Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #18,676 of 63,958
Nail clippers do the job but you just need to take your time and make sure you're just cutting the outer wrap and not touching the inside.
I already have 1 casualty cable - the original one that came with my zs3.

Also i'm pretty sure the distortion on the ZS5 is the problem i'm having. It just doesn't sound right. I'm not sure what it is. I thought it was the mids at first but now i'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my ZS5 in particullar. It's almost like the sound is not coherent.

I don't have any distortion with my ZS5 at the volume setting I'm listening to.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #18,677 of 63,958
The metal wire and the actual cable are sheathed under those heat shrink wrap. I line up the metal wire facing up, then use a box cutter to shave off the edge of the heat shrink wrap with the metal wire underneath, so there's limited risk in cutting into the actual cable. Once the heat shrink wrap is taken off, then use either a nail clipper (altho you might ding it up) or just bend the wire back and forth (what I did) and eventually it'll snap off. Trim the remaining heat shrink wrap if there's any left.

Thanks. The standard cable was easy work, with the wrapping removable by finger nail. The silver cable was a bit trickier work as it stuck to the cable itself, so required quite a bit more effort to thoroughly remove.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #18,678 of 63,958
Thanks. The standard cable was easy work, with the wrapping removable by finger nail. The silver cable was a bit trickier work as it stuck to the cable itself, so required quite a bit more effort to thoroughly remove.
What's everyone using to remove the memory wire? I know some people mention nail clippers, but it's an awfully thin pvc which makes me slightly wary. Then again if I mess up, I do have the other cable.

True, the standard cable is easier. I just tore it out with moderate force and used pliers to remove it from the connector housing. The silver cable's sheathing is of a sturdier material and should probably be handled with more care.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #18,679 of 63,958
Legit question: Does 'burn in' can fix a dynamic driver that produce an unwanted trembling sound?

Again, I have received a problematic KZ unit. This time I ordered a KZ ZST candy version and it sounds like the right unit have less bass, and if I tested it with oscillator, it will give an obvious trembling-like sound when producing sine wave at around 60 Hz frequency. My best guess is that the dynamic driver probably either have a pierced diaphragm or loose voice coil, though maybe the diaphragm not flexible enough and requires a burn in? Idk. Previously I bought a carbon KZ ZST and the left unit have the same problem. Tried to fix my carbon ZST but ended up tearing the dynamic driver and the connecting voice coil when prying it.

Seriously what the hell, 2 out of 3 purchase have QC issue. I want to return this unit, but since return and resend fee is not free from this seller, and I'll be pissed if I receive another defective unit.
Really wondering what sheaningans awaits for those who already bought the ZS5 and expecting the upcoming ZSR.

Side note: I'm loving this new candy ZST cable with memory wire. That ZST carbon cable with weights is probably the dumbest idea I've ever seen.

u77aDAS.jpg
You can try pairing your Right Carbon ZST with the Left Colorful ZST. I think that would look pretty nice.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #18,680 of 63,958
Legit question: Does 'burn in' can fix a dynamic driver that produce an unwanted trembling sound?

Again, I have received a problematic KZ unit. This time I ordered a KZ ZST candy version and it sounds like the right unit have less bass, and if I tested it with oscillator, it will give an obvious trembling-like sound when producing sine wave at around 60 Hz frequency. My best guess is that the dynamic driver probably either have a pierced diaphragm or loose voice coil, though maybe the diaphragm not flexible enough and requires a burn in? Idk. Previously I bought a carbon KZ ZST and the left unit have the same problem. Tried to fix my carbon ZST but ended up tearing the dynamic driver and the connecting voice coil when prying it.

Seriously what the hell, 2 out of 3 purchase have QC issue. I want to return this unit, but since return and resend fee is not free from this seller, and I'll be pissed if I receive another defective unit.
Really wondering what sheaningans awaits for those who already bought the ZS5 and expecting the upcoming ZSR.

Side note: I'm loving this new candy ZST cable with memory wire. That ZST carbon cable with weights is probably the dumbest idea I've ever seen.

What about just using your 1 good right carbon with your 1 good left colorful?

I know that doesn't address your QC complaints, but at least you'd have a working pair of ZSTs with good sound.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #18,681 of 63,958
I don't have any distortion with my ZS5 at the volume setting I'm listening to.
There is obviously a thing of how loudly you may wish / do listen...

The ZS5 crumbles at about 3/5 volume on iPhone 7, but the ZST keeps going and going...

The ZS5 sounds relatively nice at low volumes though :)

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #18,682 of 63,958
Jul 5, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #18,683 of 63,958
There is obviously a thing of how loudly you may wish / do listen...

The ZS5 crumbles at about 3/5 volume on iPhone 7, but the ZST keeps going and going...

The ZS5 sounds relatively nice at low volumes though :)
My ZS5 sounds also ok and haven`t noticed any distortion yet... but I haven`t gone much over my regular head-banging vol level though.
Driving my ZS5 with iBasso DX5X (upgraded opamps and other little bits) + custom FW and FLAC files.
Also haven`t tried other gear yet. Will leave feedback if I get distortion somehow.
So far, I still rate them #1 KZ IEM sonically.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #18,684 of 63,958
Still waiting on my ZS5's to get here but ZST is still KZ king for me at the moment:wink:

ZSToPUS.JPG

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #18,685 of 63,958
Yes, the ZST is slightly more efficient than the ZS5 probably because it's easier to drive 2 drivers per side as opposed to 4 drivers per side on the ZS5. ZST plays slightly louder and sound more dynamic on my S7 Edge compared to ZS5. Mids on the ZST is a little more forward than the ZS5 too.

I think you might be right. When sufficient power is sent to the ZS5 the ZST is no match imo...no breaking up on the 5 when it is amped...very impressive sound overall. ..

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #18,686 of 63,958
I think you might be right. When sufficient power is sent to the ZS5 the ZST is no match imo...no breaking up on the 5 when it is amped...very impressive sound overall. ..

So basically am I understanding this correct in that the distortion people are reporting is because the ZS5 needs to be amped for best performance? And once amped, the ZS5 can be cranked with no distortion?

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #18,688 of 63,958
I'm listening to my ZS5 at 60% - 70% on my iPhone 6S and there's no distortion, with the Cozoy Aegis it's about 30% and no distortion but I wouldn't put it much louder as it'd damage my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back