iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Dec 15, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #3,091 of 3,129
I have the player but can’t open the box yet because it’s a gift. I’m new to using an Android device as a DAP, so please excuse my rather stupid question. I have a new micro SD card that I want to pair with my player. Do I need to format it first using the player so it could read the music files I’ll transfer to it from my laptop?

In other words, I plan on putting the micro SD card in the player and then connecting the player to my PC to transfer music files from the computer to the device…Do I need to format the card in the player first and have it treated as internal storage so I can transfer music to it? The non-Android DAPs I have had before just read the card and a format wasn’t necessary. I’ve also read that formatting the card and have it treated as internal storage will lead to the card not being able to be used externally outside the device? Yikes if that is the case.

Sorry for the rather newbish question but like I’ve said before, this is the first time I’m using an Android device as a DAP, so I’m sorry!

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #3,092 of 3,129
Or in simpler terms, when the setup prompt comes up when I put in the SD card into the player, I should choose portable storage and not internal? Or can I bypass this and not select either option? I just want to be able to insert the card to the player and transfer music from my PC to the card with the card in the player.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #3,093 of 3,129
Or in simpler terms, when the setup prompt comes up when I put in the SD card into the player, I should choose portable storage and not internal? Or can I bypass this and not select either option? I just want to be able to insert the card to the player and transfer music from my PC to the card with the card in the player.
I would get a card reader. It is easier and often faster.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #3,094 of 3,129
I have the player but can’t open the box yet because it’s a gift. I’m new to using an Android device as a DAP, so please excuse my rather stupid question. I have a new micro SD card that I want to pair with my player. Do I need to format it first using the player so it could read the music files I’ll transfer to it from my laptop?

In other words, I plan on putting the micro SD card in the player and then connecting the player to my PC to transfer music files from the computer to the device…Do I need to format the card in the player first and have it treated as internal storage so I can transfer music to it? The non-Android DAPs I have had before just read the card and a format wasn’t necessary. I’ve also read that formatting the card and have it treated as internal storage will lead to the card not being able to be used externally outside the device? Yikes if that is the case.

Sorry for the rather newbish question but like I’ve said before, this is the first time I’m using an Android device as a DAP, so I’m sorry!
Not a problem. I would agree with the above... transfer the music from your computer directly to the micro SD card, then mount the card on the DX150. You will select external storage. The internal storage on the 150 is quite small, I would skip it entirely. Loading from computer to card is almost always faster than computer to the DAP.

BTW, micro SD cards come in a wide variety, and they do not all write at the same speed. If you have a lot of files, go for the fastest card you can find. I have found that the name brands are consistently more reliable unknown generic ones. SanDisk, Samsung, Lexar are all good quality ones. The cards already come formatted. There are now 1 terabyte micro SD cards!

A useful article on the different SD card types: https://www.7dayshop.com/blog/whats...icro-sd-cards-and-their-various-class-speeds/

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #3,095 of 3,129
I would get a card reader. It is easier and often faster.
I concur. Over the years I’ve found, more often than not, that connecting a DAP with its inserted memory card into a computer’s USB will eventually become problematic. Normally it’s a case of DAP is unreadable or not recognized via USB. So I just keep a fast (digital photo grade) card reader perma-connected to desktop and remove SDcards from players/phones and edit that way.

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #3,096 of 3,129
Thanks for the replies. Does the new card need to be formatted by the player though, so the card can be used? Does the player format the card if I choose the prompt selecting the card to be used as portable/expandable storage? I didn’t have to format my cards the first time it’s used with my non-Android DAPs, but is it different with an Android-based DAP?

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #3,097 of 3,129
Thanks for the replies. Does the new card need to be formatted by the player though, so the card can be used? Does the player format the card if I choose the prompt selecting the card to be used as portable/expandable storage? I didn’t have to format my cards the first time it’s used with my non-Android DAPs, but is it different with an Android-based DAP?

Cards are factory formatted. If you need to format later preferred tool is SD Memory Card Formatter.
In latest firmware only portable storage option is available.

Dec 18, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #3,098 of 3,129
Cards are factory formatted. If you need to format later preferred tool is SD Memory Card Formatter.
In latest firmware only portable storage option is available.

