Introduction and Desktop Amp Recommendation
Jan 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

keaggy220

New Head-Fier
I recently became addicted to high-end headphones.  I tired out the HiFiMan HE-400, the PSB M4U 1 and the Sennheiser HD 600.  I decided to go with the Sennheiser HD 600.  I felt that they gave a bit more all-around detail, were the most neutral and had the tightest bass.  I love them.  Now I'm on the hunt for a nice desktop amp.  I'd like to keep it under $700.  I'm mainly driving them from an iPhone 6, iPad Mini or Macbook Pro.  I would prefer just a bit more bass, especially sub bass and a bigger soundstage with loads of detail.  I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly alternative, classical and pop.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 24
OK, so I have to ask...

Why didn't you just spend part of the $700 on headphones that actually sound the way you want, instead of now trying to modify the HD600 using an amp?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 24
First thing is are you interested in SS or tubes? I have a pair of HD600's which I really like and find that they measure up  well to cans that I paid much more for so I think you made a very good choice, I 'll also say that the HD600's are not that difficult to drive as some folks will try to make you believe.
I prefer SS as I am not a fan of the coloration that tube amps bring to the table, you might feel differently. Thinking to the future, are you interested in an amp that can also drive lower impedance cans, perhaps Planars?  So tell us what you're looking for?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 24
Well, I just think you have your budget upside down. I would have recommended you spend $900 on headphones and $200 on a Dac/amp.

The Sennheiser HD600 are not that difficult to drive - the impedance is high, but the sensitivity is not bad. The iPhone 6 is just really wimpy...

In fact, I *still* recommend you spend $200-$300 on a DAC/amp. You could get the Schiit Modi2+Magni2 or Modi2+Vali2 or ODAC+O2 or Audio-gd NFB 15 - or something in that range.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 24

Hi Stan,

I don't really have a preference on SS or Tube.  As I said in my original post I'd like just a bit more bass - keeping it really tight though, especially sub bass and a bigger soundstage with loads of detail.  If you know of either a SS or Tube amp that works well with the HD600 I'm all ears - sorry couldn't help it.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 24
No - I don't. I have read some reviews from people that I respect that liked it very much. Probably the one downside is that the tubes are really not replaceable.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 24

Billy, I still have time to return the HD600's.  I hesitate to do it because I do like them.  Do you have a more expensive headphone in mind that sound like the 600's with the a bit more bass - keeping it really tight though, especially sub bass and a bigger soundstage with loads of detail?  

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 24

Hi Stan,

I don't really have a preference on SS or Tube.  As I said in my original post I'd like just a bit more bass - keeping it really tight though, especially sub bass and a bigger soundstage with loads of detail.  If you know of either a SS or Tube amp that works well with the HD600 I'm all ears - sorry couldn't help it.

I have variety of equipment. To be honest a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC (which I've picked up recently) and a Magni 2 Uber Amp will do fine at a total cost of $300. I have the older version of this amp and it has plenty of clean power and will drive low impedance as well as 300 Ohm cans like the HD600's. I have more expensive Amps and DACs but I doubt that anyone will honestly hear much of any difference, unless they want to 
wink.gif
 which is not uncommon.
If you want to up the headphones you can get a great deal on HifiMan HE-500's which are Planars, low impedance and go to a more extended bass but are much heavier (I have these too). When I got them they were going for close to $900 but since a new model is out, I believe you can get them for as low as $500.
Quite frankly there is nothing negative with the HD600's. They were Sennhieser's flagship cans 19 years ago and are still very popular, are regarded as neutral. Other headphones have come and gone, these have been successful for so long for a good reason, they are superb, The HD650's were supposed to replace them, but customers kept buying these. The HD650's have a little more bass but also have a little less treble which was not to my liking and I do like bass. When I got the 600's I was aiming for the 700's or maybe fall back to the 650's. I tried everything up to the 800's which was above my budget at the time. In the end I went back 3 times to compare all of them because I liked the 600's the best even though I wasn't originally intending to get them. I kept going back to sell myself on the 700's or 650's but couldn't convince myself.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 24
Get the Schiit Modi.

Then get one of the Little Dot tube amps that support higher impedance headphones, and you can change the tubes out to manipulate the sound a little. Unless the Vali 2 is different from the first Vali, you cannot change the tube.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 24
Get the Schiit Modi.

Then get one of the Little Dot tube amps that support higher impedance headphones, and you can change the tubes out to manipulate the sound a little. Unless the Vali 2 is different from the first Vali, you cannot change the tube.

There is no such thing as a Vali 2.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 24
I also have nothing against the HD600 - I think it's a great headphone. I also think the Audeze LCD-2 is a better headphone in pretty much all the ways you specified.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 24
Basically what everyone is saying is that $700 amp is way overkill for $400 headphones. If you are happy with HD600, there's nothing wrong with that, and you don't have to feel obligated to upgrade. However in that case you are better off spending $300 on a nice amp/DAC combo and spending the rest on beer. :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 24
Basically what everyone is saying is that $700 amp is way overkill for $400 headphones. If you are happy with HD600, there's nothing wrong with that, and you don't have to feel obligated to upgrade. However in that case you are better off spending $300 on a nice amp/DAC combo and spending the rest on beer. :)

Or another good set of headphones, but different.

Sometimes open headphones are convenient. Sometimes it's good to have a great set of closed headphones. Some genres I prefer with some headphones than others :)

I wonder how many Head-Fier regulars there are that only have one set of headphones? LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back