Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,807 of 4,255
Is the Sundara a worthwhile upgrade from the HE400i? Or is more of a step sideways?
I think it’s a worthwhile upgrade but then again I also prefer the Sundara over the Arya, so yeah...there’s that.
The Sundara has better reach down low compared to the OG HE400i (not the new one) and also sounds more linear. It still has the planar laidback uppermids but comes up again fairly quickly and gives you a wonderfully smooth-sounding treble. That’s the main thing that sets them apart imho. The Sundara sports one of the finest treble deliveries I’ve heard in a headphone outside of estats and HD600/650. There is some brightness coming through on the rare track but only really noticeable if you’re coming from say a Sennie...and yet again some times I prefer the added zing I get from the Hifiman simply because I find it ‘breathes air‘ into the music.

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #2,808 of 4,255
I think it’s a worthwhile upgrade but then again I also prefer the Sundara over the Arya, so yeah...there’s that.
The Sundara has better reach down low compared to the OG HE400i (not the new one) and also sounds more linear. It still has the planar laidback uppermids but comes up again fairly quickly and gives you a wonderfully smooth-sounding treble. That’s the main thing that sets them apart imho. The Sundara sports one of the finest treble deliveries I’ve heard in a headphone outside of estats and HD600/650. There is some brightness coming through on the rare track but only really noticeable if you’re coming from say a Sennie...and yet again some times I prefer the added zing I get from the Hifiman simply because I find it ‘breathes air‘ into the music.
Thank you!

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,809 of 4,255
Hey guys I am very new to External Dac/Amp scene. Just got my Sundara's delivered yesterday, they sound exceptionally good just out of my Hiby R3Pro Saber and Plenue D2 ( ofcourse I had to push the volume close to 100 on R3pro saber n 119 on D2 on high impedance). I am waiting for my L30+ E30 to be delivered soon to test the real capabilities of Sundara. So far am impressed now I'm clue less to how extra power would affect the sonical performance.
If I want to connect my DAP's as a just a source to my Setup how do I do it? What cable should I buy? Both my DAP's have balanced port do can I connect balanced to the setup or only can use 3.5? Please guide me what particular cables I should be getting to run my DAP's as a source to E30+L30.
Thank you, These are my first planars and the Sundara hype is real! Now I know 🙂

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,810 of 4,255
Does anyone use the Meze cable for Sundara ?
Because i just try that and something strange happens with meze cable sounded different worst like there is no fullness no sepperattion and smaller soundstage. I dont get how is this possible. 20201105_015619.jpg

Nov 5, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #2,814 of 4,255
Only the tip carries signal, ring is unused, and sleeve is for ground on both headphone male connectors. So 2 poles is enough to do the job.

-DIYed my own cable for sundara
I get that i also make some tests for Left + Right and souround sound ... and they sound ok with both cables , but after a lot of music listening again the stock SUndara cables has bigger soundstage and sepperation... Do u know how is this possible ? Its strange to me because all these years i have never heard such a difference from a cable.
My only problem with Sundara stock cable is that its unflexible .

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,815 of 4,255
I get that i also make some tests for Left + Right and souround sound ... and they sound ok with both cables , but after a lot of music listening again the stock SUndara cables has bigger soundstage and sepperation... Do u know how is this possible ? Its strange to me because all these years i have never heard such a difference from a cable.
My only problem with Sundara stock cable is that its unflexible .

I dont think that should happen... but one possibility i can think of are reversed polarity of wiring for Meze headphones although Tip - Signal and Sleeve - Ground should be standard. In this scenario you can search youtube for "polarity check" videos to test when it sounds proper/improper.

