HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #23,296 of 26,386
None. In fact, I have not even seen the Susvara.

I don't understand why are you on this thread if you've never heard it? Making absolute assumptions about Susvara is a fallacy.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #23,298 of 26,386
Jan 10, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #23,299 of 26,386
FWIW I am very happy with AHB2 and use it with tube amp (Woo WA22) and SS amp (Ifi iCan), both as pre-amps. I am very happy in each configuartion. I tube pre-amp for jazzier tunes and my precious 1970's soul music.
@BillinSF how well do you find that the AHB2 transmits the staging information from the WA-22? Also do you use pre-puts on the back of WA-22 or the HP 3-pin outs from the front?

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #23,300 of 26,386
None. In fact, I have not even seen the Susvara.
If you ever find yourself near the Oregon Coast, let me know. I'll gladly give you a chance to see and (more importantly) hear them.

It's just possible that you find it an edifying experience...

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #23,301 of 26,386
@BillinSF how well do you find that the AHB2 transmits the staging information from the WA-22? Also do you use pre-puts on the back of WA-22 or the HP 3-pin outs from the front?
My WA22 does not have pre-outs, so I use the XLR outs on the front. If I understand your question re "staging info" let me answer this way. WA22 won't drive Sus well at all. So, to compare WA22 on its own vs. through AHB2, I use Senn HD800S HPs. The tonality/staging in all respects is the same - AHB2 is indeed transparent.

My only issue with AHB2, and its not a complaint, is that its very neutral. Warmth would be nice. If I had a ton of dough I'd look at 300B tube amps.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #23,302 of 26,386
My WA22 does not have pre-outs, so I use the XLR outs on the front. If I understand your question re "staging info" let me answer this way. WA22 won't drive Sus well at all. So, to compare WA22 on its own vs. through AHB2, I use Senn HD800S HPs. The tonality/staging in all respects is the same - AHB2 is indeed transparent.

My only issue with AHB2, and its not a complaint, is that its very neutral. Warmth would be nice. If I had a ton of dough I'd look at 300B tube amps.
Yes you understood me exactly- thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #23,303 of 26,386
I'm more in the latter category that it's an AHB2 synergy issue. IEM speaker amps are a lot more sensitive to upstream components than headphone amps and tube amps are the most sensitive of them all. If WA-22 sounds thin with AHB2, keep rolling them tubes to bring the balance back and what you should get is overall drive in every sound category (soundstage, vocal presence, imaging, air and lastly, slamming like a freight train)

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #23,304 of 26,386
I have owned 2 susvara's and have just recently come to appreciate how truly spectacular this HP is...I first realized when I got a bakoon 13r and the moved on to the CFA3 which gives the susvara a muscular sound I had never hear...now with my newly acquired Felks envy with upgraded tubes I fully appreciate how special this HP is,in fact I marvel as I listen many times...yes it is a great HP even with lesser equipment but with the right combination of source and amp it simply gets better and better...I am not sure how much better it can get but who knows it just keeps getting better

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #23,305 of 26,386
I have owned 2 susvara's and have just recently come to appreciate how truly spectacular this HP is...I first realized when I got a bakoon 13r and the moved on to the CFA3 which gives the susvara a muscular sound I had never hear...now with my newly acquired Felks envy with upgraded tubes I fully appreciate how special this HP is,in fact I marvel as I listen many times...yes it is a great HP even with lesser equipment but with the right combination of source and amp it simply gets better and better...I am not sure how much better it can get but who knows it just keeps getting better

EF1000 next year? or the Riviera? Don't forget how crazy sensitive Susvara is with DACs as well. Switching from DAVE/Mscaler to a TotalDAC d1 unity would also bring about a completely different Susvara experience :)

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #23,306 of 26,386
Bought a preowned CH Precision X1 to hook up to my CH Precision P1 just before Xmas and finally got it connected up last Friday evening.

WOW..... My analogue source to my EF1000 & Susvara combo is now just unbelievable !

I was apprehensive at first in buying the CH X1 (even pre-owned its a lot of money for me) to go with my CH P1 as I was unsure if I would hear any difference with it through my EF1000 & Susvara combo.

Boy, was I soooo wrong.... What is incredible to me (my ears) is my EF1000 & Susvara combo just keeps upscaling in sound quality as I continue to upgrade my source inputs step by step !

Damn...This hobby is truly sooo addictive....(and a big pain on your wallet and bank balance) to keep climbing upwards along the path of music nirvana !

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #23,307 of 26,386
I am happy with my dave....I have heard the EF1000 years ago with the susvara I do not remember it as good as my envy at the moment but of course that was years ago...I know there is always better but the law of diminishing returns has to set in at some point my aging ears will not be able to distinguish lol..for the record I am NOT suggesting the envy is better than the EF1000...only that we are getting to the point or I am where it is subjective preference more than better..

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #23,308 of 26,386
EF1000 next year? or the Riviera? Don't forget how crazy sensitive Susvara is with DACs as well. Switching from DAVE/Mscaler to a TotalDAC d1 unity would also bring about a completely different Susvara experience :)
I decided to go for the envy when a deal presented itself that I considered too good to pass up...the price of some of these other amps or DAC's at retail is kind of beyond my budget at this time!

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #23,309 of 26,386
After chasing and upgrading my system over the last two years of owning Susvara, and trying iirc 15 amps, I'm at a point where I feel I heard everything I needed to hear, owned and tried everything that was interesting for me to try, and can now live happily with the Mass Kobo 465 as my daily driver amp for Susvara (full chain in my signature, used with DHC Chimera interconnects and headphone cable). In numbers 2-3 as my next selections would be Riviera AIC10 (just sold mine last week) and Woo Audio WA23. These three amps to me beat all the regular other contenders for top spot. I'm at peace and hifi endgame for Susvara. I can now turn my gear addiction and optimization to a tube amp for my other headphones and continuing upgrading my 2ch, analog, and digital source gear.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #23,310 of 26,386
Hardly. Acoustical transducers - no matter how high end - will inevitably be the bottleneck in any system. I understand the idea of 'scalability' makes many enthusiasts feel better about their chosen headphones (it is related to the 'amp-upmanship' mentioned earlier in the thread). However, the sad truth is that even the best headphones reproduce the source signal rather poorly compared with the electronics of the system.
Troll. Why? It’s just rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back