Keyboards?
Mar 16, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #34 of 235
Das Keyboard II.

But really, I've also been looking for a standout keyboard for a while now. Most are just okay... I've gone back and forth between the Saitek Eclipse II, Microsoft Natural 4000, and one of the many IBM Model M types with spring-loaded keys, but there's no clear winner in my mind.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #35 of 235
Since I type Dvorak, I've been on the lookout for something with dual-labeled keys (for the wife) or a hardware switch, but I haven't found anything cheap.

I've also thought about bisecting a cheapy and velcroing the halves to my chair's armrests, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #36 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I type Dvorak, I've been on the lookout for something with dual-labeled keys (for the wife) or a hardware switch, but I haven't found anything cheap.

I've also thought about bisecting a cheapy and velcroing the halves to my chair's armrests, but I haven't gotten around to it.

If you can type Dvorak, you can probably touch-type, so why do you need labels?

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #37 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I type Dvorak, I've been on the lookout for something with [size=small]dual-labeled keys (for the wife)[/size] or a hardware switch, but I haven't found anything cheap.

that is probably why...

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #39 of 235
Labtec.com > Keyboards > labtec® media keyboard

Great keyboard for the money, around £5 a year ago. Black so matches my desktop gamer, good array of hotkeys that incorporate nicley into winamp with rmx-media plugin (for other players too) but not too many and most importantly is still going strong, and has a good feel to it, for my liking.

Black starts to look greasy quickly though.

And my Tosiba A100's keyboard.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #40 of 235
I do, and always have, just used standard keyboards, and I don't bother to relabel the keys. This also adds a hardware encryption layer to my computers
smily_headphones1.gif
. A dual labeled one would come in handy, though; because my system and xserver are setup dvorak, even my login screens and are dvorak, which results in wifey learning some seriously strange passwords. The wife also wishes to learn the superior keyboard layout.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #41 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1993 Vintage Model M IBM keyboard with detachable RJ47 to PS/2 connector, in spanish, when civilization ends, there will be cockroaches, Atari 2600 ET cartriges, and IBM model M keyboards,

Great keyboard! My M is from 1994 or 1996, as far as I remember. It is produced by Lexmark, and it is one of the latter model with no detachable wire. Great keyboard though. The M model beats any cheap Logitech.
-Rasmus

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #43 of 235
I'm also using the Microsoft Natural 4000 Keyboard. One big perk of it is how it elevates and tilts your wrists. Almost like you're palming a ball with both hands, very comfortable. I've never gotten wrist strain while using this keyboard.

I've attached a few pictures below (excuse the quality, taken with my camera phone, my DSLR's at home)

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #44 of 235
Currently using a 108 key Deck Legend Ice.

thinking about getting a Filco-N-roll over with "tea color" key

But Filco are not available in America
frown.gif

and the other "help you order" (forgot the exact term) site charge high price for the import.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #45 of 235
I am currently using the cheapest, standard-generic 105 key layout I can find (Emprex 5105U - $9.99 at Fry's). Being a lefty gamer I find the arrow key/accessory key/numpad arrangement on standard keyboards better ergonomically than resorting to aftermarket keypads, etc. I was using a Saitek gaming keyboard, and will probably get an Eclipse II as I've enjoyed the backlit facing, but had issues with an IBM DP35DP non-legacy port motherboard - when installing XP, it would not recognize the Saitek and I could not select options to get the installation going! A generic USB keyboard was the answer and this Emprex has soft-touch keys and the aforementioned standard layout (w/also a straight bottom edge to fit a wristrest). A fan of the old IBM 'clickers' and early Compaq soft-touch keyboards, I'm finding it harder and harder to find acceptable newer alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back