HTC 11 (aka HTC U 11)
Apr 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #151 of 501
No I'd be running things. You'd be the head honcho over the design dept though. lol

Yeah, your ideas are ALL better than theirs. Both they and Sony (which are my top 2 faves) are losing their grip on the smartphone industry, and it really sux. I can't believe SamDUNG is my last hope at great smartphone audio! LOL

Hopefully HTC realizes their mistake and brings it back next year for the 12. One can only HOPE for such small miracles to occur lol.................

How about LG they have good audio for their Asia consumers :X and then samdog is just tuning by akg same as sony tune by their own team, a using th snapdragon 835. Wonder why sony don't throw in a DAC

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #152 of 501
Oh that's cool. So they had TWO phones with that killer DAC. Nice. lol

So what's your take on Super's #139 post? Doesn't seem like we have any solid options. LG's V-series phones are about it, IF you can get past the phablet thing. Oh, and that known bootloop issue too. lol

There are no other options.
I would keep an eye on ZTE or Motorola.

But for now I'm fine with my HTC 10 and I will stay with it for some time.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #153 of 501
How about LG they have good audio for their Asia consumers :X and then samdog is just tuning by akg same as sony tune by their own team, a using th snapdragon 835. Wonder why sony don't throw in a DAC

LG decided that Europeans only want the most basic model (smallest storage, basic DAC, no wireless charging). Samsung is Exynos over here, so will probably have its own DAC in addition to the SoC but no reviews yet, though there's nothing to indicate that they have given the audio more emphasis than in previous generations. From playing in a shop I can tell you that the speaker is not impressive, but that's all I've been able to verify myself. 

As for why any manufacturer makes any decisions, the primary factor is presumably "what does this cost to add vs how much extra can we charge and do we expect it to increase sales?", or in other words "how many people really care?". There was a time when Sony pushed audio, attaching its Walkman brand to phones, but that was a long time ago. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #154 of 501
Jim, Super, etc.,

What about this?!

How do we find out if the 11 is an "Audio Device Class 3.0" device?

Also if it is, then their adapter shouldn't compromise anything, right? And of course we STILL need to confirm that the 11 will have a killer DAC as well. lol

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #155 of 501

Basically.
This is what really has happened at HTC.
After the M9 the designer of the one series (and the lead designer) left HTC completely.
HTC hired someone else who has no real experience in designs and they decided to copy apple. This is the reason for the drastic changes in HTC devices after the M9 (A9, HTC 10, HTC Bolt / Evo 10, U Ultra, etc)
Their corporate motto is now that if Apple is doing it then its fine and thats "where the market is going".

This is part of the reason I haven't been communicating with them for a while now because they got quite upset at me when I voiced my real opinion about the devices they were working on (since I did insider testing for them under NDA).

So what exactly did you say to them that p'd them off? LOL Now I'm curious. 

I got my request to confirm their DAC uses their custom-made HTC codec and NOT Aqstic when playing off Poweramp elevated from customer service to their "Special Projects Team", which is 1 level higher. A lady from that dept named Luisa (all US tech support ppl are based in Colombia FYI lol) called me and we talked back and forth over phone and e-mail. The final word from her investigation was unless the devs have something on their apps to block their custom audio codec, the 10 will use it over the Aqstic one that comes with the 820. No way for me to confirm if Poweramp does it or not cuz I'm sure if I e-mail the Poweramp dev Alex he'll have no clue what I'm talking about. Or should I e-mail him? lol 

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #156 of 501

Yeah for ASIA LG is great, but for Europe and US not so much anymore unless u like phablets. The US G6 won't even have a Quad DAC in it, CONFIRMED. lol Then there's those bootloop issues lol...............

Yeah Samdog is letting AKG (who they now own since Harman owns AKG) tune their earphones, which IS a step in the right direction, but they still need to start using DEDICATED DACs and dedicated headphone amps like HTC did on the 10, and also let AKG tune them not Samsung, PLEASE! Samsung couldn't tune a fork to save its life! LMAO

Sony used to care more about audio. My old Z3 had TWO DACs actually, and I believe they were dedicated. But as far as I can tell now they are still using dedicated DACs but they're very poorly rated with a crappy weak amp too. I don't think it's a twin DAC either. When I compared my X Performance to the $299 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, it didn't hold up, but my HTC 10 did. So both HA-2 and X Perf went bye-bye. lol

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #157 of 501
  There are no other options.
I would keep an eye on ZTE or Motorola.

