iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #14,538 of 14,593
Just send an email to iBasso/Paul to find out what to do.
I wrote a PM yesterday morning to Paul.
Let´s see what he says about.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #14,539 of 14,593
Not quite Europe but there's always NP audio in the UK
Thank you for the information.
I know NP audio but don´t have it on my plan for repair.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #14,540 of 14,593
Feb 6, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #14,541 of 14,593
Did you email him? I know he has asked for emails.
I would definitely email for an official repair request. He does reply fairly quickly over on facebook but not so much here on headfi. Either way, its Lunar New Year so they are likely on holiday.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #14,542 of 14,593
@jamato8
Did you email him? I know he has asked for emails.
I have written a PM from headfi.

@mformoriarty
I would definitely email for an official repair request. He does reply fairly quickly over on facebook but not so much here on headfi. Either way, its Lunar New Year so they are likely on holiday.
I do not have Facebook or something like that.
My hope was to get a message from him.

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #14,543 of 14,593
@jamato8

I have written a PM from headfi.

@mformoriarty

I do not have Facebook or something like that.
My hope was to get a message from him.

He rarely answers any pm's (as he has indicated multiple times in his posts, and as @jamato8 has also indicated)... He WILL answer emails to him fairly quickly though. In case you don't know it, it is: paul@ibasso.com

P.S. Normally he will also even answer during the Chinese New Year when everyone is off as well. I have always found him to be VERY responsive to (legitimate) inquiries. :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #14,544 of 14,593
Howdy folks,

I'm looking for opinions about the amp cards for my DX300. I'm reviewing the new Hiby flagship R8II and whilst the DX300 has good stage and overall sound quality with amp 11, I'm missing out on the even larger stage and sharper transient response of the R8II, which makes me sad. Since I don't want to sell and buy another DAP, I'm looking at the amp cards. Would the amp 12 or amp 14 close the gap?

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #14,545 of 14,593
Howdy folks,

I'm looking for opinions about the amp cards for my DX300. I'm reviewing the new Hiby flagship R8II and whilst the DX300 has good stage and overall sound quality with amp 11, I'm missing out on the even larger stage and sharper transient response of the R8II, which makes me sad. Since I don't want to sell and buy another DAP, I'm looking at the amp cards. Would the amp 12 or amp 14 close the gap?
Nope its not about the amps, which are pretty good, but about the internal dac. Its not on the same level as R8ii and N8ii. Unfortunately Dx300 and even Dx320 will keep sounding flat compared to totl flagships, not to speak of ultra flagships like N30 and Dx320 Max. I confidently say this after comparing Dx300, Dx320 with N8ii and Dx320 Max Ti.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #14,546 of 14,593
He rarely answers any pm's (as he has indicated multiple times in his posts, and as @jamato8 has also indicated)... He WILL answer emails to him fairly quickly though. In case you don't know it, it is: paul@ibasso.com

P.S. Normally he will also even answer during the Chinese New Year when everyone is off as well. I have always found him to be VERY responsive to (legitimate) inquiries. :)
Hi

Hi,
thank you for the address. I will write to this and perhaps i will get an answer.

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #14,547 of 14,593
Got a message from him.
They will do service in China.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #14,548 of 14,593
Howdy folks,

Hey there bro.

I have all but Amp14 for my DX300, and I can say that if you are looking for larger stage and sharper transients, then Amp12 is the one to get with the DX300. Amp11 MKII is sort of a "middle of the road" amp card when comparing the (Nutube) Amp13, and the (lots of power) Amp12.

Amp13 is the most "analog" of the bunch. This is mostly because of the "tube" distortion that the amp card adds to the sound. It is also very polarizing as to what sounds good with it. I have some sets that sound like crap with this amp card, but I also have some that sound the best they have ever sounded with this card. Keep in mind (if you didn't know) that it is 3.5mm SE only, and also doesn't put out much power (comparatively speaking); something like 200mw max out of the low power connector, and 400mw max out of the high power connector.

Amp11 MKII card (I'm guessing from the differences in sound) is meant to be more reference. It is neither too analog, nor too SS sounding. I WILL say this though, depending on the head gear that you use, and to a certain point the digital filter that you set the DX to, it CAN have a very large sound stage. Though the transients are never as sharp as you are describing. I wouldn't call them "tube amp" slow, but they aren't as crisp as a pure SS amp would be.

