iFi audio iDSD Diablo-X - eXperience innovation!
Jun 25, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 81
I believe that xMEMS IEM will remain a very niche product for a fairly long time until the price drops substantially.

The Diablo X has dropped Eco mode and retains the conventional volume pot.

If ifi has left the internal gain set set up alone so that normal on the X is the same as the current Diablo’s normal that will mean the X will be even less well suited to conventional IEM and easy to drive headphones.

Additionally, if the gain cannot be set lower than the current normal mode the channel imbalance problem with some of the original Diablo’s will be even more of a problem if you happen to get a unit with worse than usual channel imbalance.

The response from ifi to these issues is the inclusion of an IEMatch but I think a lot of potential owners will not see that as an appropriate solution.
How expensive could the drivers possibly be that it will be a niche product for a long time? I mean, we're already at the point where most audiophiles see a kilobuck IEM as almost a gateway product... The majority of high-end IEM manufacturers start their flagship series around $2k, and nobody blinks at TOTL flagships in the mid $3ks to $4ks.

If xMEMS drivers are so expensive that they can't be implemented at those prices, then I'll go one further: they are never going to be implemented. At least not as they are now. Because such a vast expense would mean that they are currently such a bleeding-edge blue-sky project that by the time they actually get to market in a cost-effective form, they will most likely be vastly different from what they are now.

For example, consider a super computer from the early 90's versus the home machines capable of that performance that the public eventually got decades later. Manufacturers had to completely revise and change the tech of that original computer to deliver something of comparable performance with a price the market would bear.

My gut feeling, since there is a pretty decent marketing push going on right now, is that an xMEMS IEM can be sold profitably right now for what high-end IEMs already sell for. In fact, I'd be surprised if there aren't products in development right now.

Now whether they will actually live up to the hype is an entirely different question altogether, ha ha.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #18 of 81
How expensive could the drivers possibly be that it will be a niche product for a long time? I mean, we're already at the point where most audiophiles see a kilobuck IEM as almost a gateway product... The majority of high-end IEM manufacturers start their flagship series around $2k, and nobody blinks at TOTL flagships in the mid $3ks to $4ks.

If xMEMS drivers are so expensive that they can't be implemented at those prices, then I'll go one further: they are never going to be implemented. At least not as they are now. Because such a vast expense would mean that they are currently such a bleeding-edge blue-sky project that by the time they actually get to market in a cost-effective form, they will most likely be vastly different from what they are now.

For example, consider a super computer from the early 90's versus the home machines capable of that performance that the public eventually got decades later. Manufacturers had to completely revise and change the tech of that original computer to deliver something of comparable performance with a price the market would bear.

My gut feeling, since there is a pretty decent marketing push going on right now, is that an xMEMS IEM can be sold profitably right now for what high-end IEMs already sell for. In fact, I'd be surprised if there aren't products in development right now.

Now whether they will actually live up to the hype is an entirely different question altogether, ha ha.

The driver itself is not 'that' expensive as compared to other types of drivers on the market. What makes it niche is its requirements to be driven off a portable device. There's also the difficulties when it comes to tuning as MEMS drivers in general are a completely new breed, but that's another story.

The Diablo X is the first of its kind on the market that can power both conventional and MEMS drivers. If more upcoming DAPs/Amps have the same capabilities I would say we will see an explosion of IEMs that use MEMS microspeakers as they are leaps and bounds better than conventional drivers when tuned right.

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 81
The driver itself is not 'that' expensive as compared to other types of drivers on the market. What makes it niche is its requirements to be driven off a portable device. There's also the difficulties when it comes to tuning as MEMS drivers in general are a completely new breed, but that's another story.

The Diablo X is the first of its kind on the market that can power both conventional and MEMS drivers. If more upcoming DAPs/Amps have the same capabilities I would say we will see an explosion of IEMs that use MEMS microspeakers as they are leaps and bounds better than conventional drivers when tuned right.
This is a better explanation for a possible delay than price.

