Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #15,616 of 18,958
The 6.3mm performance on the TT2 is excellent. When using an XLR adapter with the outputs on the back, you then have an incredibly powerful (for the size of the package - one box) balanced outputs that will power most headphones out there. Will have no issues with your LCD-5's for sure. out of either output. Enjoy.
Hi, which do you recommend… 6.3mm or Balanced XLR out of the back? Plus…. How do,you find your Liric’s out of the Chord Combo? I ask as I’m on the Liric Tour and will receive these for review in a few weeks time.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #15,617 of 18,958
Hi, which do you recommend… 6.3mm or Balanced XLR out of the back? Plus…. How do,you find your Liric’s out of the Chord Combo? I ask as I’m on the Liric Tour and will receive these for review in a few weeks time.

If I may to answer, I always prefer the 6.3mm output (as long as power requirement is enough). The SE connection is more fluid and organic, while the XLR out, while produce wider soundstage, but feel like there is "hardness" in sound that suck the emotion away.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #15,618 of 18,958
I finally got around to measuring the volume difference between the rear XLR and the SE output using a 1 khz test tone and a physical decibel meter through the DCA Stealth.

The XLR volume set at -6 below to the nearest equivalent SE volume is still about 0.4 to 0.5 dB louder, which may be part of the reason it sounds better to some.

I then connected my DAP to fine tune the volume so that both outputs were the same. With the 1khz volume equal, I found the Stealth bass to be slightly meatier and more present, which is my preference. Clarity in the upper mids and treble takes a very slight hit, but the gain is worth it.

It's practically a fifth filter. I like to imagine that I'm ordering off Chord's secret menu for those in the know.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #15,619 of 18,958
So your preference was SE or XLR?

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #15,620 of 18,958
With the Stealth, the XLR since it needs help in the bass department. With the Verite open, the SE. With the Verite Closed the XLR since I get the perception it's just a little bit wider.

Jan 22, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #15,621 of 18,958
If I may to answer, I always prefer the 6.3mm output (as long as power requirement is enough). The SE connection is more fluid and organic, while the XLR out, while produce wider soundstage, but feel like there is "hardness" in sound that suck the emotion away.
Do you hear the "hardness" more in a particular FR area?

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #15,622 of 18,958
I haven't felt the need to use the XLR's on the liric. I have tried them for a short period with the TT2/Mscaler, but really that is overkill for them. Of course, they sound great, but they cannot resolve everything that the TT2/Mscaler throws at them. I use my Liric with my Adi-2 Dac and it is a great combo - one level up them with my Violectric 280 in the mix and they really sing. That is how I use them most of the time. My Elites get the chord "treatment" the most (and benefit from it).

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #15,623 of 18,958
Do you hear the "hardness" more in a particular FR area?
Especially at midrange and treble area. Tried with Diana Phi, ZMF Verite and Meze Elite. All share same result. Easier to notice with vocal jazz songs.

Of course it still sound like TT2, just a little shift of differences in sound. Like you said, the "fifth filter" haha.

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #15,624 of 18,958
Anyone using the McIntosh MS500?

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #15,625 of 18,958
Especially at midrange and treble area. Tried with Diana Phi, ZMF Verite and Meze Elite. All share same result. Easier to notice with vocal jazz songs.

Of course it still sound like TT2, just a little shift of differences in sound. Like you said, the "fifth filter" haha.
That's interesting. I'm going to try to see if I can pick up on that during my next listening session. I am presuming that some sonic attribute is diminished going from SE to XLR rather than distortion or noise being added, knowing Chord's design goals. I could be wrong.

Jan 24, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #15,626 of 18,958
May I ask.... what do all of you do with your wiring? Is it neatly gathered, stuffed under something, wound around holders? All of these mains blocks and cables surely contribute to some sort of interference and definitely untidiness. Is there a clever way of how you do your wiring? Let me see if possible. Love to have some great ideas.

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #15,627 of 18,958
Wave Storm on sale Canuck Audio/US Audio mart. $1500 but u pay ship and PayPal. So that’s more like $1600. A heads up. I’m still waiting

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #15,628 of 18,958
May I ask.... what do all of you do with your wiring? Is it neatly gathered, stuffed under something, wound around holders? All of these mains blocks and cables surely contribute to some sort of interference and definitely untidiness. Is there a clever way of how you do your wiring? Let me see if possible. Love to have some great ideas.
I keep it neat. Hard to see exactly but I use a block of kayak foam with cuts in so I can keep the XLR, USB, BNCs and speaker cables apart… the large power cable for the Etude is kept well away.

Attachments

• 6689EA06-CF59-4066-B0B9-476DB57AFC07.jpeg
    6689EA06-CF59-4066-B0B9-476DB57AFC07.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #15,629 of 18,958
Mine is gathered up nicely. I use an under desk HumanScale cord net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back