Amp12 card is the most SS sounding of the bunch, so the staging is naturally larger, and transients are much quicker. It makes bass sound like it pops more, brings up textures, and sounds just faster in general, but loses a bit of rumble because of this, as an example. This is the 4.4mm balanced only amp card, so you will always have a max of about 3W on tap as well.

Amp14 is known (though I have yet to hear it) to be somewhere in between Am13 and Amp11 MKII. somewhat a cross between tube and SS; unlike the Amp13 card that is decidedly a pure tube sound. Also, keep in mind that there WAS another Amp11 card, which was the OG card that the DX300 came out with. If this is what you have, then I can completely see why you are not too satisfied with these things that you are looking for. Personally, I am glad that they had issues and had to come out with a different "stock" card not too long into production of the DX300. It was much more intimate, darker, warmer, and (what seemed like) less resolution overall.

Keep in mind that synergy plays a very large role in these things as well because if you look at the numbers like dynamic range, etc... they are either neck and neck, or the DX300 actually does a bit better. But this is also in comparison to a flagship that is 3 years old to a new device.

Nope its not about the amps, which are pretty good, but about the internal dac. Its not on the same level as R8ii and N8ii. Unfortunately Dx300 and even Dx320 will keep sounding flat compared to totl flagships, not to speak of ultra flagships like N30 and Dx320 Max. I confidently say this after comparing Dx300, Dx320 with N8ii and Dx320 Max Ti.
I am certainly not trying to start any wars here, but I have to respectfully disagree with you here. While the overall quality of sound is affected by the internal DACs, it doesn't have as much to do with the technicalities as does the amplifiers, and the circuitry in general; which help in deciding the specification numbers that DO show the overall quality at which you will hear things (assuming one has good enough head gear to hear or not hear such things). And, in case you didn't know, the DX300 and the DX320 are indeed both TOTL flagship DAPs. Just because they are cheaper than the most expensive stuff out there does not make them lesser.

As far as being flat, this is normally a really good thing. It is referred to as "reference" which is basically as close to the original sound as can be done with the technology available at the time. For those that like more "musical" there are MUCH cheaper options that will give this, so the point is rather moot because most TOTL DAPs try and make them pretty "reference" more than simply musical. I have a little, single DAC DAP (Shanling M0) that is probably one of the more musical DAPs that I own, but the overall sound quality is NOT in the same league as something like the DX300, DX320, or even the Cayin N8II, or (probably even) the Hiby R8II (among MANY others I could name). On the other hand, saying that they will remain "flat" has nothing to do with transients, nor staging, which is what he was asking about. He commented that he did indeed like the overall sound (flat or not to you).

The bottom line here is that, yes, the amplifier cards for both the DX300 and DX320 do indeed make a huge difference in sound quality, and technicalities, as well as what head gear can more easily be used or not. It is like having 4 different DAPs altogether (if one has all 4 cards).

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #14,549 of 14,593
Hey there bro.

I have all but Amp14 for my DX300, and I can say that if you are looking for larger stage and sharper transients, then Amp12 is the one to get with the DX300. Amp11 MKII is sort of a "middle of the road" amp card when comparing the (Nutube) Amp13, and the (lots of power) Amp12.

Amp13 is the most "analog" of the bunch. This is mostly because of the "tube" distortion that the amp card adds to the sound. It is also very polarizing as to what sounds good with it. I have some sets that sound like crap with this amp card, but I also have some that sound the best they have ever sounded with this card. Keep in mind (if you didn't know) that it is 3.5mm SE only, and also doesn't put out much power (comparatively speaking); something like 200mw max out of the low power connector, and 400mw max out of the high power connector.

Amp11 MKII card (I'm guessing from the differences in sound) is meant to be more reference. It is neither too analog, nor too SS sounding. I WILL say this though, depending on the head gear that you use, and to a certain point the digital filter that you set the DX to, it CAN have a very large sound stage. Though the transients are never as sharp as you are describing. I wouldn't call them "tube amp" slow, but they aren't as crisp as a pure SS amp would be.

