Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,821 of 4,255
Does anyone use the Meze cable for Sundara ?
Because i just try that and something strange happens with meze cable sounded different worst like there is no fullness no sepperattion and smaller soundstage. I dont get how is this possible.20201105_015619.jpg
I use it (and the balanced one around 50$), both are good, not noticing any loss in sound quality with Meze vs stock

Nov 7, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,823 of 4,255
One more post regarding the bass roll off on the Sundara. Would the blu-tack mod help with this? Has anyone tried it?

After doing more research, this has been done quite a bit with Hifiman cans as they maybe have a history of baffle leakage. I'm curious as to why it seems fewer people do Sundara mods than with any other Hifiman? Maybe it's because the FR is so great overall.

It seems easily reversible, so I might just try this and revert it if it doesn't help with the roll off... would be nice if I could correct this acoustically to some degree. Again, they take low shelf EQ incredibly well, but perhaps this is creating more of a hump than it could be.

EDIT: A quick look under the pad reveals an incredibly tight and padded baffle already!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,824 of 4,255
Yesterday I removed the pantyhose layer under the grills again and found the following changes:

-looks dope
-more holographic
-high hats and cymbals sound more crisp (evident in Eagles - Hotel California and Beatles - In My Life)
-better subbass

BEFORE:
20200417_001038.jpg

AFTER:
20201111_110808.jpg

20201111_110825.jpg

I've also run them with shelf liner under the pads. This helps with splashy treble, it is well documented in other hifiman threads

20200416_234421.jpg

I recommend everyone try the shelf liner mod first. Both can be easily reversed to stock form.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,825 of 4,255
Yesterday I removed the pantyhose layer under the grills again and found the following changes:

-looks dope
-more holographic
-high hats and cymbals sound more crisp (evident in Eagles - Hotel California and Beatles - In My Life)
-better subbass

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I've also run them with shelf liner under the pads. This helps with slashy treble, it is well documented in other hifiman threads

I recommend everyone try the shelf liner mod first. Both can be easily reversed to stock form.

I heard that this 'pantyhose layer' is their new dust cover to prevent driver issues down the line. More sub bass sounds good to me, but this is a newer Hifiman modification to address QC issues as I understand.

Think it's wise to keep off like that?

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #2,826 of 4,255
I heard that this 'pantyhose layer' is their new dust cover to prevent driver issues down the line. More sub bass sounds good to me, but this is a newer Hifiman modification to address QC issues as I understand.

Think it's wise to keep off like that?

Yes I realize it functions as dust filter, but I observed all hifiman fanbois running grillmod have no "pantyhose layer" so I figure i'd give it a try.

Is it wise? up to you if you put your headphones through rough environments or want to squeeze out every drop of performance

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #2,828 of 4,255
It looks like these mods getting out foams in front and back of the driver are still for debate. I have done these mods on other headphones from Sennheiser and Beyerdynamics using 5 different types like foams silk thin cotton etch etch dynamat magnets all these kind of.mods... And truth is that some of them do.make a difference good or bad its about taste some sound faster and brighter but lose something else like creating reflections or not.be smooth anymore.
But from my xp all drivers must have something to be protected by external dust or hairs or sweet etch etch unless if they used very carefully and stored inside somewhere.
I have seen a lot of people with HD58X without foams or Dt770 and some are reporting rattling drivers because of a hair or something else. But again if u are carefull ita ok.

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #2,829 of 4,255
Yes I realize it functions as dust filter, but I observed all hifiman fanbois running grillmod have no "pantyhose layer" so I figure i'd give it a try.

Is it wise? up to you if you put your headphones through rough environments or want to squeeze out every drop of performance

Taking all foam or layer on headphones doesnt mean they perform better ... Take.off the foam from HD6 series or HD8 and its a disaster... I dont know about Sundaras but personally with all these quality problems i wouldnt risk it... Also i like their sound a lot in stock form and its easy to compare them with any other headphone. Moding all the headphones will be a problem for me to compare with others. But i get your point i also like to try new materials.

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #2,832 of 4,255
Hey guys, looking for better pads for the Sundara. Is there any crowd favourites?
Thanks!

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,833 of 4,255
Hey guys, looking for better pads for the Sundara. Is there any crowd favourites?
Thanks!

I haven't tried any other pads as I've just gotten my Sundara. But, I have done a bunch of pad research already in the case of them having low durability ($50 would be a lot to pay for something that doesn't last long). Absolutely the first alternative I'd try is the Dekoni hybrid. The foam/leather looks like it could be higher quality, while the graphs look very close. Wouldn't want to modify the sound signature, but would take a slightly better seal if possible.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #2,834 of 4,255
I haven't tried any other pads as I've just gotten my Sundara. But, I have done a bunch of pad research already in the case of them having low durability ($50 would be a lot to pay for something that doesn't last long). Absolutely the first alternative I'd try is the Dekoni hybrid. The foam/leather looks like it could be higher quality, while the graphs look very close. Wouldn't want to modify the sound signature, but would take a slightly better seal if possible.
Same, I read the Dekoni hybrids are good but expensive ofcourse. Some one reccomended ZMF ovals as well. If am spending that much, I'd rather spend it on the right stuff (obviously with out changing much of the stock sound especially the speed..love the speed of these for metal)

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,835 of 4,255
Same, I read the Dekoni hybrids are good but expensive ofcourse. Some one reccomended ZMF ovals as well. If am spending that much, I'd rather spend it on the right stuff (obviously with out changing much of the stock sound especially the speed..love the speed of these for metal)

Definitely expensive, especially if you order directly through the Dekoni store. But I definitely would for my first purchase to have a no hassle return if I didn't like them. The ZMF pads of course don't have this option, which could be more costly if they just sit unused. On Amazon the dekoni are $10 cheaper, so not too bad? The ability to return makes it a no brainer for a first pad replacement though.

The thrifty side of me is also curious about the chinese knockoff focus pads on Ebay (which are thicker than the originals and closer to the palipads). They retain the hybrid style and are very cheap, assuming they have decent materials?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back