Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #12,946 of 18,518
But did he buy them?
You took your time! 🤣

I believe he did - if he was being given cables for free then I'd have thought he would have the top ones. Do you know anything different or are you simply trying to undermine?

You realise that him using the cables is an acknowledgement that they address a small issue that he thought was solved or insignificant in his product, so he wouldn't do so lightly, or for the price of some free cables...

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #12,947 of 18,518
You took your time! 🤣

I believe he did - if he was being given cables for free then I'd have thought he would have the top ones. Do you know anything different or are you simply trying to undermine?

You realise that him using the cables is an acknowledgement that they address a small issue that he thought was solved or insignificant in his product, so he wouldn't do so lightly, or for the price of some free cables...

I wonder what he uses when travelling. Odd as it may sound, as noted in the Watt's Up thread (and with pictures of it posted by Rob), he travels with his M Scaler. Surely he uses some other, lighter cables?

(I do mean before the pandemic and for the future)

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #12,948 of 18,518
I wonder what he uses when travelling. Odd as it may sound, as noted in the Watt's Up thread (and with pictures of it posted by Rob), he travels with his M Scaler. Surely he uses some other, lighter cables?

(I do mean before the pandemic and for the future)
I have no idea - they aren't light...

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #12,950 of 18,518
Agreed on points 1 and 2.

As to RF filters, this is a complex area; also 22dB reduction would not be enough to eliminate the issue; also it's rated using a 50 ohm load which is not what one would get in practice. That said, best thing to do is to give it a listen; if it sounds warmer then run with it. I had no benefit with using batteries on TT2 though, but each system is different.

As to BNC cables, clip on ferrites helped with Blu 2; but they sounded worse with the Hugo M Scaler, due to the improved isolation on the BNC outputs. A simple way to improve the SQ is using 2m of BNC cables rather than 1m. The cable length is important (longer length is greater inductance to 2GHz impedance for ground loop currents is greater), so to a much lesser amount cable construction. Solid core 2GHz ferrites do work and will give the largest improvement and I use Wave cables myself.

Running the M scaler on batteries does indeed improve the situation and solves the BNC cable issues as batteries (you need to run it isolated completely from the mains) severs the ground loop from M scaler to TT2; thus RF currents can't flow into the DAC ground plane, and the problem is solved.

I should stress that this is very much surface finish of the icing on the cake - it's a significant difference on an AB test, but the scale of the change is forgotten about after a few days.

Happy listening!

way back in this thread and all you should need to know regarding the dual BNC cables ...

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #12,951 of 18,518
He doesn’t need to, he makes them himself. Have you ever seen Rob and Nick in the same room? There you go, think about that for a moment.....😜
Don't go starting rumours! We have enough conspiracy theories in the world at the moment... 🤣

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #12,952 of 18,518
Don't go starting rumours! We have enough conspiracy theories in the world at the moment... 🤣
The funniest one I read was about the burning of the 5G masts. One comment was along the lines of “for all the idiocy of the 5G spreading covid believers, hats off for working out how to burn a steel mast.....” 😜

on a more serious note has anyone seen anything about demagnetising the ferrites?

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #12,953 of 18,518
way back in this thread and all you should need to know regarding the dual BNC cables ...

So Rob is saying that running the HMS off battery (and presumably with optical in from the PC) solves the need for upgraded BNC cables even with the TT2 connected to the mains?

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #12,955 of 18,518
So Rob is saying that running the HMS off battery (and presumably with optical in from the PC) solves the need for upgraded BNC cables even with the TT2 connected to the mains?
if I read all the posts back then correctly then yes, the slight issue is caused by a high frequency loop..... MScaler PSu, MScaler , dual BNC , TT2 (or other DAC) power cable and loops though to the mains ... break the loop once anywhere and no problem exists ...
P.S. He also stated that using anything other than the supplied PSU would void the warranty if the fault was due to the power supply ....
even though in another post he said he uses a battery to power his MScaler on airplane flights..... plug something in wrong and supposedly it blows an internal fuse or chip so easy to tell if it was a user fault .... I’m guessing it’s to cover the misuse of 3rd party PSU’s with the wrong voltage ....

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #12,956 of 18,518
So the middle tier steam cables make a big difference with m scaler?

Oh yeah.

I haven’t listened to the reference version but I’d wager that between the Storm (middle tier) and reference, it’s somewhat a subjective difference in sound between copper and silver.

The storm are incredibly well built and take my mScaler and TT2 to another level versus stock BNC.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #12,957 of 18,518
Oh yeah.

I haven’t listened to the reference version but I’d wager that between the Storm (middle tier) and reference, it’s somewhat a subjective difference in sound between copper and silver.

The storm are incredibly well built and take my mScaler and TT2 to another level versus stock BNC.
I would agree with that, plus whatever difference the connectors might make. The biggest difference in performance is from stock cables to Stream cables.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #12,959 of 18,518
Oh yeah.

WAVE Web site currently lists (under "Dual BNC cables for Chord Mscaler and Blu MkII") :
Storm (GBP 1495), then the lighter more flexible new version of Storm named Stratos (GBP 1195) then Stream (GBP 895).

In my HMS/TT 2 setup the Stream was relaxed and neutral but the Storm was noticeably faster. I bought the Storm dual BNC cables.

HTH,
Hugh

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #12,960 of 18,518
Silly question about the Storm + Stream cables. People describe them as relatively heavy and inflexible. Does anyone worry about extra stress on the BNC connectors on the M Scaler and the TT2 from hanging more weight from them? Just curious. The idea of hanging something heavy/inflexible off the connectors makes me cringe a little bit. Also, is there a US distributor or are they only available from the UK through the manufacturer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back