L0rdGwyn's DIY Audio
Feb 11, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #6,661 of 6,808
Are those ZMF Bokeh headphones?

Yes they are, listening to Atrium closed while listening in this picture, both great headphones!

Feb 11, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #6,662 of 6,808
Glad I could help @Nayyte .

I went from cap in the signal path battery bias back to battery in the signal path battery bias. No doubt battery in the signal path is better, dramatically. I thought I was getting over my capacitorphobia but I think it's here to stay.

I’m getting Metropolis movie vibes from your amp… :)

1707699990239.jpeg

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #6,663 of 6,808
I've been pretty busy lately, so haven't had much to update on, but here's where I'm going next.

The EAD-DSP 7000 I picked up is on it's way to Noble Electronics for a internal refurbishment, looking forward to getting that back and permanently into my two-channel system.

Dave Slagle is going to wind me a new pair of output transformers for my HY69 headamp. While I really like the sound of the amplifier as is, the transformers were not specifically wound for this type of circuit. They work well but are not optimized, and seeing this is going to be my main amplifier going forward, it really needs to be perfect in my mind. So new transformers it will be. What to do with the existing transformers, which as I've said belong in an Aegis or Aegis-like circuit, is to be determined.

Since Dave is already winding me some output transformers, I've decided to go all in for my LCR phono stage: he is going to wind me a pair of MC step-up transformers as well. As such, I am going to start working on my phono stage in earnest since very soon I will have everything I'll need for the build. Rather than a two-chassis design, I've decided I'm going to do a single chassis with a divider in between the power supply and signal portions. That is in part due to the nature of the high transconductance tubes being used, each will require its own dedicated DC heater regulator, which makes the practicality of using a two-chassis solution with an umbilical very low. I will use Toroidy again for a custom toroidal power transformer. The power supply will be dual mono with each channel having its own B+ regulator.

This is going to be a complex build. It very well may be the most expensive single audio component I've ever made given the custom iron going inside: Slagle MC SUTs, LCR inductors, and two sets of interstage transformers.

Here's the most updated schematic. Should be one heck of a piece of gear and a phono worthy of use for the rest of my life! I've been collecting tubes and parts for this build for around two years, finally time to build it.

LCR Phono.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #6,664 of 6,808
I've been pretty busy lately, so haven't had much to update on, but here's where I'm going next.

The EAD-DSP 7000 I picked up is on it's way to Noble Electronics for a internal refurbishment, looking forward to getting that back and permanently into my two-channel system.

Dave Slagle is going to wind me a new pair of output transformers for my HY69 headamp. While I really like the sound of the amplifier as is, the transformers were not specifically wound for this type of circuit. They work well but are not optimized, and seeing this is going to be my main amplifier going forward, it really needs to be perfect in my mind. So new transformers it will be. What to do with the existing transformers, which as I've said belong in an Aegis or Aegis-like circuit, is to be determined.

Since Dave is already winding me some output transformers, I've decided to go all in for my LCR phono stage: he is going to wind me a pair of MC step-up transformers as well. As such, I am going to start working on my phono stage in earnest since very soon I will have everything I'll need for the build. Rather than a two-chassis design, I've decided I'm going to do a single chassis with a divider in between the power supply and signal portions. That is in part due to the nature of the high transconductance tubes being used, each will require its own dedicated DC heater regulator, which makes the practicality of using a two-chassis solution with an umbilical very low. I will use Toroidy again for a custom toroidal power transformer. The power supply will be dual mono with each channel having its own B+ regulator.

This is going to be a complex build. It very well may be the most expensive single audio component I've ever made given the custom iron going inside: Slagle MC SUTs, LCR inductors, and two sets of interstage transformers.

Here's the most updated schematic. Should be one heck of a piece of gear and a phono worthy of use for the rest of my life! I've been collecting tubes and parts for this build for around two years, finally time to build it.

LCR Phono.png

That is excellent. A high quality tube phono stage to replace my 20+ year old EAR 834P is on my list of eventual projects. I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #6,665 of 6,808
That is excellent. A high quality tube phono stage to replace my 20+ year old EAR 834P is on my list of eventual projects. I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Thanks! Should be interesting, I picked up the Analog Discovery 3 specifically to take measurements of RIAA compliance.

Other random stuff, getting a dedicated audio rack for my headphone setup (this is long overdo, not enough desk space for all this gear). I'm also probably going to be putting my 6A5G SET speaker amplifier up for sale on diyAudio, since I'm no longer allowed to sell gear on Head-Fi. It just isn't being used, think it belongs elsewhere if someone is willing to commit to weird (albeit great sounding) 4V input tubes.