But for now I'm fine with my HTC 10 and I will stay with it for some time.

Yeah I've heard good things about ZTE. But unless they have unlocked (or locked?) phones that are FULLY compatible with T-Mobile like my unlocked HTC 10 is, then I'm not biting. lol

I'm with you there, but I'd like to know that HTC is headed in the RIGHT direction audio-wise and not the wrong one like Sony has (see post #156 above and links). This is why I'm hoping for THEIR sake the 11/U/Ocean has analog over USB enabled AND another killer DAC. lol

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #158 of 501

LG decided that Europeans only want the most basic model (smallest storage, basic DAC, no wireless charging). Samsung is Exynos over here, so will probably have its own DAC in addition to the SoC but no reviews yet, though there's nothing to indicate that they have given the audio more emphasis than in previous generations. From playing in a shop I can tell you that the speaker is not impressive, but that's all I've been able to verify myself. 

As for why any manufacturer makes any decisions, the primary factor is presumably "what does this cost to add vs how much extra can we charge and do we expect it to increase sales?", or in other words "how many people really care?". There was a time when Sony pushed audio, attaching its Walkman brand to phones, but that was a long time ago. 

So you listened to the S8/S8+ and the speaker STILL sounds like complete crap like the S7's did?! lol

Yeah, once again you've hit the nail on the head. lol Quantity over quality is a crapTY business model. lol 

Yeah, as you can see in post #156 on this page, Sony has gone downhill on audio since the Z3. And yes, part of that "journey" involved the yet another IDIOTIC decision to rename the Walkman app to "Music". I'm sure it REALLY helped Walkman device sales too (NOT!). lol 

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #159 of 501
Jim, Super, etc.,

What about this?!

Also if it is, then their adapter shouldn't compromise anything, right? And of course we STILL need to confirm that the 11 will have a killer DAC as well. lol

Yeah, I know about that spec. Doubt we'll know for sure until the U is announced, but I've been assuming not simply because I've found no indication that their existing USB-audio devices are. I would of course be very pleased if this one were to support it.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #160 of 501

Yeah, I know about that spec. Doubt we'll know for sure until the U is announced, but I've been assuming not simply because I've found no indication that their existing USB-audio devices are. I would of course be very pleased if this one were to support it.

5a25745bc65230a16a2576ce708b717f_so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-dumb-and-dumber-so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-meme_405-214.jpeg

lol

I'm gonna ask HTC directly once the U is released, though I'd prefer they just ANNOUNCE it. lol (And again if the killer DAC is present lol)

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #161 of 501
Jim, Super, etc.,

What about this?!

Thats actually really interesting.
Not sure how we would find out though...

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #162 of 501

Thats actually really interesting.
Not sure how we would find out though...

Yeah akg fanboy mentioned it to me. 

Yeah, finding out is the hard part. LOL My HOPE is that they just F'ING ANNOUNCE it & KILLER DAC too. But if not, I'm going to contact their cust serv ppl via chat and have them open a case, which means then the higher up "Special Projects Team" ppl will get in contact with me like they did regarding my question on the audio codec. 

For THEIR sake, I hope they have it. But yeah as I'd told others before, I'm also PERFECTLY FINE with keeping my 10 another year if needed. lol Even if they do have both on the 11, I'm still not sure I will get it. It's a phablet, so not exactly my phone of choice, though a "minimum phablet". lol 

I couldn't find anything to confirm the U Ultra had "analog over usb", but I also don't think it had the killer DAC the 10 did either, b/c they didn't advertise it at all really like they did with the 10. On the HTC website, you only get told IN THE SPEC SECTION that the U Ultra is Hi-Res Audio Certified. They don't have a special section about it on the U Ultra like they did with the 10 where they even mentioning special tuning it. Then there's this review which seems to confirm the lack of a 24-bit audiophile DAC on the U Ultra vs. the 10.

