HP-1000 owners: Which pads are you using?
Jul 15, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Unless my RS-1 drivers are different than the newer RS-1's I have to say to my ears the RS-1's for sure...require the flats. The "opening" of the top end kills my ears as I already think the RS-1's are forward enough, opening it up makes it far too strident at times for enjoyable listening. The soundstage is nice though
smily_headphones1.gif

In re-reading my previous post, I see it does not make a whole lot of sense.

I find the current drivers have more bass and treble than the ones on the SR200. Therefore, it would indeed be erroneous to post that the current drivers are designed for the flat pads. This would be half right/half wrong. The excess bass (in comparison to the HP-1/ SR200 drivers) would be reduced with the bowl pads, but the extra treble would be exacerbated by the bowls.

This SR200/325 concoction is the most neutral Grado I've heard outside of the HP-1. The balance is just right. Sounds just a wee bit dull in the treble compared to the HD580 and HD600, but has a better overall balance and musicality.

May 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #17 of 18
The HP 1000 (probably HP3) has been my primary phone for close to 2 decades and I haven't heard any of the new phones on the market.  After getting the HPs I was satisfied. I bought them on eBay with most of the lettering worn and one of the cords pulled showing the wires.  They have the JGS Ultra Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable and are in the same condition now as when I bought them.  I should probably open them up and secure the cable (maybe even do some modifications), but I have just been careful with them.  I amplify them with a Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 with some very good tubes, but which I can't remember.  I have a stash and they were the ones I chose through listening tests. The X-Cans have no other modifications.

I found the sound with the original pads just spectacular but the frequency response was anything but flat.  It was a little bass heavy and a little light on top.  After a few years they wore out and I replaced them with some pads which I can't find anymore.  They were from an online cable store which I thought was the The Cable Company but they don't seem to carry them.  The new pads were a little thicker than the original ones and the frequency response flattened out dramatically.  The thicker foam pulled the drivers just slightly further from my ears.  After a few more years they started to disintegrate and I was on a quest for new pads, but I couldn't find these ones I liked.  I ended up getting a pair of G Cushion pads (called Jumbo Pads on TTVJ) from Grado and they sounded tinny because the drivers were too far from my ear. Because they were carved out in the center I was able to put them on upside down.  This made them about 1/4 inch (6.5 mm) thick which was just a little thicker than the elusive pad.  The sound is good and I am again happy.

May 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #18 of 18
Wow...this is an old thread you found...nice work.
You need to buy the Flat Pads from TTVJ. http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Flat_Pads_p/aat0000100.htm
These are as close to the original pads as you will find without dealing with Joe direct.
Enjoy!
I ended up getting a pair of G Cushion pads (called Jumbo Pads on TTVJ) from Grado and they sounded tinny because the drivers were too far from my ear. Because they were carved out in the center I was able to put them on upside down.  This made them about 1/4 inch (6.5 mm) thick which was just a little thicker than the elusive pad.  The sound is good and I am again happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back