Introducing the ALO Audio Rx "Prescription" Mk2 Headphone Amplifier
Oct 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #76 of 92

Quote:
Hi Ken, too bad the rx II is sold out. I'm wondering do you have the solo/USB doc cable combo avalible? So is the solo basically a portable nds1/170i with a bad ass dac? How good is the solo lineout compare to the rwa imod+alo lod, and will imod benefit from the solo?

Last question, when can I get my hand on a rxII again?

Thanks!

Hi Jian,

The Solo is like a portable 170i - but with async mode USB conversion (much lower jitter) that offers very clean SPDIF digital output, is battery powered, very short and clean signal paths (required for the portable design), and yes, also a built-in Wolfson dac that is a big jump up in quality compared to the iMod. 

Regarding using the 5G/5.5G iPods (modded or not), it only works in extended mode (which means you can't navigate through your music.  You need to start playing your music and then connect to let it play through the solo.  This is the same with the Wadia / onkyo with 5th / 5.5th gen iPods. 

See the Solo thread on Kens forum and my more recent post there about all the Apple devices that are designed to work with the Solo, as well as where we are with this project...

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #78 of 92

Quote:
Hi Jian,

The Solo is like a portable 170i - but with async mode USB conversion (much lower jitter) that offers very clean SPDIF digital output, is battery powered, very short and clean signal paths (required for the portable design), and yes, also a built-in Wolfson dac that is a big jump up in quality compared to the iMod. 

Vinnie

Vinnie:

Just a quick question about the Wolfson dac that is in the Solo.  I thought the ipod/imod also uses wolfson dac also.  So how is it that "the Wolfson dac is a big jump in quality compared to the iMod?"  Is the solo's wolfson chip a better version than the imod's wolfson chip?  Did you look into the Sabre chip as it seem to be the more advance chip than the Wolfsons?  Thanks.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #79 of 92
Thanks Vinnie! Is there a button that I can press to pre order or register for notice when it's available? Couldn't wait!

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #80 of 92

Quote:
Vinnie:

Just a quick question about the Wolfson dac that is in the Solo.  I thought the ipod/imod also uses wolfson dac also.  So how is it that "the Wolfson dac is a big jump in quality compared to the iMod?"  Is the solo's wolfson chip a better version than the imod's wolfson chip?  Did you look into the Sabre chip as it seem to be the more advance chip than the Wolfsons?  Thanks.

Hi Jalo,

The Wolfson dac used in the Solo is their reference-level chip, and outputs 2Vrms.  The 4G, 5G/5.5G iPods also use a Wolfson dac and it outputs 1Vrms- but it is not of the same caliber as the one we are using in the Solo.  Another big difference compared to the iPod is that with the Solo, its Wolfson dac is fed I2S that is derived from Async-mode transfer of the Apple device's USB port, and then completely reclocked using a dedicated high-precision clock on the Solo board.  Quite a bit more expensive of an implementation, but well-worth it in terms of audio quality.

Yes, I tried the Sabre chip.  It looks nice on paper, but when listening to it compared to the Wolfson, it was not nearly as musical.  So it didn't make it into the design. 

Hi Jian,

No pre-order buttons - but you can register on the Cypher Labs website.  When we are ready, we'll email all of you. 

Have a nice weekend,

Vinnie

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #81 of 92
just tried my mk2 for the first time today and i was very impressed. the bass was rocking and i felt like i could get the volume higher vs the ttvj slim i have been using. this thing pushed my jh16's excellently. very happy so far.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #83 of 92
My son and I did a test between the Rx  and the MK II and my Sweat peach Tube amp. We both agreed the sound is fuller, richwe, and has more pop.My son said it sounds just like the tube amp. Amazing amp!

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #84 of 92

My son and I did a test between the Rx  and the MK II and my Sweat peach Tube amp. We both agreed the sound is fuller, richwe, and has more pop.My son said it sounds just like the tube amp. Amazing amp!

Yeah I like that pop a lot. So far my ttjv slim has been a "back up" lol. I have so much bass heavy music so it's fitting me a little better in those regards.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #85 of 92

Hi Jalo,

The Wolfson dac used in the Solo is their reference-level chip, and outputs 2Vrms. The 4G, 5G/5.5G iPods also use a Wolfson dac and it outputs 1Vrms- but it is not of the same caliber as the one we are using in the Solo....
Yes, I tried the Sabre chip. It looks nice on paper, but when listening to it compared to the Wolfson, it was not nearly as musical. So it didn't make it into the design.

Vinnie

Vinnie, if you know and can shed some light on the following comparison would be great, how is this reference-level Wolfson Chip with output 2Vrms compare to the PCM 1704 Dac chip? Thanks.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #86 of 92
Hi All,

Do I get it right that there is not a big difference whether the Solo is fed by an iPod or an iMod instead?
Also, what would be the path if I wanted to use the ALO P-VCAPS in addition to RX MK2 and Solo? WIll that be possible?

Thanks in advance.
Very thrilled by the way from these new additions.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #87 of 92

The mk2 is pushing both my 16's and 13's very, very well. The volume control is great. This is the first portable I have had that I will be keeping for a long time.

just tried my mk2 for the first time today and i was very impressed. the bass was rocking and i felt like i could get the volume higher vs the ttvj slim i have been using. this thing pushed my jh16's excellently. very happy so far.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #88 of 92

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Jian,

Vinnie

Vinnie:

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Jalo,

The Wolfson dac used in the Solo is their reference-level chip, and outputs 2Vrms. The 4G, 5G/5.5G iPods also use a Wolfson dac and it outputs 1Vrms- but it is not of the same caliber as the one we are using in the Solo....
Yes, I tried the Sabre chip. It looks nice on paper, but when listening to it compared to the Wolfson, it was not nearly as musical. So it didn't make it into the design.

Vinnie

Vinnie, if you know and can shed some light on the following comparison would be great, how is this reference-level Wolfson Chip with output 2Vrms compare to the PCM 1704 Dac chip? Thanks.

Hi Jalo,

I found the Wolfson to be warmer and richer sounding.

As an FYI:

I have finished my part of the development of the Solo, and today I have made the decision to resign from Cypher Labs.   I have been busier than ever with
Red Wine Audio products (especially since the introduction of the LFP-V Editions!), and need to devote my time to Red Wine Audio. 

I have enjoyed working with Ken and the Cypher Labs Team, and am confident that the Solo will be a huge success!

Ken at ALO will be handling all correspondence regarding the Solo going forward.

All the best,

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back