Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,591 of 18,560
Must be one of the first owners of the M Scaler in Scandinavia. After 2 seconds listening I understood that this one is really special. There are not many upgrades which are so easy to decern after just two seconds. The M Scaler gives so much more information about the recording room that I got a little dizzy in my head in the first minutes (but my brain adjusted after a short time). I was not prepared that you get so much more depth in the soundstage using the M Scaler. It´s like the listening room gets one more dimension. It´s just much more real. The acoustical information you get from the room is so much greater than using the Dave alone. That´s my first impression about listening with M Scaler for two hours. BTW I never skip to the next track, just continue listening I try to grab what I am hearing - that must be a good sign.
Will get a very special new BNC-cable tomorrow and will se if it makes some difference.
What new BNC cable are you trying? I have M Scaler on order and have been wondering what to use for BNC cable. Thanks.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,593 of 18,560
According to Chord, the M Scaler comes with BNC cables.

Yes, but it has no JSSG 360 shielding (see Computer Audiophile for more information). I will come back with more information about this cable when it´s burned in. If it´s as good as I suppose it will be I hope the manufactor will offer it public.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,594 of 18,560
Yes, but it has no JSSG 360 shielding (see Computer Audiophile for more information). I will come back with more information about this cable when it´s burned in. If it´s as good as I suppose it will be I hope the manufactor will offer it public.

I think Rob Watts has stated he hears no difference with a different BNC cable (USB cables too), so, YMMV.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,595 of 18,560
I think Rob Watts has stated he hears no difference with a different BNC cable (USB cables too), so, YMMV.

Yes, but as much as I appriciate his work - we defer at this point, at least according USB cables. For me there is a huge difference using a Lush^2 compared to other USB cables (I tried stock and Curious before) with DAVE. I want to check out on my own if the same thing applies to BNC-cables.

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,596 of 18,560
About the RF issue and needing ferrites.

I thought the Hugo 2 was more immune to RF on its input ports. Or was that just USB power line noise? Am going to have to run a search on that Hugo 2 thread.

If I am right the Hugo TT 2 would have that too. No idea about the DAVE, but I imagine maybe so.

Wouldn't it then be an idea to use the best quality coaxial cables, with maximum quality shielding? (Genuine question, as I am interested.)

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,597 of 18,560
Today I had the chance to hear the M-Scaler as part of 4 different systems at the Unilet Sound and Vision Show in London.

In order of preference

Innuos Zenith SE-M Scaler-Dave- Raidho D1.1

Innuos Zenith Statement- MScaler-TT2- KEF floorstsnders

Blue2-Dave-B&W flagship

Mac- MScaler-Dave - Stax SR700

Very different sonic characters due to transducers but the one thing that these had in common beyond the awesome technicalities was impeccable musical flow and that unmeasurable magic that captivated you and mesmerised you, communicating the music on an almost profound level. Especially with the raidhos, the synergy was out of this world. The ones of you here who own the M-Scaler, you lucky sods ...

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,599 of 18,560

What Rob has actually stated on here recently is that he is doing his own tests on dual BNC cables with the new MScaler and that he will report in due course. (but I think you are right about the USB bit).

My own listening tests show me that there is room for reducing the RF noise coming out of the MScaler even more than is done by the already excellent internal isolation and ferrites. This gives an even darker and less harsh sound quality to the MScaler. To put this in perspective though we are talking about subtle fine tuning here but every little bit helps at this level.

Rob had previously reported that extra clip on ferrites actually made the new MScaler sound worse but my own experiments now indicate that solid core tight fitting ferrites actually make the sound better. I currently listen to my MScaler with one of my 20 ferrite WAVE cables but I am hoping that fewer ferrites will be needed - at the moment my tests indicate maybe 12 but it would be nice to get down to even fewer than that. I have a few test cables out with people and it looks promising.

Wouldn't it then be an idea to use the best quality coaxial cables, with maximum quality shielding? (Genuine question, as I am interested.)

It is my understanding that we are not talking about outside RF getting into the cables but instead it is RF generated by the actual MScaler chip and which gets into the dual BNC cables as common mode noise - so better screening on the cable is not going to help. Compared to the Blu2 the new MScaler's internal dual BNC isolation and internal ferrites filter out almost all this noise but it seems to me that there is still a small amount of residual noise that gets through and that is what I am looking to eradicate. The new MScaler by itself is absolutely fine but I can hear improvements and it seems silly not to have them if they are possible.

The guide in all this is to seek out the darkest sound becasue that signifies the least amount of RF noise. I personally cannot see JSSG 360 shielding doing anything at all to filter out the common mode noise. People get irritated when we talk about ferrites but in my experience that is the only way to get rid of the slight amount or remaining common mode noise.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-30_21-40-4.png
    upload_2018-9-30_21-40-4.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,600 of 18,560
...People get irritated when we talk about ferrites but in my experience that is the only way to get rid of the slight amount or remaining common mode noise.

Triode, in fact, I really hope an optical solution to this dilemma will show up. I have been looking at various transmitter/receiver devices in the CCTV-over-fibre product space that only need slight modification to accept dual SPDIF 384kHz. Its all just investigation at this stage but i'll keep you updated.
Dan

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,601 of 18,560
@Nik74

Are you saying that the Raidho and KEF speakers were directly powered by the DACs? Particularly the KEF's, which are not super efficient ...if they can be driven to spectacular levels by the TT2, as you claim, well then this is something revolutionary.

Sorry My Bad ! Forgot to mention the amps. The Raidhos were driven by Chord Etude , the Kef and B&W by bigger Chord amps , I can't remember which models though. The Stax by their valve energiser

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,602 of 18,560
Mscalers. I can’t wait for my one to turn up. All you lucky people who have one already, I’m jealous. Hopefully I will hear the huge difference soundwise when my one arrives.
A question, which way is everyone feeding their mscaler, usb, optical or bnc ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back