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #6,666 of 6,808
Feb 25, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #6,667 of 6,808
If budget allows, might I recommend going with silver windings. Slagle accidentally wound a copper primary and silver secondary for a friend of mine and you can see how even that out-resolved Slagle’s copper only SUT. Another friend who has heard the full silver, says it is among the best SUT he has heard and is worth every penny.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...stin-mini-meet-impressions.13465/#post-408708

I don't doubt it, but considering this is already going to be a $4K+ phono stage, probably will just stick to copper! The $2.2K markup for the silver SUTs sounds pretty painful lol I'd probably rather spend that on a new cartridge. Thank you for the insight though! I'll keep it in mind as a future upgrade path.

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #6,668 of 6,808

LCR Phono.png
Welcoming you soon to the LCR world. Mick from Supratek says the Grange LCR is the best he can make, so I really think I have my last phono stage. Obviously would love to hear yours as well.

Feb 25, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #6,669 of 6,808
I'd probably rather spend that on a new cartridge.
I've had a Benz LP-S for the longest time, but I wouldn't mind trying a different cart as well sometime. Let me know what short-list you come up with.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #6,670 of 6,808
Welcoming you soon to the LCR world. Mick from Supratek says the Grange LCR is the best he can make, so I really think I have my last phono stage. Obviously would love to hear yours as well.
I've had a Benz LP-S for the longest time, but I wouldn't mind trying a different cart as well sometime. Let me know what short-list you come up with.

Thanks! The Grange looks very nice, I'm sure it sounds great. For the cart, I'm interested in the Hana ML, or perhaps a Sumiko at a similar price point, quite a bit cheaper than the Benz but seems to punch above its price point. Although seems like the current iteration of the LP-S has gone up in price, more than I'd ever pay for a cartridge at over $5K, youch.

Went to my storage unit to grab some of the parts going in this phono so I can start working on the layout. Here's the major stuff, both sets of interstage / line output transformers for the D3a and E55L, and two sets of LCR inductors. Have some nice ceramic Soviet magnoval sockets for the E55L. Probably will use the same shielded ceramic Cinch 9-pin sockets I used in my HY69 amp for the D3a. I have some 15-20 pairs of each tube collected over a period of time, they are getting hard to find and expensive. Just need those MC step up transformers. Once I nail down all the AC voltage needs for the various regulators in this design, I'll order the custom power transformer from Toroidy.

PXL_20240226_173533175.jpg

I plan to design the chassis like below, one enclosure but with a divider in between the power supply and amplification sections. The divider will have holes for routing DC wiring in between. Keeps AC noise as well as rectifier current spikes away from the sensitive gain stages and inductors.

03.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #6,671 of 6,808
So I changed my mind, going to do a two-chassis solution for this phono.

Here's my first draft of the signal chassis layout, dimensions 15.5" x 10" x 3.25". Planning to put the heater regulators in the power supply chassis (there will be four of them). I'll run the outputs of those through the umbilical and have some high and low frequency decoupling at each tube's individual heater. For the B+ regulators, will run choke-filtered raw DC through the umbilical and then have the regulators right at the input of the umbilical (red blocks). I need to design a small PCB for the remainder of the RIAA filter components that will mount in the center of the LCR chokes. Signal flow will be front-to-back: 3-pin XLR inputs (magenta blocks) > MC SUTs (green blocks) > D3a stage > LCR RIAA > E55L > RCA outs.

I feel good about this draft, came together quicker than I thought it would. Will stare at this for a few days and work out any kinks, then power supply chassis.

LCR Phono Chassis Draft.png

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #6,672 of 6,808

Here's my first draft of the signal chassis layout, dimensions 15.5" x 10" x 3.25". Planning to put the heater regulators in the power supply chassis (there will be four of them). I'll run the outputs of those through the umbilical and have some high and low frequency decoupling at each tube's individual heater. For the B+ regulators, will run choke-filtered raw DC through the umbilical and then have the regulators right at the input of the umbilical (red blocks). I need to design a small PCB for the remainder of the RIAA filter components that will mount in the center of the LCR chokes. Signal flow will be front-to-back: 3-pin XLR inputs (magenta blocks) > MC SUTs (green blocks) > D3a stage > LCR RIAA > E55L > RCA outs.

I feel good about this draft, came together quicker than I thought it would. Will stare at this for a few days and work out any kinks, then power supply chassis.

It's the best way :) I also have four tubes in the power supply chassis.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #6,673 of 6,808
It's the best way :) I also have four tubes in the power supply chassis.

Yeah as I was working out the pseudo two-chassis solution I wasn't liking it. Phono stages, especially MC phono stages, are very, very high gain, so low noise is critical, the reason it makes the most sense to a two-chassis setup and high transconductance tubes. An MC phono might have 65dB of gain, that's a voltage gain ratio of close to 2000!

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #6,674 of 6,808

LCR Phono Chassis Draft.png
Are you also cutting these yourself? If so, what type of equipment do you have?

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #6,675 of 6,808
Are you also cutting these yourself? If so, what type of equipment do you have?

No I don't cut them myself, Dave at Landfall makes my chassis, but I do all the design work. This way I don't have to do any machining, drilling of holes, etc. A lot of planning ahead gets the layout right the first time (usually).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back