Inception: Film of the Year?
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #196 of 220
I really like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Inception. Their worlds are definitely a little one dimensional, but I really like them for what they are. One of my favorite things about them was the music. I really love the work of Hans Zimmer. I have the Pirates of the Carribbean soundtrack because I really like them and consider them a pure version of what the movies could have been. The Kraken theme from the second one, Dead Man's Chest, is one of the best low bass tracks I know. I turn my subwoofer up, I can shake the house easily with it. Anyway, Inception gets a lot of things right and never gets bogged down in its story like other movies tend to do. All the things about dreams resounded with me. How dreams seem right when you are in them, how you perceive things outside a dream and it usually gets integrated into your dream, and the other things. I was once sleeping and I started dreaming about the Weird Al song Don't Download this Song, and I woke up and the song was playing softly on my stereo. It was midnight and the alarm went off because I had no idea how to set it. Anyway, Inception was a good film that I now bought because it is fun to watch, pretty intelligent, a little thought provoking, and a great movie.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #197 of 220
1+

Didn't care to much for Batman Begins though. Inception of course.

Dark Knight - Heath Ledger's performance was great. Watching Jack Nicholson's performance I vote for Heath.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #198 of 220
There is one thing I would like to say about The Dark Knight. It is a wonderful allegory. 

Watch that movie again, place George Bush Jr. in the place of Batman. Seriously, the themes related to immediate post-911 United States are amazing, not just the obvious Joker terrorism metaphor. That really opened up the film to me, to the point where I sing its praises. 

*no political commentary intended, only an observation*

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #199 of 220

Quote:
There is one thing I would like to say about The Dark Knight. It is a wonderful allegory. 

Watch that movie again, place George Bush Jr. in the place of Batman. Seriously, the themes related to immediate post-911 United States are amazing, not just the obvious Joker terrorism metaphor. That really opened up the film to me, to the point where I sing its praises. 

Don't even get me started on 9/11 conspiracy theories :)

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #200 of 220
Nolan likes to mix philosophy into everything. Just watch "The Prestige."
If you saw Batman as George Bush, it's probably not intended, because I definitely did not. I just enjoyed it for all it's cinematic renditions of philosophical arguments 
popcorn.gif

Inception is just some more cinematic philosophical arguments. Ethics class with intense imagery XD

Quote:

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #201 of 220

Quote:
If you saw Batman as George Bush, it's probably not intended, because I definitely did not. I just enjoyed it for all it's cinematic renditions of philosophical arguments 
popcorn.gif

Inception is just some more cinematic philosophical arguments. Ethics class with intense imagery XD

1+ Speaking of The Prestige I need to re-watch that, I seriously didn't feel George Bush watching The Dark Knight....to each is own.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #202 of 220

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Quote:

dont get me wrong, i love inception, my favorite movie of the year. but i would not go so far as to call it an ethics class, in any way. if you want an ethics class on screen check out the tv show Dollhouse by Joss Whedon, though im sure there are movies just as good at it, just not inception.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #203 of 220

Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

Quote:

dont get me wrong, i love inception, my favorite movie of the year. but i would not go so far as to call it an ethics class, in any way. if you want an ethics class on screen check out the tv show Dollhouse by Joss Whedon, though im sure there are movies just as good at it, just not inception.

We all know your favorite movie is American Pie

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #205 of 220
Arguments about happiness were throughout. They were not as deep as classes we take, but come on! Give me a rotating room, a world upside down, and Hans Zimmer music and all my stress is gone. =) It seems like people that didn't like the movie were trying to see it as a means to argue. I don't know about you guys, but after watching it, I can survive another week of ridiculously tiring tax season and studies for examinations. I don't need a movie that makes me feel like I'm reading a textbook again. Few movies have left me so stress free. It was highly enjoyable for me.

For those that enjoy deep movies for when you really crave some epiphanies, I'd recommend you look into "Noriko's Dinner Table." It's a Japanese movie, but it's a work of art if you can enjoy world entertainment. Kind of slow and dark for some people.

Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #206 of 220
1+ 

I'll have to check it out I don't watch to many Jap movies looks extremely interesting funny I'm in a movie mood too. Currently watching Season Of The Witch.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #208 of 220
If you want a brighter mood, check out "Love Exposure." Same director. He's brilliant.

I will have to look into what Season Of The Witch is. My gf is trying to make me watch a Korean drama called Princess.... Geez...

Anyways, I'm sorry for derailing the thread.  I just think Inception is NOT as bad as some people want it to seem. Plus, I don't expect that much from mainstream Hollywood, so Inception was a great change from the typical.

Quote:
1+ 

I'll have to check it out I don't watch to many Jap movies looks extremely interesting funny I'm in a movie mood too. Currently watching Season Of The Witch.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #209 of 220

Quote:
 I just think Inception is NOT as bad as some people want it to seem. Plus, I don't expect that much from mainstream Hollywood, so Inception was a great change from the typical.

That it was....
See that's the problem with coming to this site to many recommendations and not enough time....seems great though I'll definitely have to check it out.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #210 of 220

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Not so much Batman as GWB, but I did see plenty of allegories regarding the rise of the domestic Homeland Security intelligence agency within the context of the new War On Terror paradigm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back