Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #12,961 of 18,518
There are other options, have a look at the digital cable shootout over at Audiobacon, where the Storm cables rate very well, as an alternative there’s the Canadian Audiowise Opto DX system that looks an interesting alternative ...
once you get way from the standard certified cables the prices go from average, then expensive to “one day when I have enough cash”
like $12,000 per cable ?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #12,962 of 18,518
WAVE Web site currently lists (under "Dual BNC cables for Chord Mscaler and Blu MkII") :
Storm (GBP 1495), then the lighter more flexible new version of Storm named Stratos (GBP 1195) then Stream (GBP 895).

In my HMS/TT 2 setup the Stream was relaxed and neutral but the Storm was noticeably faster. I bought the Storm dual BNC cables.

HTH,
Hugh

Is the Stream cable still made with actual garden hose, hence the weight? See here at min 7:00. The review for the cables is otherwise very positive.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #12,964 of 18,518
I wonder what he uses when travelling. Odd as it may sound, as noted in the Watt's Up thread (and with pictures of it posted by Rob), he travels with his M Scaler. Surely he uses some other, lighter cables?

(I do mean before the pandemic and for the future)
Travelling with the MScaler means battery power so no RF loop to require special cables ....

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #12,965 of 18,518
Silly question about the Storm + Stream cables. People describe them as relatively heavy and inflexible. Does anyone worry about extra stress on the BNC connectors on the M Scaler and the TT2 from hanging more weight from them? Just curious. The idea of hanging something heavy/inflexible off the connectors makes me cringe a little bit. Also, is there a US distributor or are they only available from the UK through the manufacturer?

I have my TT2 and MScaler in an audio cabinet. I keep each component forward on the shelf so that 3-5” are open on the back and the wave cables weight is supported by the shelf and doesn’t strain the connectors.

I would be a little concerned about having wave cables freely hanging and putting that stress on the BNC connectors.

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #12,966 of 18,518
My cables from nick bacon at wave high fidelity arrived. The weight on these things are crazy. They gotta be 0.5kg each at least lol

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #12,968 of 18,518
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #12,969 of 18,518
Congrats on the HMS! I is a total game-changer. I have owned mine for only a week and am rediscovering my entire collection. I look forward to hearing your thoughts! (On the remote, just try to get a fingernail in the groove and it will pop right off).

Adding a fingernail did the trick. I placed my thumb on the notches and my fingernail at the end. I pressed up with my fingernail while pressing down and forward with my thumb.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #12,970 of 18,518
Is the Stream cable still made with actual garden hose, hence the weight? See here at min 7:00. The review for the cables is otherwise very positive.

The weight is from the 20 ferrites on each cable as well

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #12,971 of 18,518
Mar 3, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #12,972 of 18,518
Does anyone know how the M Scaler treats DSD files? I have tested DSD 64, 128, and 256 files and I cannot tell any difference with the filters enabled or bypassed. I became a fan of NativeDSD last year and I own quite a few DSD albums now.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #12,973 of 18,518
Does anyone know how the M Scaler treats DSD files? I have tested DSD 64, 128, and 256 files and I cannot tell any difference with the filters enabled or bypassed. I became a fan of NativeDSD last year and I own quite a few DSD albums now.
@Rob Watts knows for sure :wink:

If I remember correctly, HMS converts DSD to PCM and Rob can tell a lot why PCM is better. I don't understand math at that level, but I'm a NativeDSD fan also. My DSD256 albums sound great via HMS, DXD is just as good. I gave up trying to find which sounds better. Now I look into technical specs and simply buy album in the format of original recording.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #12,974 of 18,518
My cables from nick bacon at wave high fidelity arrived. The weight on these things are crazy. They gotta be 0.5kg each at least lol

I have the exact same cable. Oh yeah they are heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back