If You Could Have Any Headphone....
Jul 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:
Koss ESP/10s in brand new condition with a working E/10.
You said "insane" and "fantasy."
rolleyes.gif

Was the ESP/10 really that good?

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 55
Was the ESP/10 really that good?

Compared to what?

I haven't listened to them in a while (mine have no pads and are a mess, and the E/10 is fragged (the "DC bias" has AC on it, and dances around - it's fun to watch on a scope, but that gives you pause about putting them close to your brain)), but I like that they're exactly opposite of "audiophile hi-fi" these days. They roll of at 7khz, but are still 'stats - which means it's still effortless and fast, and so on. They're also mostly closed, so they isolate fairly well. They're very easy to listen to, weight aside (compared to modern planars they're still lightweights though!). The 950s are probably the better headphone, since they extend further up-top, weigh about half as much, etc, but I already have those, and assumed that if a magic genie were going to grant me a wish, I'd rather ask for something I don't have but want, instead of a duplicate of something I have and like (because there's another genie that will ensure I don't need duplicates, called the Koss Limited Lifetime Warranty).

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:
Compared to what?
I haven't listened to them in a while (mine have no pads and are a mess, and the E/10 is fragged (the "DC bias" has AC on it, and dances around - it's fun to watch on a scope, but that gives you pause about putting them close to your brain)), but I like that they're exactly opposite of "audiophile hi-fi" these days. They roll of at 7khz, but are still 'stats - which means it's still effortless and fast, and so on. The 950s are probably the better headphone, since they extend further up-top, weigh about half as much, etc, but I'll always have a soft spot for the ESP/10. I have no sincere interest in owning any of the "flagship" toys.

I'm actually that way about my ESP/950. A modern HD650 can give them a run for their money for much less of that same commodity, but I love my outdated 'stat perhaps more than my other flagships.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 55

That's what I'm talkin about!

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:
SR009. Doesn't everybody want that?

With no amp, probably not. The (unintended) dilemna of the thread is that I'm personally taking it too literally and coming up with something that needs to run using the equipment I already own. It's more fun that way.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 55
I'm actually that way about my ESP/950. A modern HD650 can give them a run for their money for much less of that same commodity, but I love my outdated 'stat perhaps more than my other flagships.

Imho the HD 580 (which is about the same vintage as the 950s) is a good second-place consolation prize, especially at a third the list price. The 950s don't have "a lot" more over them (they are not 3x the headphone) - they're just slightly smoother, faster, more extended, and have less recessed mids. I think it's a testament to what used to be Sennheiser, and Koss' overall engineering prowess. In that neither of them are super expensive, and both are essentially timeless. I haven't heard the 650, but I assume I'd have much the same feelings.

And that they cost less than any other current showboat, that's also nice.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #25 of 55
I've often thought of "converting" my LCD2 and K1000 into an LCD3, out of curiosity mostly. But I probably won't because I like the variety. So I guess I'd go with an LCD3 as well.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 55

HD 1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back