That said, I reckon the biggest factors for MEMS catching on (assuming they are great) are threefold:

1. We are about to see a ton of wireless IEMs drop using MEMS tech, most likely priced at what the average consumer thinks of as "pricy" and we think of as "entry level".

2. If the hype behind MEMS is legit, then despite their consumer (Beats) tuning, they will be incredible, and we audiophiles will want. We will want badly.

3. It's neither particularly expensive nor difficult to build amps that drive MEMS, and the audiophile DAC/Amp industry moves faaaaaast.

This last point I think is supported by the pricing of the Diablo X... People are focusing on the fact that it is priced at $1,100. They seem to be forgetting that the regular Diablo is priced at $1,000. Given that nothing else has changed except a re-skinning, the ability to drive MEMS seems to be a $100 feature. And while I love iFi and think they make terrific products for the money, I'd bet dollars to pesos that the majority of that extra $100 doesn't represent an actual manufacturing cost so much as it does a first-to-market fee... the newest of the new-new always has one of those tacked on.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 81
Given that nothing else has changed except a re-skinning,

Actually, Diablo-X features an internal component in form of a motherboard atop the original PCB. This extra circuit is dedicated to correctly bias the product's 4.4mm headphone out, so that it can accommodate xMEMS drivers.

TL;DR: Diablo-X is a fair bit different both inside and out :wink:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 25, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 81
This is a better explanation for a possible delay than price.

That said, I reckon the biggest factors for MEMS catching on (assuming they are great) are threefold:

1. We are about to see a ton of wireless IEMs drop using MEMS tech, most likely priced at what the average consumer thinks of as "pricy" and we think of as "entry level".

2. If the hype behind MEMS is legit, then despite their consumer (Beats) tuning, they will be incredible, and we audiophiles will want. We will want badly.

3. It's neither particularly expensive nor difficult to build amps that drive MEMS, and the audiophile DAC/Amp industry moves faaaaaast.

This last point I think is supported by the pricing of the Diablo X... People are focusing on the fact that it is priced at $1,100. They seem to be forgetting that the regular Diablo is priced at $1,000. Given that nothing else has changed except a re-skinning, the ability to drive MEMS seems to be a $100 feature. And while I love iFi and think they make terrific products for the money, I'd bet dollars to pesos that the majority of that extra $100 doesn't represent an actual manufacturing cost so much as it does a first-to-market fee... the newest of the new-new always has one of those tacked on.

I understand your sentiment but price is always going to be a hurdle for mass market acceptance of anything.

At the moment the IEM are priced at a level that some might think is "entry level" for a high end product, and it might be great value considering the performance, but the wider audience thinks $200 is expensive let alone $2,000.

So yes, price will be an obstacle in general terms even if it is not for the well heeled audiophile that can have whatever toys they want regardless of price.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #22 of 81
I haven't been following the XMEMS news so forgive my ignorance, but when can we expect to see lower priced commercial earphones using XMEMS drivers in the market (say around the $500 mark)?

I understand that the Singularity Audio Oni IEMs is using this tech but...... It's beyond affordable for most people.

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #23 of 81
I haven't been following the XMEMS news so forgive my ignorance, but when can we expect to see lower priced commercial earphones using XMEMS drivers in the market (say around the $500 mark)?

I understand that the Singularity Audio Oni IEMs is using this tech but...... It's beyond affordable for most people.
You will get no argument from me on that- most non-audiophiles consider $1500 for an IEM obscene. They've never even heard of such a thing.

But this also kind of proves my point... I'm not saying higher cost wouldn't be factor that limits it's wider consumer market share. But as far as audiophiles go... This is right in the ballpark.

Listen, I'm not some snob who loves to throw down crazy money on this hobby- I think like most of us, occasionally I do, more often I don't. I think one can build near end-game rigs very frugally if one knows their stuff and pairs wisely.

But that all said, I'm merely pointing out that one doesn't need to wander very far from this thread to find endless other threads celebrating IEMs that cost more than twice what the Oni does. So clearly our industry can support the cost of MEMS, and if it sounds like early reports say it does, than I don't think it will end up some niche product... I think a lot of IEM manufacturers will adapt the tech. And fairly quickly too, considering the speed with which this industry brings new products to market.

