LCD-2 sound, less weight?
Jan 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

oopsydaisy

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all, but I'll go into a bit more detail. I've had my LCD-2s for almost a year now and I love the sound they produce, but... they're so damn heavy. I can't go for more than 1-2 hours without having to take them off and take a break because my neck feels like it's being compressed. I like to listen while I sketch, which can last 6-8 hours sometimes. I don't expect to go that whole time without taking a break, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to wear them 3-4 hours straight. And I would, all other things considered, because they are very comfortable to me.

I know there are not a lot of headphones out there that sound like the LCD-2(if any), but I thought someone who has experience with these might be able to recommend something close, but lighter. I already own a closed set, so I'd like open ones for home use. I'd also like them to be circumaural. I know the LCD-3 is out, but from what I've read, they weigh pretty much the same. 

Just so you have a better idea of my setup, I currently have my LCD-2s hooked up to a Yulong D-100(eventual upgrade to separate amp/DAC), which is hooked up to my mac mini. I don't care about balanced operation. I listen to all kinds of music, but great sounding vocals are my priority. I'm considering the Apex Peak/Volcano for my amp upgrade, if that helps narrow things down as far as pairing. 

If nobody has a suitable alternative to the LCD-2, I'm fine with doing what I've been doing, but I just thought I'd ask the question. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site, so I'm sure I'll get some good advice or at least some fun suggestions. One thing to keep in mind is that I don't seem to have a good place to audition hardware(in NYC, really), so I'll be going on your opinions and my experience with the LCD-2. Thanks in advance

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 30
I hear you, man...they are damn heavy. 3 hours at the most for me.
angry_face.gif
I wish you luck.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 30
The HD650 is probably the closest but that's mostly just because there aren't many headphones that are good and dark/warm like the LCD-2.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 30
While I recognize that Stax setups are highly regarded, for the time being, they are out of my price range. I know, I forgot to state a price range. I'd say I'm comfortable spending up to $2000 for a new set(these things better blow me...away), but obviously, I'd like to stay as far below as possible. As for the HD650, I haven't read too much comparison between them and the LCD-2(more HD800). Guess I better do some more research. Keep 'em coming

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 30
Why are Stax systems out of your price range? You can get an SR-Lambda on auction sites for around $200. Even if the SR-009 costs $5.2k in the States that doesn't mean that there aren't other good setups that can't be had on the cheap.

One of the vintage Lambdas with a used Woo GES (or maybe a new *07 variant) will do nicely. Now, whether or not that's the type of sound you're looking for, that's another story.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 30
How about a modded Fostex T50RP?  Some mods have come pretty close to the LCD-2 sound. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
While I recognize that Stax setups are highly regarded, for the time being, they are out of my price range. I know, I forgot to state a price range. I'd say I'm comfortable spending up to $2000 for a new set(these things better blow me...away), but obviously, I'd like to stay as far below as possible. As for the HD650, I haven't read too much comparison between them and the LCD-2(more HD800). Guess I better do some more research. Keep 'em coming

Well, the cost can be high but if you get lucky you may be able to get a deal.  In my experience The LCD-2 has not enough in common with either the HD800 or the HD650 to be considered close.  I remember listening to LCD-2's and one of the first things that hit me was how close they came to the O2 in many areas; soundstage be damned.  Since they are discontinued you would have to find a used set anyways (I'd guess $1500-$1600) and some decent Stax brand amps can be had around $5-600 until you upgrade.  I am almost certain you could listen to an O2 all day without fatigue or discomfort and the step up should be a pleasant surprise; you will need to move up to a serious amp to hear the O2 at their best though.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:
Why are Stax systems out of your price range? You can get an SR-Lambda on auction sites for around $200. Even if the SR-009 costs $5.2k in the States that doesn't mean that there aren't other good setups that can't be had on the cheap.
One of the vintage Lambdas with a used Woo GES (or maybe a new *07 variant) will do nicely. Now, whether or not that's the type of sound you're looking for, that's another story.

All of them besides the O2 are a lot brighter than the LCD-2 so they're out of the running.

Quote:
How about a modded Fostex T50RP?  Some mods have come pretty close to the LCD-2 sound. 

They usually end up pretty heavy after the mods are done though.  Also out of the running.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 30
For roughly similar signature balance, I can only think of the HD650's.

They have their own comfort issues, however. Not the weight but the clamp.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 30
I've never been a fan of used gear. Bad experiences, I guess. I am intrigued by the Stax gear, but a new pair of SR-007 MkIIs(Apparently, the MkI is preferred and unavailable new) plus a bone stock GES would run me about $4000, before shipping. This is the cheapest decent-quality amp for these, correct? If I was willing to give up my LCD-2s, the most I could get would be about 1/4 that cost. That leaves me having to shell out more than $3000 for close to the performance(or better, depending on who you ask) of the LCD-2. I see that Sennheiser officially announced the HD700, but it's too early to tell how they compare to the LCD-2. Good impressions from Jude, so far. Going back to the SR-007, what is it about the MkI that makes it superior/preferable to the MkII? And is the MkII very different from the LCD-2?                                                                    

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 30
I love the Ibasso P4 to drive them...going to get a balanced cable and use the PB1/2 try that out...but these phones make me WANT to listen as much as I can, no other phone has done that for me (HD650/Ultrasones/Grado)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back