Is there a risk shipping to international buyer?
Mar 4, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyotousa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The buyer is from Australia and pay with paypal. So I would not get seller protection.
If I ship with USPS EMI with insurance/tracking would I still be in risk of paypal chargeback?

yes, no seller protection and still at risk for chargebacks as well. because of those risks i only ship to confirmed addresses, which currently paypal only offers such validation in the US, UK, and Canada.

paypal will only accept online proof of delivery. so shipping items with paypal payments under $250 you need to ship it with a viewable online tracking number and over $250 a viewable online signature, which when shipping international is usually cost prohibitive.

if a buyer says "i didn't get it" and seller has no online proof, say bye-bye to the item and the money. if an unconfirmed address buyer claims someone fraudulently used my credit card, no matter how you tracked it or got an online signature, say bye-bye to the item and your money.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? My address is confirmed with Paypal and I'm in Australia.

X2.

Definitely confirmed addreses in Australia.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #20 of 29
last i spoke with paypal here in the states (two months ago), they indicated only US, UK and Canada addresses could be confirmed currently.

though, i believe you guys. to both of you--how long have you had your confirmed address?

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 29
i just shipped from japan to canada two things within a month of eachother without insurance or tracking (tracking don't seem to work overseas as it changes jurisdiction) and one arrived in 7 days phlat and the other 10! fine too, with no slaps from customs either!? why?

look at the scarlett johannson thread

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
last i spoke with paypal here in the states (two months ago), they indicated only US, UK and Canada addresses could be confirmed currently.

though, i believe you guys. to both of you--how long have you had your confirmed address?

My recollection is that I set it up when I entered my credit card details. I understand that is when it moves from being 'verified' to being 'confirmed'.

[size=medium]BUT I AM WRONG![/size] My apologies.

The reality in Australia is you can only be 'Verified', not 'Confirmed'.

To become 'Verified' we:
  1. Add a bank account by clicking on "Set up bank funding" on the left hand side of the Account Overview page. When prompted, enter our bank details and review our Bank Funding Agreement.
  2. Confirm our Nominated Bank Account - PayPal will deposit two small amounts into our Nominated Bank Account. When we receive our next bank statement, we make a note of these amounts, then log in to our PayPal Account and tell them what these two amounts are.
  3. PayPal may also request a Street Address Confirmation from us (which I did - and this is why I thought I was 'Confirmed'). In this case, PayPal mails a six-digit PIN to our home address. We are then prompted to enter the PIN when we next log in to our PayPal Account.
Apparently elsewhere - US, UK and Canada as 909 correctly implies - users can 'Confirm' their postal address by:

"Add a credit card to your PayPal account. By adding a credit card to your account, PayPal can attempt to confirm your address with your credit card company. If the credit card company is not able to confirm your address, you may be asked to complete the Expanded Use Enrolment process to activate your credit card. Your address can be confirmed after that process is complete. Note: Not all credit card companies are able to confirm addresses."

I would suggest current Australian privacy laws would prevent the credit card companies doing that which is why Australian addresses cannot currently be 'confirmed' that way.

O.k., enough of this learning - my apologies once agin - and time to go back to the headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Australian postal system is very good!

I wouldn't hesitate to sell to an Aussie
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish that applies to their mail/parcel re-direction system. It is not that bad but I have already gone through some bad experiences with them (redirected stuff never arrived at target PO, lodged a complaint with no helpful resolution, and only to get a 'final notice' card some 1-2 months later from the original PO that the item was still waiting for collection <- ridiculous). I am currently going through another re-direction process. Been one week already...

That's domestic to me (and more likely to the slackers working at my local PO) though. International shipments coming my way have never failed to show up, so you can be sure your outgoing mails into Australia will be in good hands.

Cheers!

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #26 of 29
I don't see why it should be a problem. You get a gut feeling about the buyer and his honesty by reading his mails along with his feedback.

I have never sold anything, but have bought some more or less expensive things from the US. Mostly ebay. Never had any problems.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I though paypal covered you no matter where you are? Is a payment abroad not still covered?

nope, paypal has specific requirements and if you don't follow them, you aren't covered. in fact, (i believe) paypal doesn't even provide seller/buyer protection for non-eBay transactions. even using a credit card does NOT provide the expected cc protections as they will abide by all paypal dispute resolution decisions. if paypal can't get the money back, the buyer doesn't get the money back (cc or not). at that point, paypal only closes the account and attempts to blocks them from opening a new account. granted i've never had a problem, but i try to reduce risk of loss and increase protection especially because i am not a merchant so i don't rationalize cost averaging losses due to theft or fraud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back