I fully expect to see more than one large IEM manufacturer debut a MEMS IEM at a 2024 CanJam, for instance.

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #25 of 81
Actually, Diablo-X features an internal component in form of a motherboard atop the original PCB. This extra circuit is dedicated to correctly bias the product's 4.4mm headphone out, so that it can accommodate xMEMS drivers.

What about conventional IEMs?

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #26 of 81
Does the line in “Easter Egg” still work ?
I was under the impression that it indeed does retain that function! I will check again to verify!

What about conventional IEMs?
Just to give my view of what we are looking at here...

I think the (Red) Diablo, and now the Diablo X should be thought of as sort of "brothers" so to speak. So if you are a person who is a fan of "Super Sensitive" IEMs I would stick with the original Diablo, even possibly using an IE Match if needed.

I personally have not owned any very sensitive IEMs so ECO and Normal were modes I always used depending on sound for conventional IEMs.

Now on to the new Diablo X. If you use full-size cans and conventional IEMs, and are looking to explore the new XMEMs Tech, then the X could be the way to go for you. I did not get a chance to demo it in New York, but all the feedback seemed to be the same: very impressive tech and unreal sound staging.

So again, back to the "brothers" scenario, we have two brothers here and both do most of the chores around the house together, but there are a few things that one can do that the other can't! Which "brother" you call would depend on your needs, but both are equally suited for "most" things.

Also at the moment, Diablo X is technically a "limited edition" product.

We will have to keep our eyes on the future for products that can potentially accomplish all of these needs in one unit, and as we all know that may, or may not come :wink:

Cheers!!

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #27 of 81
I was under the impression that it indeed does retain that function! I will check again to verify!

Just to give my view of what we are looking at here...

I think the (Red) Diablo, and now the Diablo X should be thought of as sort of "brothers" so to speak. So if you are a person who is a fan of "Super Sensitive" IEMs I would stick with the original Diablo, even possibly using an IE Match if needed.

I personally have not owned any very sensitive IEMs so ECO and Normal were modes I always used depending on sound for conventional IEMs.

Now on to the new Diablo X. If you use full-size cans and conventional IEMs, and are looking to explore the new XMEMs Tech, then the X could be the way to go for you. I did not get a chance to demo it in New York, but all the feedback seemed to be the same: very impressive tech and unreal sound staging.

So again, back to the "brothers" scenario, we have two brothers here and both do most of the chores around the house together, but there are a few things that one can do that the other can't! Which "brother" you call would depend on your needs, but both are equally suited for "most" things.

Also at the moment, Diablo X is technically a "limited edition" product.

We will have to keep our eyes on the future for products that can potentially accomplish all of these needs in one unit, and as we all know that may, or may not come :wink:

Cheers!!
I have to say most of my IEMs aren't very sensitive. The only exception might be the Fir Audio Rn6 and Kr5. I also have a few high impedance earbuds.

I'm actually considering buying Soranik's MEMS IEMs and I guess the Diablo X would be a nice addition. Soranik will bundle a energizer with their MEMS IEMs though.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #28 of 81
By some measure, we will all be "learning as we go" here as with any new tech.

The early impressions of those like @Pigeon X who have already heard this will give us valuable intel as to whether this is something for your individual consideration.

Cheers!!

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #29 of 81

What about an IEM that is currently using a MEMS driver without the energizer / amp as part of a hybrid setup (DD, BA and MEMS)? Will the MEMS output be too punchy for the "normal" drivers in the hybrid? Assume that will be the case, but just asking the question anyway.

IEM in question is the IMR Seraph - believe it's using a MEMS driver of some description without the additional step up voltage component to add a bit of mid and high detail to complement the full range DD and BAs in the design, with the bass dropping off due to being under driven. Just wondering if the diablo X would be an option for that.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 81
I'm confused on the purpose of having the 4.4mm outputs on opposite sides, disapointed to see no USBC input.
at $1100, this is an easy pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back