Laptop recommendations
Aug 27, 2007 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Dimitris

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a laptop to replace my old Dell laptop that keeps getting too hot and shuts down. I am looking for a 15.4" widescreen laptop that will be used in the house for the majority of the time. The programs that I will use are Office, Internet, Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Lightroom so I would like 2GB of RAM. Games are not my thing but if it can play Call of Duty 2 (my favorite game) that will be an extra. What do you guys suggest?

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 38
Macbook Pro sounds like a winner - just be advised that MS Office for Mac is insanely expensive.

Also, this thread will be moved - there's an official "Gear-Fi" forum now! Cool!

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 38
Standard Macbook then? They are significantly cheaper, and it's my understanding that the "Pro" is a major case of diminishing returns - as in, most won't see a difference except under very heavy work loads...

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Standard Macbook then? They are significantly cheaper, and it's my understanding that the "Pro" is a major case of diminishing returns - as in, most won't see a difference except under very heavy work loads...

It all depends on what kind of work you intend to do. If you don't do anything that requires all the extra power of the pro, a regular Macbook should be sufficient (and will be a hell of a lot cheaper).

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 38
Thats tempting. I am more interested in the Macbook because $1700 for the Macbook pro is a lot of money for me. Maybe I should stop by an Apple store and play a bit. How easy is it install Windows and programs in the Windows part? Does it work like a partition of the hard drive?

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 38
Depends on how you do it. You can use bootcamp to make a windows partition, then run it via parallels or by rebooting to windows.

Or you can just use parallels, and windows apps run happily along side mac apps.

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 38
What are some good sites that I could dig into in order to see what the options are? Also if i want to do photoshop work will the Macbook work well with a 21" screen at good resolution? Also since I would like 2GB of Ram how easy is it to upgrade the memory? Thanks a lot in advance!

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 38
It's super easy to upgrade the memory (and hard drive) on the macbooks. The macbooks work just fine with external monitors, at whatever resolution the monitors support. The exception being you have to go to a macbook pro to be able to drive the 30" dual link dvi monitors.

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 38
do u guys find ssd worth the price premium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back