Joe Grado's new earpads for the HP1000
Apr 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

DannyB

500+ Head-Fier
I have had a pair of Joe's "improved" earpads for a couple of weeks. I thought I would post a little information for anyone who may be interested.

As far as how they sound, simply put, consider getting two pair. The HP1000 is soooo dependent upon the earpads. The replacement ones offered by TTVJ change the character of the headphones where it seems the sound is dulled possibly by mostly effecting the upper and mid upper range. The bottom end was also not very tight. While I am no expert I am guessing they are just too dense. They are not a great direct replacement the originals.

Joe's "improved" new pads do the trick and give new and sustained life to the HP1000 series. I compared them to the the original and TTVJ pads on my HP2i. Overall, the new pads attenuated the sound a little bit compared to the originals but sound at all frequencies were definitely improved. These earpads, for which Joe devised some process to allow more sound to flow from the drivers to the listener's ear, allows improved resolution at all frequencies, work very well and are an improvement even over the original pads. Any HP1000 owner should seriously consider getting them as no other earpad, including the original, sounds as good. Also, they nicely improve the sound on the SR225 and I suspect some other Grado headphones. Joe has done it again. Hopefully, some others will be able to chime in on these once they try them out. It is money well spent IMHO.

Joe is selling them for $150/pair. You can contact him directly at: 1-803-324-9768.

In the interest of Full Disclosure: I am a personal friend of Joe but am confident in my impression of the new earpads.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 90
Thanks for the info Danny!
I am waiting for my HP2 to come back with the new earpads. I hope they have longer lifespan than the old flats. $150 is a lot of money for a pair of earpads.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 90
Quote:
Are the new pads leather? Pictures would be great. Thanks.

Here's one

wait those could be normal flats as well... sorry for that

Not leather. They retained the same appearance overall. It's more like a treatment to the TTVJ ones, that changes their porosity / density.

You might will only feel the difference with music and maybe your hands, once you've bought them.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 90
I've got a pair on the way, will update this thread when I get them. If they're as good as everyone is saying, I will likely have to buy a pair or two more! I'm worried about how long they might last for though, the original pads only seem to last for about 4-5 years.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 90
Indeed
eek.gif

Though it is April 1st so maybe ?

Quote:
$150 for foam earpads? I will pass.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 90
Quote:
$150 for foam earpads? I will pass.

You need to approach it like: "150$ for Joseph Grado legend's service, on his own twenty years old headphone, incredible deal! even if it's just foam".

Come on you're paying for the chemicals to go in them also (apart from Joe's hand making)... a pair of bagel is already 55 on TTVJ.

Also these flats are said to last for a lifetime with minimal maintenance.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 90

Quote:
Indeed
eek.gif

Though it is April 1st so maybe ?

The original pads are $40 but only last about 4 years or so. Consideirng these might have a much longer life spand, have taken 25 years of R/D to produce and also improve the sound on a headphone that already cost in the $2k+ price range, $150 is really not that much.
The more crazy expense is the $1300.00 to upgrade the hp-1000s.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 90
Joe first told me about the new Pads a few weeks ago, as he was updating me on how my upgrade was going, and mine was one of the first sets to incorporate the new pads. He was extremely excited, and said output was increased as well as detail and bass response. The flats look exactly the same according to joe. I have about 1 hour left of work on them, so I'm excited to say the least.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 90

Quote:
The replacement ones offered by TTVJ change the character of the headphones where it seems the sound is dulled possibly by mostly effecting the upper and mid upper range. The bottom end was also not very tight. While I am no expert I am guessing they are just too dense. They are not a great direct replacement the originals.

I just re-read what you wrote and am a little confused by this. Are you implying that the TTVJ flat pads are not identical to the original pads used on the hp1000? From what Joe has told me they are exactly the same. Todd himself has said they are exactly the same and made by the same company.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 90
They aren't exactly the same

Mainly because of the cut ridges near the drivers (sliced vs. punched), the fact the older flats look spongier and has rounder edges. Also I wonder if the older flats came with that coating for added density at the back and at the front of the pads.

Modern flats:

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 90
TTVJ flat pads are identical to the original flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back