HP-1000 owners: Which pads are you using?
Jul 14, 2003 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Just curious as to which pads the HP1000 owners are using on their HP 1 or 2 or 3. The general consensus is that the HP series is much more neutral and better sounding than the RS-1, but I was wondering if this claim is with the bowl pads or the original flat donut pads.

I have built something (using original SR200 guts and SR325 air chambers) that probably sounds of similar character to the HP-2, but I am getting two different headphone sounds, depending on whether I use the flats or bowls.

Jul 14, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 18
I am using the vwap modded senn pads on my hp1s And rs1s
I find them more comfortable then the flat pads which I also have,and don't give up much in sound quality.
Don't like the bowl pads.
The hp series phones are more neutral sounding over the rs1s
no matter what pads you use.

Jul 14, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 18
I'm using original flats. I don't have comfort issues, and sonically they're the best I've heard. I'm going to try the vwap pads at some point, as my own modded Senn pads made a huge difference in the RS-1, but not the HP-1. Still, even in the RS-1, the flats gave the sound a "rightness" I hadn't heard out of that headphone.

Jul 14, 2003 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm currently using bowl pads -- I love the sound (since I haven't heard flats recently or modded Senns) and I have no comfort issues until I've listened for about two-plus hours straight.

Jul 14, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
The hp series phones are more neutral sounding over the rs1s
no matter what pads you use.

That is very very true.

I use the original flats. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 pairs, one for the RS-1's and one for the HP-1's. I have 2 pairs of Vwap specials as backup.

The flats are the best in my honest opinion. Although the modded Senns are close, the foam is softer and I find the flats more durable because of this.

Jul 14, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 18
i have a pair of flats for my hp-1, and an extra pair in storage for the future. these too are my favorites, and i think using bowl pads on any headphone is a horrible, horrible deed.

my sr-200's use my own dyed/modded senns, since i sometimes wear those outside and beat them up a little bit more than my sacred hp-1's.

p.s. i find the whole hp-2 and hp-3 phenomenon interesting. i'm willing to bet there are at least a few head-fiers that own hp-3's and just don't realize it since there are no discernible differences between the hp-2 and hp-3, other than the sound. anybody else think that?

Jul 14, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 18
It seems possible, Grinch. I'd guess those who bought their headphones without the original box are the only one's who'd qualify to be in this category, though.

I'll try to get my hands on some vwap-modded Senn pads for my HP-2 one of these days.

Jul 14, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch;
I'm using original flats. I don't have comfort issues, and sonically they're the best I've heard. I'm going to try the vwap pads at some point, as my own modded Senn pads made a huge difference in the RS-1, but not the HP-1. Still, even in the RS-1, the flats gave the sound a "rightness" I hadn't heard out of that headphone.

Exactly the same here. When I first got my HP-1s they had the bowl pads on them. I listened to them for a few days and was disappointed. But, they came with a pair of original flats so, in spite of the fact that they looked uncomfortable, I put them on. The disappointment was over and I started my search for a pair of back up originals. I found a pair, put them in a airtight sealed container, and promptly lost them somewhere here in my house.
rolleyes.gif

I bought a few pairs of Vwap modded Senn pads and put one on my Allesandro/Grado MS Pros. I much prefer the musicality and the depth of the sound with the Vwap pads on the Pros then the bowl pads.

Jul 14, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 18
i use bowl pads right now but i have 2 spare flat pads - one really a bit worn and 1 pair a lil new.

Jul 14, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 18
I voted for "others," because I prefer my washed and squashed bowl pads. I do have the modded Senns and an original pair of flats, but I find the squashed bowls give a nice compromise between the warmth of the flats and the tendency toward shrillness of the bowls.

Jul 14, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 18
You mean no one uses comfies with the HP-1k?
-Mag

Jul 15, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 18
I use the vwap-modded Senn pads on my HP-2s. I've never tried the bowl pads.

Jul 15, 2003 at 11:59 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks people. Using both pads has made me realize how neutral the old Joe Grado drivers are. With bowl pads, you really only get a hint of the bottom end, yet with the flat pads the bass is not boosted above the rest of the range. The bowls open up the soundstage and top end a bit, but do not get overly bright either. So it would seem the older drivers were designed for flat pads, the current ones for the bowl pads.

Jul 15, 2003 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
The bowls open up the soundstage and top end a bit, but do not get overly bright either. So it would seem the older drivers were designed for flat pads, the current ones for the bowl pads.

Unless my RS-1 drivers are different than the newer RS-1's I have to say to my ears the RS-1's for sure...require the flats. The "opening" of the top end kills my ears as I already think the RS-1's are forward enough, opening it up makes it far too strident at times for enjoyable listening. The soundstage is nice though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 18
For now, I've got a pair of modded Sennheiser HD-414's on there... But once I get these squished bowls perfected, I'm gonna do some listening with those, flats, and bowls... and perhaps my yellowed comfies (which.. at one point.. were black
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back