Also, the 10 had Dolby Audio where now the U Ultra changes the name to USonic, but they both are the same thing..........measures your hearing and ears for the best custom sound for you. I assume the 11/U/Ocean will also call it USonic. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #163 of 501

Yeah akg fanboy mentioned it to me. 

Yeah, finding out is the hard part. LOL My HOPE is that they just F'ING ANNOUNCE it & KILLER DAC too. But if not, I'm going to contact their cust serv ppl via chat and have them open a case, which means then the higher up "Special Projects Team" ppl will get in contact with me like they did regarding my question on the audio codec. 

For THEIR sake, I hope they have it. But yeah as I'd told others before, I'm also PERFECTLY FINE with keeping my 10 another year if needed. lol Even if they do have both on the 11, I'm still not sure I will get it. It's a phablet, so not exactly my phone of choice, though a "minimum phablet". lol 

I couldn't find anything to confirm the U Ultra had "analog over usb", but I also don't think it had the killer DAC the 10 did either, b/c they didn't advertise it at all really like they did with the 10. On the HTC website, you only get told IN THE SPEC SECTION that the U Ultra is Hi-Res Audio Certified. They don't have a special section about it on the U Ultra like they did with the 10 where they even mentioning special tuning it. Then there's this review which seems to confirm the lack of a 24-bit audiophile DAC on the U Ultra vs. the 10.

Also, the 10 had Dolby Audio where now the U Ultra changes the name to USonic, but they both are the same thing..........measures your hearing and ears for the best custom sound for you. I assume the 11/U/Ocean will also call it USonic. 

Yea I think HTC is just slavishly copying apple these days and honestly I'm not at all following nor excited for the release of the 11/Ocean. I believe it will be a trash-tier device that I wouldn't ever own, especially since the Bolt and the U have both been terrible devices they seem to have a trend going.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #164 of 501

Yea I think HTC is just slavishly copying apple these days and honestly I'm not at all following nor excited for the release of the 11/Ocean. I believe it will be a trash-tier device that I wouldn't ever own, especially since the Bolt and the U have both been terrible devices they seem to have a trend going.

I understand, and agree to a certain point. My only hope that it will be a valid successor to the 10 is that those other phones weren't really considered "flagship" phones. Even the U Ultra fell short there. If HTC really thinks they can pull punches on the 11 like they did with the U Ultra, then they TRULY are done. Esp at the prices they charge.

The 10 was unique b/c it had outstanding audio, a reputable camera, decent to good battery life, nice looks, a great UI/menu......etc. Once you mess with those core aspects, you WILL lose fans. Just like how Sony lost me when they went cheapo on the sound of their Xperia X phones (vs. Z series) and equally if not MORE cheapo on their battery life, which was what used to REALLY make them standout even more than camera IMO. The battery life went from like best to worst by the time the X Performance (my former phone) was released last June. The audio on the Z3 was very good but then they went backwards not forwards there (unlike HTC with the 10 at least). 

Looks like Samsung's S8/S8+ STILL has crappy audio quality. lol At least they went with AKG earphones. A tiny step in the right direction, but they still need to do SOOO much more to get my respect. And at least they stopped making ugly plastic phones too. 

10 FTW!!! lol (We'll SEE about the 11) 

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #165 of 501
yeah I kept telling you man it doesnt matter what HTC does if they remove the headphone jack like apple its an absolute instant deal breaker no matter how good everything else. 

I was really looking forward to it as well. Now with HTC and LG out of the way it only leaves two companies that I care about. and that is the new Nokia flagship and Sony flagship at IFA 2017 for the 835 on the 5.2 inch phone cuz i hate tablets. 
Sony has fixed volume issues with their phones. and the Ceo sitll said that that sound quality is a priority and they will continue to improve sound quality. 

There is sitll XZP that will compete with the s8. 

Also, please don't buy the s8 man i wont talk to you again. Okay im kidding, but like don't buy samsung. new sony phone I have a feeling wont disappoint. son'y recent flagships have been a step in the right direction. Sony should have never released the X performance it was a grabage phone.

the XZ's have the fastest browsing beating the iphone 7. Thats literally unheard of the in the android market. Imagine when the premium with 835 and UFs 2.1 memory comes out. It will kill any other phone in terms of speed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back