High-end audiophile portable amplification, what to do?
Apr 30, 2006 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
I think when I'm come back from vacation/conference I'm going to pick up the E500's. Great, but now what? Ideally I would like a portable amp/dac solution that runs on battery and sounds superb. I suppose the likely contenders are:
  1. HeadRoom MicroStack
  2. RSA Hornet
  3. Rudistor NKK-01se
  4. HeadAmp AE-1
  5. Larocco Audio PRII

What to do?! I've heard the Hornet (I believe I was privy to hear it when it was in preproduction at the Philly/SE meet) and its a great little amp, no doubt.

Tyll's MicroStack is a great solution but I don't like the fact that its two discrete units. On one hand, probably better sound and I can resuse components. On the other, its a lot to lug around (maybe not).

Then there are three I have not heard, the Rudistor, HeadAmp., and Larocco. The Rudistor seems like a "high-end" solution but I haven't heard it (I just didn't think about going to the Rudistor table at the Nationals....ugggh) and I don't think there return policy is long enough for me to risk it (30 days yes, 7 not enough). Any takers on this one? Does anyone own the NKK-01se? How do you like it? In markl fashion, can I borrow it?
k1000smile.gif

Finally, I know nothing about the PRII and AE-1. I hear lots of wonderful things about the PRII and I love its construction. Again, is anyone using these units with their IEMs?

Anyway, I'm totally confused....I vote for a HeadFi Fry's/CompUSA...off the top of my head, I think the Rudistor, PRII, and Hornet are probably tops on my list. I really do like the Microstack the most since its upgradeable, its HeadRoom, and the internals of it are well known and proven (Tyll is a great guy who has always been open about his designs).

Ugggh..........

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
I think when I'm come back from vacation/conference I'm going to pick up the E500's. Great, but now what? Ideally I would like a portable amp/dac solution that runs on battery and sounds superb. I suppose the likely contenders are:
  1. HeadRoom MicroStack
  2. RSA Hornet
  3. Rudistor NKK-01se
  4. HeadAmp AE-1
  5. Larocco Audio PRII

What to do?! I've heard the Hornet (I believe I was privy to hear it when it was in preproduction at the Philly/SE meet) and its a great little amp, no doubt.

Tyll's MicroStack is a great solution but I don't like the fact that its two discrete units. On one hand, probably better sound and I can resuse components. On the other, its a lot to lug around (maybe not).

Then there are three I have not heard, the Rudistor, HeadAmp., and Larocco. The Rudistor seems like a "high-end" solution but I haven't heard it (I just didn't think about going to the Rudistor table at the Nationals....ugggh) and I don't think there return policy is long enough for me to risk it (30 days yes, 7 not enough). Any takers on this one? Does anyone own the NKK-01se? How do you like it? In markl fashion, can I borrow it?
k1000smile.gif

Finally, I know nothing about the PRII and AE-1. I hear lots of wonderful things about the PRII and I love its construction. Again, is anyone using these units with their IEMs?

Anyway, I'm totally confused....I vote for a HeadFi Fry's/CompUSA...off the top of my head, I think the Rudistor, PRII, and Hornet are probably tops on my list. I really do like the Microstack the most since its upgradeable, its HeadRoom, and the internals of it are well known and proven (Tyll is a great guy who has always been open about his designs).

Ugggh..........

Consider just the Micro Amp. None of your other options include a DAC, so why must it include the entire Micro stack? For IEM's, the new module revision is a huge upgrade with hugely increased drive potential for low impedence headphones. If you do get the stack, the nice part is that HeadRoom of course makes bags to perfectly fit and work with such a setup, so you have that as your ally in terms of 'lugging' it around.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Consider just the Micro Amp. None of your other options include a DAC, so why must it include the entire Micro stack? For IEM's, the new module revision is a huge upgrade with hugely increased drive potential for low impedence headphones. If you do get the stack, the nice part is that HeadRoom of course makes bags to perfectly fit and work with such a setup, so you have that as your ally in terms of 'lugging' it around.

<snip>
rs1smile.gif

Yeah dude, I really like the Microstack. FYI, the NKK-01se is a DAC/AMP combo but a little pricey IMO (though Rudi makes nice stuff). I actually thought about lugging around my Apogee but it odesn't work on batteries so thats a no go (plus its amp section isn't that spectacular combared to the other options).

Damn, I could order the E500 and stack with Tyll and tell him i may return the stack depending...

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Regarding LaRocco's amps... he has a portable headcode in the works if you can stomach the long wait
very_evil_smiley.gif

WHAT!? That sounds awesome...when is that due?

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

WHAT!? That sounds awesome...when is that due?

I could make up dates for that but that is all they will be
wink.gif

The PRII and Micro amps are both very nice amps... the PRII is a bit darker and fuller then the Mirco amp. If it were me I would go with the Micro amp if you are going to be using IEMs so you can utalize the much needed crossfeed. I now have a PINT and absolutely love the thing. It is cheaper then both but heck I like it just as much as the PRII and Microamp ive owned.

