Inception: Film of the Year?
Jan 11, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #181 of 220

Quote:
Quote:
One thing it has indeed accomplished is shown that it's still possible to get the majority of idiots to use their brain.

Well.....just because you can turn the car on doesn't mean you know where you are going or even how to drive.  That's the scary part I've been reading a lot of.

haha.
certainly true
But you still have to admit when stoners began to question their existence...

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #182 of 220

Inceptional polarization in a nutshell:

"Last week, Patrick Goldstein of The Los Angeles Times ran a provocative blog post about the mixed reception surrounding the film, Inception, [which quoted an earlier blog post by Jenkins]:

"If Inception plays especially strongly with a young audience, it's probably because they instinctively grasp its narrative density best, having grown up playing video games. "When it comes to understanding 'Inception,' you've got a real advantage if you're a gamer," says Henry Jenkins, who's a professor of communications, journalism and cinematic arts at USC. "Inception is first and foremost a movie about worlds and levels, which is very much the way video games are structured. Games create a sense that we're a part of the action. Stories aren't just told to us. We experience them.

"Even though the density of Inception can be off-putting to older moviegoers, it's a delicious challenge for gamers. "With Inception, if you blink or if your mind wanders, you miss it," says Jenkins. "You're not sitting passively and sucking it all in. You have to experience it like a puzzle box. It's designed for us to talk about, to share clues and discuss online, instead of having everything explained to us. Part of the pleasure of the movie is figuring out things that don't come easily, which is definitely part of the video game culture."

http://henryjenkins.org/2010/08/no_you_do_not_have_to_be_a_gam.html

I don't know... I found more intellectual stimulation in Angry Birds.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #183 of 220
Jan 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #184 of 220
That first paragraph needs to be replaced by something...anything.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #185 of 220
GAMING. Sigh

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #186 of 220
Inception- loved the graphics, loved the music, story was a bit lacking but I didn't expect much more for all the explaining and lack of explaining they already went through.

whooped the new Indiana Jones <---- P.O.S.

Inception is going in the direction away from where George Lucas is going... A plus in my book.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #188 of 220

Quote:
Inception- loved the graphics, loved the music, story was a bit lacking but I didn't expect much more for all the explaining and lack of explaining they already went through.

whooped the new Indiana Jones <---- P.O.S.

Inception is going in the direction away from where George Lucas is going... A plus in my book.

A plus.....oh boy. George Lucas is the man without him I would have never been insprired to take a lightsaber to a gun fight. Now I bring it with me every single time.

1+ For Ajax 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #190 of 220

I didn't have a hard time following it.  Try reading Dune.  After I read it, my head felt heavier.

Try "The Sot Weed Factor" by John Barth. Talk about a complex plot and characters who are never quite what they seem to be. Also a pants-wettingingly funny sendup of historical novels. It manages to straddle both highbrow literature and dirty jokes at the same time. An absolute classic.

The thing about "Inception" that gets me is the flat, soap-opera affect of the characters. Actually, Nolan has a problem with this in all of his movies. They're deadly serious and lacking in humor, entirely.

Not one of his movies (so far) will withstand the test of time. Each one is a fanboygasm.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #191 of 220
Why so serious??  Did you not see Heath Ledger as Joker?  I don't mind the monotone atmosphere of his movies.  He does it well and very few match it.  It's his style and it works when applied correctly.  I guess you didn't like Winter's Bone either due to lack of humor in the characters?  Not all plots and genres can lend themselves the opportunity to do that.  I agree Inception (Prestige also) did provide the opportunity and somebody like the Coen brothers would have developed the characters better in that regard.  I just couldn't take Inception seriously enough to care honestly.   

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #192 of 220

Quote:
Why so serious??  Did you not see Heath Ledger as Joker?  I don't mind the monotone atmosphere of his movies.  He does it well and very few match it.  It's his style and it works when applied correctly.  I guess you didn't like Winter's Bone either due to lack of humor in the characters?  Not all plots and genres can lend themselves the opportunity to do that.  I agree Inception (Prestige also) did provide the opportunity and somebody like the Coen brothers would have developed the characters better in that regard.  I just couldn't take Inception seriously enough to care honestly.   

Interesting but what's more interesting and crazy is Anax got banned! wow that's.....crazy.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #193 of 220
Anaxilus:
I don't mind the monotone atmosphere of his movies.  

Me either. I love the cool atmosphere. Nolan has reminded of Michael Mann a lot that way. Nolan is also great with the cityscapes. The guy can frame a scene with exteriors. For example, the great helicopter and train shots in Inception, or the opening grappling hook shot in The Dark Knight

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #195 of 220

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting but what's more interesting and crazy is Anax got banned! wow that's.....crazy.

Don't talk about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back