L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #6,586 of 6,808
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #6,587 of 6,808
Arguing with guys on ASR is a full time job, I'm beat!
I had thought things finally fizzled out around page 19..man I have a lot of reading to catch up on...

Also I don't think I've seen a single post by GaryH, whoever he is, but I love how adamant he is about liking all the most stubborn ASR posts.

1702433406074.png

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #6,588 of 6,808
I had thought things finally fizzled out around page 19..man I have a lot of reading to catch up on...

Also I don't think I've seen a single post by GaryH, whoever he is, but I love how adamant he is about liking all the most stubborn ASR posts.

He is remarkably consistent. I almost commented on it after one such post, "I hear GaryH's foosteps in 3...2...1..."

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #6,589 of 6,808
Well jumping over to ASR to try and see what you were arguing about is 5 minutes I will never get back!
Can’t wait for the Aegis to become more widely available with the ZMF partnership. Watching people listen to the Airmid and Aegis at the local meet I went to was much fun.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #6,590 of 6,808
Well jumping over to ASR to try and see what you were arguing about is 5 minutes I will never get back!
Can’t wait for the Aegis to become more widely available with the ZMF partnership. Watching people listen to the Airmid and Aegis at the local meet I went to was much fun.

It's a lot of nonsense, really just a waste of time. But once you get a taste for blood, you can't stop!

Yeah me too, even if I haven't blind tested it against a Topping amp.

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #6,591 of 6,808
Ashamed to say it but I have been experimenting with transistors of late. Went looking to pick up a cheap turntable to test out my parents record collection and somehow ended up with a Sansui 7070 from 1976. (That’s the story I told my better half.). Maybe transistors age like tubes? Despite 50+ year old caps this amp is a lot of fun on the Atrium and 6xx. Downside (?) is a ton of trying to come up to speed on what a NPN is versus a PNP. Should be a fun winter project.
IMG_5096.jpeg

Dec 12, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #6,592 of 6,808
Ashamed to say it but I have been experimenting with transistors of late. Went looking to pick up a cheap turntable to test out my parents record collection and somehow ended up with a Sansui 7070 from 1976. (That’s the story I told my better half.). Maybe transistors age like tubes? Despite 50+ year old caps this amp is a lot of fun on the Atrium and 6xx. Downside (?) is a ton of trying to come up to speed on what a NPN is versus a PNP. Should be a fun winter project.

You should talk to @Monsterzero , this is right up his alley!

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #6,593 of 6,808
@Monsterzero and his recommendations are the reason I bought this one as well as the Airmid. Is there a way to block Headfiers recommendation's to protect one’s wallet? The Sansui is the first “sounds warm like a tube amp” that I have found to be in the realm of truth. Piety was fun but I would never choose it over Airmid/Aegis/Schitt Coaster :)

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #6,594 of 6,808
Arguing with guys on ASR is a full time job, I'm beat!

It's a lot of nonsense, really just a waste of time. But once you get a taste for blood, you can't stop!
Boggles my mind that smart people like you, waste their time arguing over there. I only visited ASR a couple of times when I was new to this hobby YEARS ago. Quickly realized it is a hostile environment, and a waste of my time. You (and @zach915m) should stop wasting your time there... :unamused:

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #6,596 of 6,808
Boggles my mind that smart people like you, waste their time arguing over there. I only visited ASR a couple of times when I was new to this hobby YEARS ago. Quickly realized it is a hostile environment, and a waste of my time. You (and @zach915m) should stop wasting your time there... :unamused:
I agree! Life is too short. . .

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #6,598 of 6,808

I've made my exit. Yes, life is too short. I used to get fired up and get into this discussions, but at the end, nothing is ever accomplished. The hope is that maybe you've made a few people question their beliefs, but most are far too entrenched to do that at this point.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #6,599 of 6,808
I ordered the new chassis for my HY69 amp to account for the toroidal transformers. New dimensions are 13.5" x 16" x 3.25", so half an inch wider and 1.5" deeper. Overall, I think the noise floor will be much improved using these mains transformers and it will be all the way done afterward :)

HY69 Toroid.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #6,600 of 6,808
@EtyDave got around to replacing the belt in the Sony WM-WE01 you gave me. W+F improve from 0.4% with peaks of 0.9% to 0.18% with peaks of 0.3%, right on spec.

WM-WE01 WF.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back