If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 31, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #11,896 of 19,253
Do the olives have a wax filter in them?
All the olives I found had it and it stopped the tip from covering the stem.

Older olive doesn't have wax filter, but Shure added them in a couple of years ago. Just cut it off and you are good to go.

May 31, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #11,897 of 19,253
Do the olives have a wax filter in them?
All the olives I found had it and it stopped the tip from covering the stem.

It does, but if push hard enough (don’t worry, the ER4XR are sturdy), it nearly covers the stem 100% (about 90%).

May 31, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #11,898 of 19,253
deleted: I was going to say that yes, has filter, but fits perfectly.

However, having seen the above post, I realized that they don't go completely down all the way, which wouldn't bother me, till I realized that means that the opening of the capsules is pushed against (and thus covered in spots) by the wax filter. Which at least bothers me in theory.

The material is pretty soft, so not very easy to cut even with a sharp Xacto knife.... Easier to heat up a large safety pin or nail with a candle and melt it away.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #11,899 of 19,253
Trying it again now...it really makes me nervous having it push against it.
I did spend a solid hour before carving away at the filter on another one before, but it was still stopped in part by the rim of the earwax.
I tried the dekoni gemini foams too, as they don't have a filter.
They are really tough though, and part of the stem is flush with the foams, and I hurt my ear once or twice jamming it in too far.

I washed my beige foams with peroxide the other day, and they came out clean, but lost some squishiness. Doh!
Guess there is not winning with foam.
Looks like I am up for another round of triple flanges.
Let's see how long before I switch tips again (usually about a week :S)

May 31, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #11,900 of 19,253
Trying it again now...it really makes me nervous having it push against it.
I did spend a solid hour before carving away at the filter on another one before, but it was still stopped in part by the rim of the earwax.
I tried the dekoni gemini foams too, as they don't have a filter.
They are really tough though, and part of the stem is flush with the foams, and I hurt my ear once or twice jamming it in too far.

I washed my beige foams with peroxide the other day, and they came out clean, but lost some squishiness. Doh!
Guess there is not winning with foam.
Looks like I am up for another round of triple flanges.
Let's see how long before I switch tips again (usually about a week :S)

Ya it doesn’t look easy to remove.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #11,902 of 19,253
My review on Etymotic ER3XR is live now :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/06/etymotic-er3xr-precise-beauty.html

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-18.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-04.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-16.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-10.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-12.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-23.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-11.jpg

Etymotic-ER3-XR-ER3XR-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-03.jpg

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #11,906 of 19,253
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #11,907 of 19,253
DSC_0152-800x450.JPG

Don't mind the driver in the picture (*it is an DIYed reproduction of original ER4 in steel housing, just so you wonder), but it is pretty easy to use a readily made balanced cable and put the SR/XR compatible connector on it. I made the one above for the 4S sound, but it will work on SR/XR if I don't include the 100ohm resistor needed for 4S.

Etymotic, as usual, is working on its own pace.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #11,908 of 19,253

Don't mind the driver in the picture (*it is an DIYed reproduction of original ER4 in steel housing, just so you wonder), but it is pretty easy to use a readily made balanced cable and put the SR/XR compatible connector on it. I made the one above for the 4S sound, but it will work on SR/XR if I don't include the 100ohm resistor needed for 4S.

Etymotic, as usual, is working on its own pace.

Is that DIY version pretty accurate? I've been eyeing getting a pair.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #11,909 of 19,253
Is that DIY version pretty accurate? I've been eyeing getting a pair.

I have two pairs of ER4S now (one from 8 yrs ago and one much older, red/blue version, 2nd hand) and they don't sound 100% identical to each other but very close. I'll say the DIY one is right between them, but closer to the older version. In othes words, I'll say it is good enough that most can't tell in a blind test.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #11,910 of 19,253
I miss the Etymotic sound and for what seems like the 53rd time I'm jumping back in.

Now what do I choose - XR or SR? I like my bass but am by no means a bass head and do like a neutral take on my music.

Help me out here folks. I did do a search but looking for some recent viewpoints on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back