I watched a YouTube video of an Android phone and I learned that choosing portable storage will format the card anyway, so I guess I have no choice but to format it? Or can I bypass this prompt completely and not format it at all? Will bypassing the prompt and NOT formatting cause the card to not be able to used at all?

Oh and how do I insert the card? Man, I’m so tempted to open it and see for myself, but since it’s a gift, I can’t yet. Lol. Label and writing facing up or facing down?

Stupid questions, but hey, it’s a Christmas gift from my Mom, so I can’t open it yet. And yeah, I’m me.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #3,099 of 3,129
I just put it in a card reader and copy music straight over

Then put it in the dap and see what happens

Often micro sd cards are inserted label down. Dont force it, it will go in or not.

You can just copy and paste music onto the card in the meantime while you wait for xmas day. (I dont even make a music folder).

When you scan it in thr dap and later attach to a computer it will show several folders. All will be good. Its already formatted or the dap will donit with scanning.

Pc will recognize it. For mac you need ‘android file transfer’ free app

Dec 18, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #3,100 of 3,129
The card goes in 'upside down', i.e. label to the bottom side of the player. There is a spring loaded mechanism inside the player. You push the card in as far as you can with your finder, then use your finger nail to push it the rest of the way in. The card will disappear inside the player but the edge will be right up against the outside edge of the slot. To remove, press in on it with your finger nail and it will pop part way out so you can remove it the rest of the way.

Two caveats:
1. The native Mango player software that the DX150 comes with (like nearly all music player software) depends on the accuracy of the metadata (tags) embedded in each track. Producers are wildly sloppy in their tagging of tracks. Example: Beethoven / Beethoven, Ludwig / Beethoven, Ludwig van / Ludwig van Beethoven will be treated at four different composers by the software. The situation is only marginally better with rock, pop, blues, etc. This leads to some bizarre search results.
2. You can create your own folder structure, organized by composer or artist or genre.... it's totally up to you. Think how you will be searching for music, whether to listen to or to create playlists for later. At minimum, a folder for each album, perhaps with those folders inside a folder for the artist (or composer). It's really up to you. Remember, though, that for search purposes, the DX150 will only read/display the tags that are built in to it's Mango player... Artist, Album title, Genre, and "all music", an alphabetical listing of all tracks (NOT albums), and finally, 'Directory', a top level listing of all those file names. It gets that info from the metadata, and will only be as accurate as that metadata is!

You may find that you want to clean up your collection to get rid of inconsistent artist listings or missing album art, etc. There are automated services and software (free and paid) that do this, with varying degrees of success. There are databases of millions of files of metadata available on line that allow you to download corrected data for a given album. If you want to do this on your own as an exercise in masochism, you will find a program like MP3Tag (which doesn't just work with mp3 files) will be invaluable, allowing you to write whatever metadata you want, even create your own tags.

I know this all sounds daunting, and it can be a real PITA; but you more than likely already have some of the basic work already done if you have ripped music from cd's or have bought digital downloads. At minimum, you likely already have a folder for each album, and that will work... until you want to find that one song by Sweet that is only on one of your compiliation cd's of 70's rock. Because the metadata from that cd has the title 'The Ballroom Blitz", you won't find it listed under 'B' or 'Ballroom Blitz', but instead with umtpy-um songs that start with 'The'.

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #3,101 of 3,129
Just unboxed the device and setup was pretty painless. After inserting my SD card, there was a prompt of selecting either portable or internal storage, and I chose portable like suggested. It didn't format my card after selecting the prompt and I'm now transferring music to the device with the card in the player.

A question in regards to this though. After swiping down the notification tab, there's an option that reads "Eject" when the device is connected to the computer, and files are being transferred from the PC to the device's card that's inserted (AKA: MTP Mode). Do I need to select the Eject prompt after every time I'm done transferring music or can I just disconnect the cable from the device? Will disconnecting the cable and NOT ejecting via the menu notification screen possibly corrupt the card? I will of course wait until files are completely transferred before detaching the cable, but again, I wonder, does not ejecting cause negative effects?

I know I might go against the grain here, but I've decided to just transfer music with the card already inserted in the player because removing the included case every time to access the memory slot is just annoying for me, personally. I do hope I can still get an answer to my question though. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back