High-end audiophile portable amplification, what to do?
May 2, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #46 of 53
sorry, haven't heard the earlier version of ae-1

May 2, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #47 of 53
I would agree the Hornet is one of the most valuable amps for portable applications, the amp is tiny in size and one of the least obtrusive amps I have ever seen for portable applications.

Its a marvel of an amp in its purpose.
its tiny, built like tank, has gain switches, and has punchy romantic sound for on the go listening.

its the smallest portable amp Ive come across that still looks like its a highly professional product. Its disntinct and unique in its look.

The micro stack is also an excellent contendor in the portable amp market. I also greatly enjoy the sound it provides and once again, the package of this amplifier is also unique and distinct. it not only has gain switches but has "crossfeed!!!!!!!"
biggrin.gif
, the trade off is battery consumption depending on what module you are using and size.

Ive been eyeing a small portable usb amp for my laptop that is smaller than the microstack, the total bit head might be something you may want to look into also. I have yet to hear one, but this amp is one of my top contendors for portable laptop fi in a market that has very little competition.

May 3, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Crossfeed doesn't mix the music coming out of the two channels to mimic stereo, it mixes the two channels so you don't have one instrument playing out of one ear and another out of your other ear, so essentially it is mixing it into mono, since the same sound is coming out of both sides.

You guys obviously do not understand crossfeed. You should refrain from commenting on its theory and operation until you do.

May 3, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist
As far as the sr-71 vs. the new ae-1, I beleive there is a good review of the ae-1 in the sticky for amps. The reviewer compares it to the sr-71 and the overall conclusion is that the ae-1 is much better in his opinion.

I would take any post that said that one was much better than the other with a big chunk of salt. The Hornet, SR-71 and AE-1 are all in roughly the same territory in my opinion with the older version of the Micro Amp in the same ballpark. (Also probably close, Xin's work and the PRII). Personally I think the SR-71 is my personal favorite but I like all of them and sometimes I reach for one of them and sometimes I reach for another one. And they are all different sonically so what appeals to one person might not appeal to all. To my mind the biggest differences are in the features they offer since they all offer unique tweaks which may suit your needs better.

May 3, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
You could also consider the RSA XP-7. It's a little pricey though

If you think the PRII is big you should see the XP-7. It's like 4 times the size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back