how loud is 90db???
Oct 3, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 46
I don't think that if there is a mention of 90DB on the headphone box it automatically mean that when your ipod is full out you are getting 90DB. Ipod can be really loud with some lower impedance headphones while being mice quiet with high impedances once.

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that if there is a mention of 90DB on the headphone box it automatically mean that when your ipod is full out you are getting 90DB. Ipod can be really loud with some lower impedance headphones while being mice quiet with high impedances once.

its true what you say,i may well not be gettin 90db, but did you know that an unrestricted ipod can indeed reach levels of 115db. which makes me wonder...if im playin the ipod full out why are they so quiet, yet rated 90db earphones.

i mean my favourite se530 are rated at 119db/mw and at full volume they are staggering, but these 90db heap of rubbish are sooo sooo much quieter, and im just stunned because if they are reaching 90db and its that quiet its fairly worrying
icon10.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 46
also remember i am going on about the psp earphones so the impedance should not be high or low really but about average, im not sure what they are but they should be 16 ohm or 32 ohm

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 46
It depends on the headphones. The headphones may reach 90 dB on the psp, but not on the ipod, while more sensitive headphones will exceed 90dB on the ipod.
80 dB is when you have to raise your voice.
Opening a soda can is 85 dB.
I think the level at which many people listen to music is far to loud.

Also note that the decibel scale is logaramithic.

so 90dB is infact a LOT less than 100dB.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #20 of 46
So as I was looking at this info, I saw info about rock concerts being 110 dB. Why assault hearing? I am taking my kids to a concert this weekend and I know that they have more sensitive hearing than me - I am getting them earplugs.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by underclocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So as I was looking at this info, I saw info about rock concerts being 110 dB. Why assault hearing? I am taking my kids to a concert this weekend and I know that they have more sensitive hearing than me - I am getting them earplugs.

yeh it is a fact that rock concerts are very loud, i would advise earplugs from etymotic research you may be very impressed with them, some people will think you look a plonka but you will walk out with better hearing than them on that night
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 46
wear earplugs to concerts. Always. If they're too much and you can't hear, you can take them out. No one on stage will be there without earplugs, and the speakers aren't facing them, as a rule.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 46
The boss at a pub I used to work in slated me for having ear-plugs.

Well not exactly slated, more like 'You only need ear-plugs if your playing with a full guitar stack'. Sarcastic person.

When it comes to your hearing you can't be too careful, Etymotic do some musician earplugs called ER-20 if you ever want to attenuate noise without colouring it.

Realistically though, if you are infact worrying about your hearing, chances are your not ruining it. It's those idiots who you can hear 5 seats away on the bus that are.

Plonka is british slang for 'idiot'.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you dumb? 100db is 10 times as loud as 90db, think of 90db as a trailer truck coming over at 100km.hr from 10 meters away, thats pretty loud

Right, 10dB means 10 times the power, but perceived difference is maybe about twice (or half if going down) as loud.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, 10dB means 10 times the power, but perceived difference is maybe about twice (or half if going down) as loud.

Are you sure it's not 6db or 12db is equal to a doubling of volume? I'm sure they usually have controls on mixing desks in multiples of 6.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would wearing normal IEMs be okay?

For a concert. They'd certainly block out half the sound, but it would be good sound they would block.

If you have no other option sure, but they would totally muffle the performance. Musicians earplugs are designed specifically to prevent noise-related hearing loss and still allow you to monitor the music. They are the best option if you can find some in time.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by underclocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A plonka? I did a google image search. Do you mean like this?
plonka(1).jpg

no i didnt mean like that, i apologise, its a very english term meaning pretty much what the bloke below is saying, it usually means you look a bit silly

Quote:

Originally Posted by mash440 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The boss at a pub I used to work in slated me for having ear-plugs.

Well not exactly slated, more like 'You only need ear-plugs if your playing with a full guitar stack'. Sarcastic person.

When it comes to your hearing you can't be too careful, Etymotic do some musician earplugs called ER-20 if you ever want to attenuate noise without colouring it.

Realistically though, if you are infact worrying about your hearing, chances are your not ruining it. It's those idiots who you can hear 5 seats away on the bus that are.

Plonka is british slang for 'idiot'.

yeh i didnt mean you look like a plonka, i meant you may be seen as one but like you...i said its the others that dont take that care that are plonkas lol

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mash440 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it's not 6db or 12db is equal to a doubling of volume? I'm sure they usually have controls on mixing desks in multiples of 6.

6dB is the difference is the signal level is doubled. That means that power is quadrupled.

If you double the power, the increase is 3dB and the signal level increases by sqrt(2).

The perceived difference is a bit subjective though, but I always use 10dB as double as loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back