Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 835
Wonder how the thing perfomance vs may and spring considering its a newer design.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #17 of 835
One simple question, how to turn the unit off considering you have stacked it with other equipment and you really don't want to or it's almost impossible to reach to the back of the unit. :thinking:
there are compromises made deliberately, to keep the cost low

no front buttons or remote is such

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 835
there are compromises made deliberately, to keep the cost low

no front buttons or remote is such
I understand, but I would love to pay 100$ for one additional button on front.
Long press toggle on/off
Single press input switch

It's really not a rocket science, as much as I understand keeping low cost I cannot understand such compromises...

I was seriously considering buying one, but I don't know, I mean it's not big issue after all but still bad taste lasts. :/

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 835
Wonder how the thing perfomance vs may and spring considering its a newer design.
If it gets close to the Spring 3's performance that would be pretty amazing and it would probably be my next upgrade. I really like the form factor and its simplicity since I don't need a DAC with a bunch of features.

The Cyan 2 paired with the Ferrum OOR + Hypsos seems like it would be a pretty great endgame-level small footprint desktop SS setup for me. But what would be perfect is if Holo eventually releases an amp that's the same size as the Cyan 2 :fingers_crossed:

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #20 of 835
If it gets close to the Spring 3's performance that would be pretty amazing and it would probably be my next upgrade. I really like the form factor and its simplicity since I don't need a DAC with a bunch of features.
I would love to know how it stacks up against the other non-tubed R2R DACs in it price range: Audio-GD R1NOS; Merason Frerot; Soekris 2541; Musician Pegasus; Denafrips Aries 12th-1... Did I miss any?

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 835
I would love to know how it stacks up against the other non-tubed R2R DACs in it price range: Audio-GD R1NOS; Merason Frerot; Soekris 2541; Musician Pegasus; Denafrips Aries 12th-1... Did I miss any?
The Gustard R26 is a bit more at $1649 retail, but I'd like to see how it compares as well.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 835
Mhdt Orchid would be right at this price range too. Of course there's the Bifrost 2 for a bit cheaper and probably a used Gustard R26 could be bought for around this price.

Also is the Merason Frerot R2R?

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 835
Mhdt Orchid would be right at this price range too. Of course there's the Bifrost 2 for a bit cheaper and probably a used Gustard R26 could be bought for around this price.

Also is the Merason Frerot R2R?
I thought it was, but went and looked... "the Frerot is a non-oversampling, discreet circuitry DAC that incorporates a single Texas Instruments (formerly Burr Brown) 1794A DAC chip." It has also creeped up to $1,650 (without the optional LPS), so not a head-to-head competitor after all.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #24 of 835
I understand, but I would love to pay 100$ for one additional button on front.
Long press toggle on/off
Single press input switch

It's really not a rocket science, as much as I understand keeping low cost I cannot understand such compromises...

I was seriously considering buying one, but I don't know, I mean it's not big issue after all but still bad taste lasts. :/
I agree

Especially since power consumption is listed at 20W. My RME ADI-2 consumes about 5W, although uses SMPS

But they made a lot of choices to bring overall price lowest possible

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #25 of 835
If the Bifrost 2 was included, that would be the perfect comparison to me 👍

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #26 of 835
interested in the new DAC from Holo, but so far there are no reviews of it.

New Record Day in his latest stream around the 42 minute mark mentioned his first impression about the Cyan 2, he is impressed ! and thinks that Holo knocked it out of the park with this one!

Also, I asked Wildism Audio (Asia distributor) about it, and they said "high Cost to Performance value in this price range, same character as Spring3 and May"

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #29 of 835
Hopefully there'll be some reviews comparing it to the Ares 12th. I'd be especially interested in how they compare when it comes to staging/holography

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #30 of 835
Just placed my order today, but no idea when it's expected to come in yet. Hopefully soon. Unfortunately, I've never really heard any other R2R dacs to compare so I won't be able to do that, but I've had an RME ADI-2 for the past few years so this should be an interesting change for me and I'll certainly report on my impressions as soon as it gets in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back