cqCdtNlCD6UzJeOdzD7ro1h_GLbo7uGbFDbykMHGiIIhlUma2WW5VAf-skpkaMzgx1ZrtBhpcmQoVTW463849lFoSBnz8e22DIvwb9WNzv4PhUYFwPj_4-ztateR_UGrcjY-aQ-nQlygbHR54hLDIkK9-z8-Fc3PZw2g4T3kOS3wctmHh81kv_uCR3BR8ZrSDHcf0zDai7pOczewk2z1CZkiUuBGwqxBelAUqHfNvI5NTzXpzGRMeVIJZRiuPUgR14yaH4i7VUAsZad7nU0Tdh3GOG1CaEcTFbqJ57EXZQl1CjwnabwKxXviChpMgaeiXGkfYjqckkktdwW8wMKTkCOwsupaoA08xxZaWDqSo1yIwcA8meF6K5PPtavz57zAVNMwM3YLlJp3K3zDtowwChfq-RZQnaccsFX5nPJRXSojCgnk5rhE-yUMwwy6Vyi3c9dX3NjO5LuGUiz4M4CApDKNJ1eILd5-mpvmFf48LKmKeIw51g9vyaakd05dnNjR1m2ZquIu_vh8i3HGoubJzxPzeTYlaf_TKAHR-VHqTgH3m4MwKaCDMjfCYhjhawz6f80eQdH79N3tQJX1LHXndgp00Avt5RuSKH580zL6nz_U8eyeMSxwsZluyEK9rP-jNO7fVWr-sSr5izRWp_haPM_lBqQcYuu_b9_9w6hsKAqWY-nF7ppyCAtqAYY91A=w1565-h880-no
NM3xxcwsk2e1L4TY9LgHFXsg2NJn-F1Yua2zZX9XH0npEFRtbNsdzuKDC2R7hJcsHorR9j6vk7o7438DmTpi5G-J-jpIuH64rg_t0eKj8AlGAXuNQ5OA0gEkyAbwMQdh6cjKUT96RqGHHUxcjcR3wA_DWNXbVb7jQow3LiXN4LUDJZu_fo7lDIAG-jTBRvulP2p0BV4ZAjAy47iKESxIGZuM0vBrrw5Fw8i0kFhfTwUmsh4rYNNez5Fe2oukpUq0DT07WjAUuks4bSbUgTof7pHbcC6gm4axVLQ0eccxVA7CvwgB6k3SW7qRHwcvR2huPqgcKIS3YCIZCtc-rg_ZJ23wsZFrylplwbxMSjSBsG3coXknzwo0uyZJhnfhkPXtvayqOJXBObQXtC1f4oF3p2YJAGlynevJ7mJkLogML3kJdCwiiHaEG8USJR53X5Q9_l2MLNrODp-jDIbnLGivG9YhvABy8a3oxwWz65l4W0hMSRb_kh4rL2HzAtRTAlVk70oGPd3eO-J-RZhG1bzK12ut_YMOzpnpIb3JH_4F9IFNeSQhtSqu4RgJvb4xcc1SzKrCDLhDrfQwCny_7b-gMzE02WI8GxdGb4EisfIc21AepaXZguAC9rsfcnX1JBigazOo2SlZoQT94z5SP4DSxED-kTawmKfeqU1CfYgeWQN8iIKStr6oMyq1FG0hKg=w495-h880-no

For reference, here is my DIY cable wired accordingly as mentioned in my previous post without polarity+issues you experience. Otherwise, there are cheap+lightweight amazon cables praised in this thread, and hart cables + periapt cables are also praised but a bit more premium priced.

Nov 5, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,817 of 4,255
I wonder if the bass roll-off on these compared to the Ananda is merely due to the pad materials. On one review I watched comparing the Ananda to the Sundara, they mentioned that the Ananda pads looked like they used a genuine leather versus the Sundara pleather material. Makes me wish they offered the same materials with the Sundara pads, but maybe that's one aspect that intentionally makes them 'cheaper'. $50 pads versus $80 pads is a big difference.

With a low shelf on my EQ, I can get some pretty superb sub bass and impact out of these though so not sure how much that would even make a difference (maybe just in the 10-20hz range would be less rolled off). I do wonder how much EQ will put stress on the driver versus just a bit more seal support though. I've been recommending some somewhat aggressive bass EQ on these (as they sound like they can fully handle it), so I'd feel bad if this was greatly reducing the life of the driver?

Overall I love these headphones though, and the low bass EQ is a simple fix that makes this a great all arounder for me.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #2,818 of 4,255
I wonder if the bass roll-off on these compared to the Ananda is merely due to the pad materials. On one review I watched comparing the Ananda to the Sundara, they mentioned that the Ananda pads looked like they used a genuine leather versus the Sundara pleather material. Makes me wish they offered the same materials with the Sundara pads, but maybe that's one aspect that intentionally makes them 'cheaper'. $50 pads versus $80 pads is a big difference.

With a low shelf on my EQ, I can get some pretty superb sub bass and impact out of these though so not sure how much that would even make a difference (maybe just in the 10-20hz range would be less rolled off). I do wonder how much EQ will put stress on the driver versus just a bit more seal support though. I've been recommending some somewhat aggressive bass EQ on these (as they sound like they can fully handle it), so I'd feel bad if this was greatly reducing the life of the driver?

Overall I love these headphones though, and the low bass EQ is a simple fix that makes this a great all arounder for me.
i do the same for my HE400i 2020, around 5db boost under 50hz and the sub bass is fully extended with that simple EQ

Nov 5, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,819 of 4,255
Just looked both Sundara and Meze cable and like u said its 3vs2 poles
They only use tip & sleeve. My cable from Periapt only has 2, works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back