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 53
Honestly, I think the PINT is sort of proof that you don't need to spend 'high-end' prices to get a 'high-end' portable sound. IMHO the hybrid config I did on one of my PINTs (which I've mentioned in other threads) has a more high-end sound for the PINT (though at the sacrifice of a bit of detail forwardness and snap/verve/aggression), so you can push the PINT even further!
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 53
I have heard The Hornet and the SR-71. I preferred the SR-71 hands down. Then I compared the SR-71 vs. the AE-1, tough call either one will make you happy. I should point out that the AE-1 will be getting a face lift shortly (?) and should sound significantly better.

Finally, and to me the best is the SuperMacro III Version 6 (although the current version of the AE-1 is very close). You can roll amps, has a bass boost, and XinFeed. Good luck.

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
If it were me I would go with the Micro amp if you are going to be using IEMs so you can utalize the much needed crossfeed. I now have a PINT and absolutely love the thing.

I tried today using the crossfeed plugin on foobar with my E4c, i couldn't hear a difference personally
confused.gif

And what about the Portaphile V2^2 maxed? I think some people here have given it favourably reviews, plus the price is good.

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 53
I'm not a big crossfeed fan since I think it defeats the whole purpose of the recording and 2-channel reproduction to begin with...but to each his own...

Hmmm, the Microstack....damn it...I just don't know. I need to hear the PRII as well though that doesn't come with a DAC.

I heard the E500's amp (SFT Audio M3/Apogee) and through my notebook. You would not believe the difference in low-end extension as well as a smoother mid-range when connected via the Apogee DAC (probably the most valueable component in the chain - though the M3 is no slouch). My notebook (Thinkpad R51) DAC bites the big one - I mean really bad (I'm spoiled at home).

Any NKK-01se fans? That's a portable all-in-one unit.

More impressions and feedback would be appreciated...

May 1, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

I'm not a big crossfeed fan since I think it defeats the whole purpose of the recording and 2-channel reproduction to begin with...but to each his own...

Hmmm, the Microstack....damn it...I just don't know. I need to hear the PRII as well though that doesn't come with a DAC.

I heard the E500's amp (SFT Audio M3/Apogee) and through my notebook. You would not believe the difference in low-end extension as well as a smoother mid-range when connected via the Apogee DAC (probably the most valueable component in the chain - though the M3 is no slouch). My notebook (Thinkpad R51) DAC bites the big one - I mean really bad (I'm spoiled at home).

Any NKK-01se fans? That's a portable all-in-one unit.

More impressions and feedback would be appreciated...

You aren't saying that crossfeed converts stero to mono are you? Because crossfeed mixes the channels with a slight delay so as to mimic stero speakers; tis different than stereo to mono conversion.

May 1, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
You aren't saying that crossfeed converts stero to mono are you? Because crossfeed mixes the channels with a slight delay so as to mimic stero speakers; tis different than stereo to mono conversion.

Crossfeed doesn't mix the music coming out of the two channels to mimic stereo, it mixes the two channels so you don't have one instrument playing out of one ear and another out of your other ear, so essentially it is mixing it into mono, since the same sound is coming out of both sides.

May 1, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 53
I owned the Micro Stack for a good while and have the PR II. I've compared the Micro Stack, AE-1, Hornet and PRII and the PRII is the most neutral, accurate amp of the bunch, IMO, and in the opinion of a couple others with some experience, under meet conditions. YMMV, of course.

As mentioned previously, you don't need to carry both the Micro Amp and Micro DAC, so you should probably just consider the Micro Amp. Although the Headroom Bigger Gigabag or whatever it's called can hold your stack and player pretty compactly.

At the Nat, I listened to the e500 both straight out of the iPod, through the Hornet, and through my own rig. Honestly, I would have to say, in that brief span of time, I was most impressed with the e500 from the Hornet. I can't really put into words the differences between the PRII and the Hornet, but I can say that the e500 really came alive with the Hornet as compared to straight from the iPod. If I were putting together a strictly portable rig with the e500 I would definitely recommend the Hornet. It drives the e500 very well and has all the features and build quality of a portable amp you could ever want.

May 1, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Crossfeed doesn't mix the music coming out of the two channels to mimic stereo, it mixes the two channels so you don't have one instrument playing out of one ear and another out of your other ear, so essentially it is mixing it into mono, since the same sound is coming out of both sides.

Please do your research. There is a plethora of crossfeed threads floating around, many with very accurate information.

Quote:

Ahhh, our resident HeadRoom fanboy!

Who's calling me a fanboy?
very_evil_smiley.gif
I try to tow the line between supporting my fav. manufacturer and leaving room for all the other great products out there (I still think that an M^3 STEPS w/OPA637/627 is the best sounding amp in that price range). Anyway, I'm pushing harder than usual at the moment for the HeadRoom stuff simply because of the new module revision that most head-fi'ers haven't actually heard. Almost all other impressions on the sound of the micro amp are based on the '05 revision, and to my ears there are significant differences in '06 that are worth considering. I also see that many head-fi'ers are somewhat reluctant to buy a HeadRoom product that they are unsure about, even with the 30 day guarantee. Somehow they feel they would be 'abusing' it. I say go ahead and abuse it! Even with my 'fanboy' status, I returned the first amp I ever bought new from HeadRoom, a Desktop Portable w/DAC and Home Module (not cheap!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back