I bought hd 598 and m50x....
Jul 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Danielbea122

100+ Head-Fier
I bought hd 598 and then the m50x because i wanted more bass. Both are nice. My question is should i return both(while i still can) and buy one pair of headphones with the money that are better?

If so what would you recommend for around $300. I will be using these for listening to music and non competitive gaming.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 47
At that price point, I really like the HD650 a lot. It scales beautifully (Do you have an amp? You will need one for the HD650). If you are not planning on getting an amp, I would look hard at an HE400S, which does great out of a phone or DAP and does not require an amp. You can't go wrong with either of those, IMO. FWIW YMMV, of course.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 47
I haven't heard the M50X but the 598 is what I use for competitive gaming because it has a great soundstage and has a sound signature that is hard to dislike. It does lack some bass, which is an issue for immersive gaming. Ix recommend to you the Phillips Fidelio X2. Think HD598 with more bass and the same big soundstage. It also doesn't need an amp for gaming and should sound pretty good out of a motherboard. It should be about $300 also. Good luck!

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 47
At that price point, I really like the HD650 a lot. It scales beautifully (Do you have an amp? You will need one for the HD650). If you are not planning on getting an amp, I would look hard at an HE400S, which does great out of a phone or DAP and does not require an amp. You can't go wrong with either of those, IMO. FWIW YMMV, of course.

Hmmm good point about the amp.

Im tinking about going with Philips X2. Thoughts?

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 47
X2 is amazing for immersion. It had bass, soundstage, imaging, and that build quality...mmm! I think you'd love the X2 honestly. No amp required!

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 47
I bought hd 598 and then the m50x because i wanted more bass. Both are nice. My question is should i return both(while i still can) and buy one pair of headphones with the money that are better?
If so what would you recommend for around $300. I will be using these for listening to music and non competitive gaming.
It might help to know what sources or DAC/amp your going to be plugging the headphones into?
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 47
Would you recommend the x2s over the hd598 and m50x?
Is there a noticeable difference?

Fidelio have a top notch build quality but is unconfortable and heavy to me. HD598 and X2 are very diferent, the sound of hd598 is flatter with a touch of warm and a very wide and airy soundstage while the Fidelio is bassy with an intimate soundstage. I only spent a couple of hours with the Meze 99 Neo but if you like bass you might like these headphones, they liked me more than my X2 :triportsad:

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 47
I own a pair of HD518 which are the HD598 with less detail but much more bass. I'm thinking about changing to help with CSGO footsteps, but these ones are good already. For bass advice you may want to look for the basshead threads, they also rate soundstages and such.

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 47
I want hd598 comfort with m50x bass. I really like the m50x but its so uncomfortable after about a half hour
IMO, you won't get M50x level of bass in an open back headphone. The X2 is open back. I had them. They are quite bassy for an open back, but my 2 big issues with them were comfort (tight clamp) and a certain shrillness or harshness to the treble only evident on some songs. I preferred the M50x to the X2 both in terms of comfort and sound. YMMV.

Have you considered Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 990? The DT series are very comfortable IMO. The 770 is closed back and 990 is open. Both have a good amount of bass but maybe not as much as M50x, especially high bass. The 770 being closed back should have better low bass than 990. If you decide to try either of these, I'd stick with 80 Ohm ones or higher. I read that the lower ohm models (16, 32) don't sound quite as good.

I have also heard good things about the Bose Soundtrue Around Ear II, both in terms of sound and comfort, but never heard them myself.

There are many other headphones out there with the bass of the M50x or better, but not many with also the same comfort as 598.

Edit: Forgot one. Sony MDR-1A looks like it might meet your criteria of comfort and bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back