adjusts to your head, so they become very comfortable.

With the Sundara I can’t do other things because they are heavier with inferior weight distribution on the head. And secondly when I put the Sundaras on and move around I have to stop every few minutes to realize how great the music is and how brilliant some instruments sound. I always end up sitting down somewhere forgetting about what I actually wanted to do :D

My newest addition is the AT R70x, which is even more comfortable than 6XX for me and has about similar sound quality as the Sundara. Have you heard or considered auditioning them? Would highly recommend you to test them as well.
Yes, the R70x have always intrigued me, but I really have no way of auditioning.

The only possibility would be to order them from Amazon with a month to make a free return, in case I don't like them.

I read a well-known reviewer on reddit who described them as 6XXs with deeper bass, but less resolution, which took me a little away from trying them.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #3,880 of 4,259
Yes, the R70x have always intrigued me, but I really have no way of auditioning.

The only possibility would be to order them from Amazon with a month to make a free return, in case I don't like them.

I read a well-known reviewer on reddit who described them as 6XXs with deeper bass, but less resolution, which took me a little away from trying them.
Yea, it was a bit random for me too. I was at a dj-store when I remembered that they also have the R70x on demand, so I tested them and instantly considered buying them. Good place has a 30 day return policy even when buying in store.

About resolution, yes you hear more details with the Sundara, but it’s about on par or slightly better than 6XX I’d say (but I don’t care too much about every last detail when the hp gives you joy).

What’s really great about R70x is the bass extension (agree with the reddit reviewer) and a much better imaging/headstage together with a tonal balance that is like 6XX/650.

But in the end i think it comes down to: Do you need another pair of headphones for 350 bucks?

And I know the answer is never rational. :)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #3,881 of 4,259
Or $193 if it becomes an Amazon Prime Day deal. It can happen like when I bought my Sundara at that price.

Jul 24, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #3,882 of 4,259
If anyone owns a Sundara that has one damaged driver and one good driver, please PM me if you're interested in selling it. I wish to swap out my damaged driver for your good one.

Edit: Just purchased another pair to replace this one. Hoping it won't have the same problem.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #3,883 of 4,259
Hey,
It's been some time that i'm trying to find an upgrade to my Sundara (with FAW Noir Hybrid cable).
Those last two months i was able to demo for a few days an Hifiman HE1000se, a Solitaire P-SE, the Meze Empyrean & Elite, a ZMF Atrium and a HEDDphone.
All those headphones are great in their own ways but, as a total packaging (technicality & musicality, FR with the perfect tonality - IMO - and amount of brightness and crispiness but no peaks, price, ...) none of them wow me more than the Sundara.
So i hope that Hifiman will one day come with a Sundara 2.0 with the same FR with better technicality and a price around 1500 USD😀
I finally found MY Sundara's upgrade and it's an Hifiman HE1000v2😀

Edit: Instruments in the HE1000v2 have beautiful timbre and you have more details then the Sundara. BUT i've decided to keep the Sundara as there was less "emotional engagement" with the HE1000v2 (IMO)

Edit 2: I took a gamble and bought an HE6seV2 and ... my forever beloved Sundara is gone... Add also a new Ananda SE to compliment...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #3,885 of 4,259
I got Sundara 3 weeks ago. Just want to share my experience.

Couple years ago, I went from consumer grade headphones to my first entry-level audiophile headphone in Hifiman Deva. That was a huge step up, and a big revelation going to Deva. I heard details and soundstage in Deva that I didn't realize existed previously. Then I got Sennheiser HD560S for FPS gaming. And now Sundara. The difference from Deva and HD560S to Sundara is not as significant as before. It is a nice upgrade, but just not night and day improvement.

Although Deva and 560S do not sound the same, I would say it is a toss up the two. Just depends on what your preference is. 560S has good vocals, decent soundstage. Whereas Deva has bigger soundstage, at expense of recessed vocals. Details are similar between these 2. Deva has slightly better detail, because it has better instrument separation.

Then going to Sundara, Sundara is an upgrade in almost all aspects over Deva and 560S. Sundara has more detail; good vocals; better bass; bigger soundstage than HD560s (but not as big as Deva). Tuning is almost perfect. I tried Sundara without EQ versus Oratory 1990 (without bass), there is virtually no difference. Only bass needs to be boosted, and the level of depends on personal taste. Those who are not big on bass can use Sundara as-is. And if you want more bass, add Oratory's low-shelf EQ setting.

In terms of value and budget, HD560S is still a good buy for someone who only have $150 budget. And if FPS gaming is priority, HD560S provides excellent directionality and positioning information that Hifiman's planar magnetic cannot match.

For Deva, it is harder to make that case today. When I bought Deva, I paid $180 for open-box wired version. At that time Sundara was $400. That was a big difference between $180 to $400. Today, Deva & Deva Pro wired is $190-$200 (or $170 for open-box); bluetooth is $300-$330. In comparison Sundara is $300 for new and $250 for open box. If anyone is considering Deva, just get Sundara.

The only reason someone might get Deva bluethooth over Sundara is if bluethooth wireless is absolutely must-have. But hard to argue this is a must-have vs nice-to-have. I can understand if someone is using wireless outside home (office, commute, train, bus, etc), then closed-back wireless plus ANC is be needed. But Deva is not really usable outside the home. Hard to argue a use case for open-back for inside home use that requires wireless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back