Joe Grado's new earpads for the HP1000
Apr 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 90
Its debatable. All the original flats are either too crumbly, or completely disintegrated. The original flats I did have that were still usable did look thinner and felt lighter, ttvj flats were thicker and more dense, but again that could be attribute to age. Only Todd and John Grado would know for sure, but I believe my memory tells me that todd had those ttvj flats made through the original company.

My discussions with joe conveyed he knew of todd and his flats and he endorses them currently. For all practical purposes we should assume they are the same, and joes pad mod mods either ttvj flats like mine that I sent in with my cans, or he mods one of his NOS batch of original flats.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 90
Foam changes a lot with time.  It changes in density and porosity, it changes the way it looks, changes shape, color, the way it reflects light, etc.  I've pulled out foam from the same models of old headphones and they have looked and felt completely different from age and conditions alone.  And they sound different too.  But I'm sure originally they were the same.

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 90

Quote:
...joes pad mod mods either ttvj flats like mine that I sent in with my cans, or he mods one of his NOS batch of original flats.

From the OP, I assumed that the "new" pads a completely new production of newly R&D-ed pads.

Which is it?
Is anyone who has the "new" pads getting their old pads back as well?

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #22 of 90
You can't pay by card mate. Money order or US check only.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #23 of 90

From the OP, I assumed that the "new" pads a completely new production of newly R&D-ed pads.

Which is it?
Is anyone who has the "new" pads getting their old pads back as well?

That is a good question, and now when I think about it, joe wasn't super clear when i spoke with him. To quote him to the best of my memory, he said he came up with a new earpad design for more output, better bass, and detail increased "400%". He said they look exactly the same as the original flats, but he figured out a way to modify the density of the foam. At the time it sounded like he was modding flats and not creating new ones, but as I replay the discussion I admit it is somewhat ambiguous.

I agree Whitney with your post and your observations are what I have found with the various hp1000s and rs1s I've owned.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #25 of 90

Quote:
And here I was thinking $70 for a pair of G-cushions was crazy.
I'll wait for the Chinese company that makes them to start selling them for 1/3 price on ebay.

I seriously doubt anyone will be able to copy these. The more likely situation is that Joe will run out/stop selling them soon and then the use sale price will skyrocket just like with all of his other products (sr100,sr200,sr300,hp1000, amp, vinyl parts and cables also)

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #26 of 90
Quote:
But how do we know those are the original flat pads? 

Because this RS1 was sold as a b-stock at a local audio consultant and they have probably never been used (inside their box not exposed to air they remained in good condition), and because they are vintage S with gold lettering that came with those old flats. Although it's still possible new flats has been bought for them at one point or another, the pads still looks very different from the flats my RS1 is using right now.

Quote:
I seriously doubt anyone will be able to copy these drivers. The more likely situation is that Joe will run out/stop selling them soon and then the use sale price will skyrocket just like with all of his other products (sr100,sr200,sr300,hp1000, amp, vinyl parts and cables also)

Totally

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #27 of 90

Quote:
And here I was thinking $70 for a pair of G-cushions was crazy.
I'll wait for the Chinese company that makes them to start selling them for 1/3 price on ebay.

Joe commissioned the company to make drivers to his specs, he didn't pick something out from a catalogue.
normal_smile%20.gif
  Unless the same procedure takes place, the drivers won't be the same.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #28 of 90

Quote:
Joe commissioned the company to make drivers to his specs, he didn't pick something out from a catalogue.
normal_smile%20.gif
  Unless the same procedure takes place, the drivers won't be the same.

lol I said drivers in my post at first too and had to edit. I guess we're also not use to the price of pads being this much that we keep calling them drivers!

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 90

Quote:
Quote:

Because this RS1 was sold as a b-stock at a local audio consultant and they have probably never been used (inside their box not exposed to air they remained in good condition), and because they are vintage S with gold lettering that came with those old flats. Although it's still possible new flats has been bought for them at one point or another, the pads still looks very different from the flats my RS1 is using right now.

Okay, but foam still ages inside the box.  The foam I was talking about pulling out of old headphones is damping foam that was inside a plastic enclosure and yet different pair's foam aged very differently and you'd think looking at them they were completely different materials.  But they were originally the same. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back