I bought hd 598 and m50x....
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #31 of 47
Yeah, I owned the M50X, MDR-1A, and I own the HD 598 and the Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear II.

If you're looking for comfort nothing that I tried until now beats the Bose ST A-E II in terms of closed-backs. It is feather-light, very soft memory padding and proper sized ear-cups.
The bass is less in quantity than the M50x, and the general sound sig is also a little more laid-back compared to M50x, but more balanced and energetic enough for EDM or other modern music. The M50x had too much brightness in upper-mids / highs for me, and the comfort was awful, that's why I returned them. Although older Bose headphones had a bad reputation around here, I found the last iteration a pleasant listen and combined with the outstanding comfort, I think it is a headphone that should not be easily dismissed. I think now the respective model is discontinued and you can find great deals. I paid 155$ for it but I think you can find it much cheaper.

The MDR-1A had too much bass bloat for me, but some might like it. Again - very good comfort, try it if you can.

I also briefly tested the Momentum 2 Over-Ear. Bass is somewhere between the Bose and Sony, but better control, better mids and refinement. Highs a little shy. Overall I think it was the best of the three BUT you should try before you buy - the ear-cups are on the small side. Much better comfort that M50x regardless.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #32 of 47
Yeah, I owned the M50X, MDR-1A, and I own the HD 598 and the Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear II.

If you're looking for comfort nothing that I tried until now beats the Bose ST A-E II in terms of closed-backs. It is feather-light, very soft memory padding and proper sized ear-cups.
The bass is less in quantity than the M50x, and the general sound sig is also a little more laid-back compared to M50x, but more balanced and energetic enough for EDM or other modern music. The M50x had too much brightness in upper-mids / highs for me, and the comfort was awful, that's why I returned them. Although older Bose headphones had a bad reputation around here, I found the last iteration a pleasant listen and combined with the outstanding comfort, I think it is a headphone that should not be easily dismissed. I think now the respective model is discontinued and you can find great deals. I paid 155$ for it but I think you can find it much cheaper.

The MDR-1A had too much bass bloat for me, but some might like it. Again - very good comfort, try it if you can.

I also briefly tested the Momentum 2 Over-Ear. Bass is somewhere between the Bose and Sony, but better control, better mids and refinement. Highs a little shy. Overall I think it was the best of the three BUT you should try before you buy - the ear-cups are on the small side. Much better comfort that M50x regardless.

Way too many options I think i might just get earbuds

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #36 of 47
Let us know how they work out for you.

Im assuming that the hd598 have the least bass then the dt 990 then the m50x so I will return the 2 I dislike the most. I asked amazon they said its fine to do so.

Then probably wait for a good deal on something like the x2s.

I think my problem is that I expect more than what headphones are made to deliver if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #37 of 47
Im assuming that the hd598 have the least bass then the dt 990 then the m50x so I will return the 2 I dislike the most. I asked amazon they said its fine to do so.

I think my problem is that I expect more than what headphones are made to deliver if that makes sense.
It's always difficult making these decisions--so many options with so many features. It is very difficult to pick just one. ---)

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #38 of 47

Well, if you're expecting subwoofer level bass, then none of the ones we recommended in this thread are like that. You mentioned M50x level bass. If you want bass cannons, check out some of the "basshead" threads.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #39 of 47
Ok dt990 250ohm are the now my favorite overall (tight quick bass). Not as comfortable as hd598 but they will loosen a little im sure.

Thx to all that put up with my newb questions.

If you wanna test bass check this out

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #40 of 47
Ok dt990 250ohm are the now my favorite overall (tight quick bass). Not as comfortable as hd598 but they will loosen a little im sure.

Thx to all that put up with my newb questions.

If you wanna test bass check this out
Nice. Glad you like them. What amp are you using with them? What made you decide on the DT 990 instead of the closed back DT 770? Did you get Pro or Premium model? I heard the Pro has a tighter clamp than the Premium.

As far as the tightness goes, I'm not sure if the DT series allow for bending of the headband to loosen the clamp a bit (may want to check in DT 990 thread), but regardless, you should probably give them some use first to see if they loosen up on their own.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #41 of 47
Nice. Glad you like them. What amp are you using with them? What made you decide on the DT 990 instead of the closed back DT 770? Did you get Pro or Premium model? I heard the Pro has a tighter clamp than the Premium.

As far as the tightness goes, I'm not sure if the DT series allow for bending of the headband to loosen the clamp a bit (may want to check in DT 990 thread), but regardless, you should probably give them some use first to see if they loosen up on their own.

Im using a SMSL SD793-II amp/dac and it pushes them to point that you would hurt yout ears but they still sound clear even at that level.

I went dt990 over 770 after some research and coming to the conclusion that i was expecting something from headphones that aren't made to deliver unless you give up overall sound quality plus im only using them in my home. I'm used to my car system that makes your nose itch and even commercials rattle your brain lol

Pro was cheaper than premium and imo look better.

So now i will return the m50x and hd598 (breaks my heart to return the 598s) and just keep looking for a good deal on the 650s because from what i hear you cant get much better unless you drop some money on a better amp.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #42 of 47
Im using a SMSL SD793-II amp/dac and it pushes them to point that you would hurt yout ears but they still sound clear even at that level.

I went dt990 over 770 after some research and coming to the conclusion that i was expecting something from headphones that aren't made to deliver unless you give up overall sound quality plus im only using them in my home. I'm used to my car system that makes your nose itch and even commercials rattle your brain lol

Pro was cheaper than premium and imo look better.

So now i will return the m50x and hd598 (breaks my heart to return the 598s) and just keep looking for a good deal on the 650s because from what i hear you cant get much better unless you drop some money on a better amp.
I agree. I think Pro do look better than Premium.

I had HD 650, and they don't have much bass. They have a bit more low bass than 598, but 598 have more mid-high bass. Neither has close to the bass of M50x, and I bet less bass than DT 990.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #43 of 47
I agree. I think Pro do look better than Premium.

I had HD 650, and they don't have much bass. They have a bit more low bass than 598, but 598 have more mid-high bass. Neither has close to the bass of M50x, and I bet less bass than DT 990.

That sux.

I really like the philips x2 as well and idc if i find those at $199 new im buying based on reviews alone lol

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 47
yeah... DT770 Pro 80's sound like a better M50X and are much more comfortable.. however they are Much less portable long cable no folding / bulky.. but I love my DT770's and own the M50X if you like the M50's sound but want more comfort then the DT770 Pro 80's are probably for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back