iFi audio LAN iSilencer - Your network. Silenced.
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #571 of 607
Photo April 10 2024.jpg

:grin:😨

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #572 of 607
This won't be an easy review.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #574 of 607
*Very* subtle differences, and placement in the chain also affects the presentation, making it very difficult to land on which combination is the best (feels like trying to pick a digital filter). I was about to throw everything out in frustration and just go back to enjoying music on stock WiFi, but now stumbled into having my DAC reclock things (versus let the USB control everything) affects presentation even more while retaining the ZStream's signature. Losing my s***.

charlie-day.gif

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #575 of 607
Dude, just wait till you try FMCs and the 100% galvanic isolation they bring (in combination with LAN iSilencers ™️ of course). Then in due course try - as I did last night - different/better SFP modules and find they sound quite different which messes with one's head and is entry to a hazy netherworld of SFP rolling. The ethernet chain audio optimisation rabbit hole goes deeper than you can imagine. Red pill /blue pill...

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #576 of 607
Dude, just wait till you try FMCs and the 100% galvanic isolation they bring (in combination with LAN iSilencers ™️ of course). Then in due course try - as I did last night - different/better SFP modules and find they sound quite different which messes with one's head and is entry to a hazy netherworld of SFP rolling. The ethernet chain audio optimisation rabbit hole goes deeper than you can imagine. Red pill /blue pill...

Zero chance I'll ever touch that stuff (thankfully)

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #577 of 607
Even though basic FMCs from AliX are less than $20? Just to immediately test your firmly stated resolve... 😄

It's a spaghetti junction of course so reason enough not to go there.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #578 of 607
$20 plus cables plus linear power supplies :fearful: all just to run the same network signal through a few more hoops to see if the power of other LPS's or the conversion process tweaks things in a more pleasing direction

Classic Sonic GIF v0.gif

...but this solely is a WiFi setup, and the goal for me is an internal WiFi alternative on short runs on minimal voltage, anything more would be headaches and spaghetti. And ultimately, finding a solution to no problem (since I was happy at the start of this)

I had the rack wheeled over to my desk all day to keep listening and testing around and now I think I'm on a chain that's working out, let's see how the weekend goes :/

TP-Link router > lan cable > D-Link 108 > iSilencer > lan cable > Zen Stream w/ WIFI ENABLED > USB cable > DAC w/ reclocking enabled

(edit: fuuuuu, nvm, too glassy, vocals clear but I'm getting a ton of fatigue)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #579 of 607
Good luck!

In trouble here. ZS reconnected after SPA treatment with LAN installed. Worked great first afternoon with Tidal Connect working at MAX with all sampling colors showing.

The VERY next day Tidal pushes out an update (to fix other problems) and now every time the sampling rate changes the stream gets dropped. Not true before the Tidal update. PIA!

And NOW my switch delivery has been delayed.

Hopefully not too painful a weekend.

S

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #580 of 607
Good luck!

In trouble here. ZS reconnected after SPA treatment with LAN installed. Worked great first afternoon with Tidal Connect working at MAX with all sampling colors showing.

The VERY next day Tidal pushes out an update (to fix other problems) and now every time the sampling rate changes the stream gets dropped. Not true before the Tidal update. PIA!

And NOW my switch delivery has been delayed.

Hopefully not too painful a weekend.

S
Now Tidal Connect is turning off.

But sounds good right before.

What a hobby!

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #581 of 607
Now Tidal Connect is turning off.

But sounds good right before.

What a hobby!

I do sometimes run in to Airplay disappearing so always have the webadmin bookmarked to go in and toggle it off and on again

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #582 of 607
I'm on the ropes and broke down in tears, resorting to EQ, which doesn't fix things but at least makes the decision more difficult

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #583 of 607
Sorry to hear it.

Filed a Tidal ticket with support.
Got a response with a new set of questions. 3 of 5 I answered in the initial request for assistance.

Will respond.

(Qobuz Connect SOS)

Switch due tomorrow, maybe.

LAN seems to be working (directly into ZS) when Tidal works.

Continued…

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #584 of 607
Credit to the networking enthusiasts, I didn't expect going into this that WIFI vs LAN would sound so objectively different, but here I am. Sadly it still puts me in a situation where while clarity improves, bass (and soundstage) is lost and I can't blame the iSilencer for that - it improves things - it just comes down to the router.

Since my goal was to use a 5v router to receive wifi, I dont even know what my other options would be. The TP-Link was the best of the 3 routers I tested and I'm not keen on buying a second LPS and a more expensive router just to get back where I started.

(assuming I decide to stick with internal wifi in the end. still deciding)

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #585 of 607
Credit to the networking enthusiasts, I didn't expect going into this that WIFI vs LAN would sound so objectively different, but here I am. Sadly it still puts me in a situation where while clarity improves, bass (and soundstage) is lost and I can't blame the iSilencer for that - it improves things - it just comes down to the router.

Since my goal was to use a 5v router to receive wifi, I dont even know what my other options would be. The TP-Link was the best of the 3 routers I tested and I'm not keen on buying a second LPS and a more expensive router just to get back where I started.

(assuming I decide to stick with internal wifi in the end. still deciding)
Hung up here as well. Awaiting Tidal support but not expecting too much.

Rearranged wiring which reduced drop outs but still present.

Switch allegedly arrives tomorrow but need system stable and in high form to A/B test D-Link vs Trend-Net.

To be continued…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back