Amp12 card is the most SS sounding of the bunch, so the staging is naturally larger, and transients are much quicker. It makes bass sound like it pops more, brings up textures, and sounds just faster in general, but loses a bit of rumble because of this, as an example. This is the 4.4mm balanced only amp card, so you will always have a max of about 3W on tap as well.

Amp14 is known (though I have yet to hear it) to be somewhere in between Am13 and Amp11 MKII. somewhat a cross between tube and SS; unlike the Amp13 card that is decidedly a pure tube sound. Also, keep in mind that there WAS another Amp11 card, which was the OG card that the DX300 came out with. If this is what you have, then I can completely see why you are not too satisfied with these things that you are looking for. Personally, I am glad that they had issues and had to come out with a different "stock" card not too long into production of the DX300. It was much more intimate, darker, warmer, and (what seemed like) less resolution overall.

Keep in mind that synergy plays a very large role in these things as well because if you look at the numbers like dynamic range, etc... they are either neck and neck, or the DX300 actually does a bit better. But this is also in comparison to a flagship that is 3 years old to a new device.

I am certainly not trying to start any wars here, but I have to respectfully disagree with you here. While the overall quality of sound is affected by the internal DACs, it doesn't have as much to do with the technicalities as does the amplifiers, and the circuitry in general; which help in deciding the specification numbers that DO show the overall quality at which you will hear things (assuming one has good enough head gear to hear or not hear such things). And, in case you didn't know, the DX300 and the DX320 are indeed both TOTL flagship DAPs. Just because they are cheaper than the most expensive stuff out there does not make them lesser.

As far as being flat, this is normally a really good thing. It is referred to as "reference" which is basically as close to the original sound as can be done with the technology available at the time. For those that like more "musical" there are MUCH cheaper options that will give this, so the point is rather moot because most TOTL DAPs try and make them pretty "reference" more than simply musical. I have a little, single DAC DAP (Shanling M0) that is probably one of the more musical DAPs that I own, but the overall sound quality is NOT in the same league as something like the DX300, DX320, or even the Cayin N8II, or (probably even) the Hiby R8II (among MANY others I could name). On the other hand, saying that they will remain "flat" has nothing to do with transients, nor staging, which is what he was asking about. He commented that he did indeed like the overall sound (flat or not to you).

The bottom line here is that, yes, the amplifier cards for both the DX300 and DX320 do indeed make a huge difference in sound quality, and technicalities, as well as what head gear can more easily be used or not. It is like having 4 different DAPs altogether (if one has all 4 cards).
Thanks mate! Nice to talk to you again.

I might go with the Amp 12 when I find a good deal. You are right, my DX300 has the Amp11 OG, not the MkII. It was still a step ahead of my previous Shanling M6 Ultra, but it's getting long in the tooth.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #14,550 of 14,593
Thanks mate! Nice to talk to you again.

I might go with the Amp 12 when I find a good deal. You are right, my DX300 has the Amp11 OG, not the MkII. It was still a step ahead of my previous Shanling M6 Ultra, but it's getting long in the tooth.
You are very welcome! You too good sir! I have missed our convos.

Knowing that you have the OG Amp11.1, I might even suggest the Amp11MkII (affectionately named 11.2). It still can put out somewhere around 2.2W of power with similar specs, and what you get with it is a 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm balanced, and 3.5mm SE connector. You can use anything except XLR in it... :)

Now, of course, I think that the 12 still has better staging, separation, transients, and overall attacks and speed. And, to me it was well worth the cost. My problem with it is that I still have some gear that is 3.5mm SE only.

Not to say that you will NEVER see these on discount, but it is pretty rare. Most places are selling them for $300(ish) which.... just wow! But you can get one from iBasso direct for about $229 (if they indeed ship down under). Also, there have been a ton sold lately in the Head-Fi classifieds (with a few people asking for one), and for around $150 - $225 for the stock amp 12 (the non-modded one), so the regular price is not too shabby for a brand new one IMHO. If you buy a used one for near the new price, make sure you get the case that the card comes in as well as the torx driver it comes with as well as the replacement bag of screws, and the upgraded (black) leather case for the DX300 as well (unless you are ok with not getting those items). :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back