how loud is 90db???
Oct 3, 2007 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
i ask this question because i pulled my psp earphones out of the box today and there was a tag on them saying 90db max, i plugged them into my 5.5g ipod and couldnt hear a thing, so i turned the volume all the way up and i was astonished at how quiet these earphones were.

im used to listening mainly to shures se530 and ultimate ears 10 pro's and they are obviously no contest for those high end iem's but can anybody confirm the psp earphones are topping out at 90db and that volume is 90db because i am absolutely amazed at the low volume they produce and infact its scary because the other iem's i use would appear twice as loud at half the volume used.

or is it the fact i used an ipod to test them with?? i have not yet tried my psp because i dont use it for music or anything really

thanks all for any responses, i think it is important for people to realise exactly how loud 90db is, if the psp earphones are indeed topping at 90db i should be deaf by now

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 46
I know that standing beside a roaring jet engine gives you a 110 dB....
eek.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 46
2db over where hearing damage begins according to audiologist:wink:

My gues is they are built with a safety zone already in place so you don't damage you hearing! Guess I could do some research Jinx to give you a real answer:-0

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 46
cheers guys, i was just instantly suprised at the lack of volume at full volume on a unrestricted ipod, it kinda worried me that if that volume was 90db i am using other earphones wayyyy toooo loud

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 46
90dBs is quite loud. I'd love to know what I listen at.

Whats it called, sort of a group buy I guess. When a sound meter is bought by a group and it gets sent to everyone?

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 46
A smoke alarm is 100db if that gives you any reference.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 46
i think the rockbox reading refers to line level. i.e. 6db louder then a line output.

90db is pretty loud, your ears would hurt/ring after listening at that volume for a few minutes, and you'd probably get a headache
tongue.gif
The max i listen at is 70db (tested with SPL meter). Any higher then that is fatiguing. 55db is a 'normal' listening volume in a quiet room imo.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
90db is pretty loud, your ears would hurt/ring after listening at that volume for a few minutes, and you'd probably get a headache
tongue.gif

90 dB is loud, but it's not that loud. It's well below the threshold of pain, although long term exposure (i.e., more than a few hours) will cause lasting hearing damage, I doubt being exposed to 90 dB noise levels is going to cause most people headaches or ringing ears. If it happens to you, then I'd hazard a guess that you're more sensitive to noise levels than most.

I've worked in some very noisy areas, and I can tell you that 90 dB really isn't that big of a deal, even without hearing protection - as long as you don't stay there too long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back