JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Nov 25, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #3,077 of 3,142
IMG_6377.JPG
Nice combo...

Nov 28, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #3,078 of 3,142
I just got the Japanese Victor HP-DX1000. Quite unique and different sounding from any other headphone I've heard before.

Are the drivers in these headphones biocelluose like the Fostex? It has the characteristics of the Fostex biocelluose drivers. Were the drivers made by Foster?

I've started to become a fan of these types of headphones when I got the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #3,079 of 3,142
I just got the Japanese Victor HP-DX1000. Quite unique and different sounding from any other headphone I've heard before.

Are the drivers in these headphones biocelluose like the Fostex? It has the characteristics of the Fostex biocelluose drivers. Were the drivers made by Foster?

I've started to become a fan of these types of headphones when I got the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony.
No, they are not biocellulose. Probably mylar.
Everything is made by Victor/JVC.
Welcome to the real dark side :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,080 of 3,142
No, they are not biocellulose. Probably mylar.
Everything is made by Victor/JVC.
Welcome to the real dark side :)
Are these semi-closed like the Fostex? Anybody compare these to the TH-900? Which sounds more resolving? And I don't mean more treble.

I like how smooth the treble is compared to the Fostex or EMU teak (which sounded a bit treble boosted and light weight), but also crisp at times with certain sounds. Large sound stage for a closed-back. I prefer not to amp it out of something warm. Prefer a cold source so that sound doesn't get too warm inside the cups, prefer more clarity and bass tightness.

I think mids could use a bit more articulation though, that's the only downside I can notice so far. I think closed-backs in general to some degree suffers this, but this one is probably the least of them out there. Still, clear sounding out of a colder source. I wouldn't want to make the mids any richer to cause a bit of bloominess, and reduced articulation.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #3,082 of 3,142
Are these semi-closed like the Fostex? Anybody compare these to the TH-900? Which sounds more resolving? And I don't mean more treble.

I like how smooth the treble is compared to the Fostex or EMU teak (which sounded a bit treble boosted and light weight), but also crisp at times with certain sounds. Large sound stage for a closed-back. I prefer not to amp it out of something warm. Prefer a cold source so that sound doesn't get too warm inside the cups, prefer more clarity and bass tightness.

I think mids could use a bit more articulation though, that's the only downside I can notice so far. I think closed-backs in general to some degree suffers this, but this one is probably the least of them out there. Still, clear sounding out of a colder source. I wouldn't want to make the mids any richer to cause a bit of bloominess, and reduced articulation.
I've had both, the th900 is more aggressive, more resilient and has better bass, but the jvc is more musical with more wood echo. I prefer JVC because it can cover a wider spectrum of musical styles, like hip hop, edm, pop and the like. The th900 is the best headphone for instrumental metal I've ever had, including utopia ...

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #3,086 of 3,142
I finally found replacement earpads for dx700/dx1000.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BGW...-for-many-headphones-headset/32877135026.html

I can't test how they sound right now but atleast they fit. I'm not sure if they're real leather but it is close as I can't tell. Memory foam is definately there. For the price they're great and if sound is good I propably use these over stock pads.

From left to right: Audeze, new pads, jvc
IMG_20190322_142704.jpg IMG_20190322_142739.jpg IMG_20190322_143056.jpg IMG_20190322_143111.jpg IMG_20190322_143116.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #3,087 of 3,142
Hi,

Headband broke ( Now holding with tape..its awful and not secure )

Any option for replacement/retrofitting

Any feedback appreciated.
What some other's have recommended, and I followed, was finding a Denon D2000/5000/7000 full headband assembly and just dropping the DX1000 earcups into it. The D7000s are also champagne coloured like the DX1000, so that's a real drop-in package, whereas the D2000/5000 frame is silver. Anyway, that's pretty much your only option.

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #3,088 of 3,142
I finally found replacement earpads for dx700/dx1000.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BGW...-for-many-headphones-headset/32877135026.html

I can't test how they sound right now but atleast they fit. I'm not sure if they're real leather but it is close as I can't tell. Memory foam is definately there. For the price they're great and if sound is good I propably use these over stock pads.

From left to right: Audeze, new pads, jvc
I forget what I ended up with, but I didn't find the earpad replacement to be such an issue.

What I'd worry about, though, would be those square openings you have on the new ones significantly changing the sound signature. Now, it might be to your liking, but all my experience with pad swapping has shown that the pads can really change how the headphones sound, and that's when I'm mostly comparing pads that are the same size and design with only material and angling differences.

Can you say how they sound so far? Any differences/feedback against the other ones?

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #3,089 of 3,142
IMG_20190323_195512.jpg @Benny-x it has been a strugle for me to find proper replacement pads. I'd love to hear which pads you used. Most large pads(audeze,akg,hifiman) either have a propriatary locking system or are glued on. In the past I've found just one pad that fits dx1000/dx700, philips sbc hp890.

I'm quite of a pad roller so I'm aware how much the pads can change the sound. It's indeed a thing that many people neglect. On my initial listen I felt that new pads have a bit stronger bass and more recessed highs. Not necessarely a bad thing, considering highs are a bit grainy on dx700/dx1000 and the bass and midrange is where they shine.

I don't have that much time to get into comparing the two, so I did one better. Here are the pads measured.

upload_2019-3-23_20-26-22.png

Differences between the pads are so small that one can blame measurement/positioning of the headphones on the measurement rig. Mostly it is within 3db which is the limit of audible volume change for most people. Also volume is not 100% matched so some differences are sure to occur. Anyway, between the pads the differences are so small that I highly recommed trying a pair. If those chi-fi pads run out getting replacements is once again a trouble.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #3,090 of 3,142
@Benny-x it has been a strugle for me to find proper replacement pads. I'd love to hear which pads you used. Most large pads(audeze,akg,hifiman) either have a propriatary locking system or are glued on. In the past I've found just one pad that fits dx1000/dx700, philips sbc hp890.

I'm quite of a pad roller so I'm aware how much the pads can change the sound. It's indeed a thing that many people neglect. On my initial listen I felt that new pads have a bit stronger bass and more recessed highs. Not necessarely a bad thing, considering highs are a bit grainy on dx700/dx1000 and the bass and midrange is where they shine.

I don't have that much time to get into comparing the two, so I did one better. Here are the pads measured.

Differences between the pads are so small that one can blame measurement/positioning of the headphones on the measurement rig. Mostly it is within 3db which is the limit of audible volume change for most people. Also volume is not 100% matched so some differences are sure to occur. Anyway, between the pads the differences are so small that I highly recommed trying a pair. If those chi-fi pads run out getting replacements is once again a trouble.
Wow, that actually seems to be an improvement!
I'll have to order a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back