Keyboards?
May 27, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #196 of 235
I had problems with the black on black 660C keycaps so I swapped out some white ones from my 980C.

FC660C.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #198 of 235
Hey guys, I have some Model Ms (even one in a factory sealed box), two almost dead Filcos, and have been using mostly HyperX keyboards since they had the switches I wanted (Cherry brown or blue) and a very stiff housing with no flex. I actually thought it was all-aluminum but now I'm not sure.

I want to get another 1 or 2 keyboards for daily use. The HyperX I used to buy is no longer available.

My priorities are reliability and build quality uberalles. I want a switch with positive feedback like the Cherry browns. I don't game, I write software. I want doubleshot keys, TKL, detachable USB cable, and backlighting although it doesn't have to be programmable.

What should I look at these days? Thanks.

Sep 2, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #199 of 235
I have a Code with clear mx that I've had for a few years. I love it.

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #200 of 235
20220902_165900.jpg

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #203 of 235
split keyboard fan checking in.
Currently using Sinc with custom Linear Boba switches (45g springs) and have 2 Quefrencies, 1 Sinc, 1 Ergodox, 1 Ergodash (all built myself) and Kinesis Freestyle which I don’t use.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #204 of 235
What should I look at these days? Thanks.

If you are willing to go ortholinear / columnar stagger - maybe Iris, Lilly58, Redox etc

Otherwise look into keeb.io boards - I am not affiliated but have like 4 of them. Sinc is my favorite for desktop work, Quefrency - for travel.

There is also a project I am involved in, we are making an 80% Redox sort of. With function, macro row and arrows. For desktop use. Will be open-source, of course.

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #205 of 235
Splits are definitely not for me. Also no weird formats. Just a solid board with no flex, and tactile switches.

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #206 of 235
Splits are definitely not for me. Also no weird formats. Just a solid board with no flex, and tactile switches.
Ah, they are all identical pretty much then just get the cheapest and if you are ok with swapping switches get Boba U4 for tactile. As an swe I’d steer clear from production stuff (Razer, Corsair) and anything that doesn’t support QMK.

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #207 of 235
Ah, they are all identical pretty much then just get the cheapest and if you are ok with swapping switches get Boba U4 for tactile. As an swe I’d steer clear from production stuff (Razer, Corsair) and anything that doesn’t support QMK.
It's hard to find details now and the market is flooded with crap mechanicals in plastic housings. The HyperX I used to buy is not made anymore. They have new models with their own switches I never heard of.

What's QMK?

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #208 of 235
What's QMK?
QMK is the open source keyboard firmware so you can adjust the layers, make them programmablex, macros etc.

There are GUIs (Via and Vial) that make it all no-code if you want.

For production I heard good things about Razer (they make their own switches) but I hate those corporate ecosystems as they always install some crazy software or don't have cross-platform etc. etc. I used to buy Logitech stuff but I'd rather drink a bottle of old Log4j than let Logi Hub anywhere near my computer again

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #209 of 235
I have been using a Corsair K70 for the longest time. Finally ready to change and go bluetooth. Swapped it out for a Corsair K63 which I use for media station/TV, missing the 10-key. I was close in ordering the Logi MX..... but I just know I would miss the mechanical keys. So I just ordered the Keychron K10 aluminum with swappable switches.

design-medium.jpg

Partial to red switches. Can also swap out the switches in addition to the keys in the future if I need to.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #210 of 235
Logitech g910
IMG_5928.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back